Raleigh Area Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi All,
I am from New York and I programmed a BC996T for someone who does some vacationing in the Wake Area.

He is currently on vacation, and tonight I got a phone call I was hoping not to hear.

"Hello, Phil.... I can't hear anything in Raleigh, or the Viper System...But Durham is fine!"

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. Now, with that said.. there is no way I am going to be able to help him, with out some help from "the locals" :)

I programmed ALL the Viper Transmitter sites in CC mode only... using the Butel/RR import utility.
I also programmed in ALL the conventional freqs for Raleigh I could find.

Would someone be willing to take a look at my Viper files for the BCD996T and tell me how/where I went wrong?

Right now, he has his radio in ID Search mode, and I will find out tomorrow if he's able to hear anything via search.... Either way - something isn't right!

Thanks for any help
PS- I started reading the VIPER sticky - but I can't possibly read 45 pages of threads.. :lol:

mhoward785

If he's in Raleigh or Wake Co just program the CC 868.7875 and use "CC Only". They very seldom use a different CC. Make sure it's programmed as a Motorola Type II system, not a P25 system. I use the UASD program and would be happy to share my files if needed.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Phil-
Matt is correct...all the gentleman would need to do is program the scanner to "control channel only" scan the following 2 frequencies:
868.7875Mhz (Primary CC)
868.5625Mhz (Alternate CC)
Matt is also correct in making sure the VIPER/Wake County system is setup as a Moto Type II system as opposed to a P25 system...the VIPER/Wake County system uses a 3600 Baud Control Channel which means it is NOT a true P25 system which uses a 9600 Baud CC...
If you cannot get the problem solved have the friend contact me at KE4ZNR@radioreference.com and I will try to meet up with him in person sometime over the next few days and help him out...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Marshall and Matt,
Thanks for the info, I will give him a buzz and let him know.

The system is set in his radio as a Moto 800Mhz Type II system. not as P25, since there are analog TG's in there.

I can only speculate that because there are so many sites programmed into his radio, and not all of them have the two control channels you listed, his radio is trying to lock onto too much that isn't there for him to hear.

I asked if he had a PC and the Cable, or I could ship him my cable... but he's "computerless" on this trip.. Oh well, remote desktop could have saved the day :)

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.