Railroad right of way question

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Well... the train station in town the yellow line is like 18 inches ... that is way closer then I would want to stand filing. Now maybe a well weighted tripod I guess wouldn't be so bad.... Not sure the station agent would yell at you or not but took plenty of video on my phone.

Right, even behind the yellow line isn't always safe. The best example (an edited video of which is all over the internet) was in 1991 in the Chicago area at Downers Grove where a guy was filming the BN E9s in their last days.

The guy was filming safely behind the yellow line on the other side of the road with a tripod when a woman tried to run across the tracks at the sidewalk to beat another train; what she didn't see was the express train on the middle track, which hit her. Most versions of the video stop the split-second before she got hit.

In the unedited version you see the whole thing; she got hit, and the impact threw her body a good 100 feet or more, right into the guy with the tripod.

So always try to film from a safe location, and always keep a sharp eye out for moving objects (a loose steel band can take your head off in a second, not to mention getting hit by an unfortunate pedestrian).

6079smithw

Right, even behind the yellow line isn't always safe. The best example (an edited video of which is all over the internet) was in 1991 in the Chicago area at Downers Grove where a guy was filming the BN E9s in their last days.
They walked around the crossing arms... first mistake. Also seemed oblivious to the air horn of the 2nd train. Sad.

No such thing as being too careful around tracks. Double goes for grade crossings.