Raleigh PD Split District Dispatch Switch Tuesday 6th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have been given word that this upcoming Tuesday March 6th at 0500hrs (5am), Raleigh PD will switch permanently to Split District Dispatching.

For the new folks or for those that slept through the testing periods of Split District Dispatching that Raleigh Did over the last month or so here is a refresher course on the changes:

As most are aware Raleigh PD divides the city up into 6 districts:

2010RPDBeats.JPG

The Northwest District units have 1xx radio callsigns and their dispatch TG is 40016.
The North District units have 2xx radio callsigns and their dispatch TG is 40032.
The Northeast District units have 3xx radio callsigns and their dispatch TG is 40048.
The Southeast District units have 4xx radio callsigns and their dispatch TG is 40064.
The Downtown District units have 5xx radio callsigns and their dispatch TG is 40080.
The Southwest District units have 6xx radio callsigns and their dispatch TG is 40096.

Since Raleigh PD moved to 800Mhz all 6 dispatch talkgroups above have been patched together with one dispatcher dispatching calls citywide.

Raleigh PD has also used 3 Status Channel TGs:
40112= Southern Unit (4xx, 5xx, 6xx) Status (also known as "Ral 2")
40192= Northern Unit (1xx, 2xx, 3xx) Status (also known as "Ral 3")
40400= Special Ops Status (also known as "Ral 8")

On Tuesday at 5am RPD will be switching to "Split District Dispatching".
Once underway the following dispatch talkgroups will be
patched together and dispatched out independently:

• Northwest District (1xx Units) TG 40016 will be patched to Southwest District (6xx Units) TG 40096.
  • North District (2xx Units) TG 40032 will be patched to Northeast District (3xx Units) TG 40048.
  • Downtown District (5xx Units) TG 40080 will be patched to Southeast District (4xx Units) TG 40064.

With this new Split District Dispatching there is another big change: The 3 status TGs will NOT be used. All Dispatch & Status will occur on the Dispatch Talkgroup as evident in this example:
yOMhW.jpg

That means all radio traffic (calls, vehicle stops, status updates) will take place on one of the 3 sets of patched dispatch TGs. No more separation of dispatch & status on different channels/talkgroups.

Note that RPD Officers are advised to use their MCTs (Computers) for as much off radio routine status info such as report numbers, nature change, code, status to free up the Dispatch TGs.

Also note that High Priority calls (robberies, shootings) will still be dispatched over all 6 dispatch TGs.

Also Keep in mind that Wake County Event 10 (TG 34368) is set aside as a Countywide "Chase" Channel. This is for Multi-agency use for situations such as a pursuit that starts in one Wake County city/town and extends to other agencies jurisdiction.
I always recommend keeping Event 10 in your scan list.

To make it easy to understand I am sharing the following files...just right click and select "save as".

--Raleigh PD Split District Dispatching Word ".doc" document

Uniden HomePatrol HP-1 hpe files (Just import into Sentinel and write to your HP-1):
--All 6 RPD Districts in one hpe file
--RPD NWD and SWD Dispatch ONLY.
--RPD ND and NED Dispatch ONLY.
--RPD DD and SED Dispatch ONLY.

Freescan File for use with the BCD396XT & BCD996XT (should also work for 396t/996t):
--Freescan File.

Win500 File for use with various RS and GRE Scanners:
--Win500 File.
NOTE: Win500 file has the following setup:
Scan List 1= RPD NWD & SWD DISP
Scan List 2= RPD ND & NED DISP
Scan List 3= RPD DD & SED DISP
Scan List 4= RPD LE OPS TGs 5-12
Scan List 5= RPD DIST TAC 1s
Scan List 6= RPD DIST TAC 2s
Scan List 7= RPD Special Ops and INV TGs
Scan List 10= RPD Backup Status TGs & Front Desk

Win96 File:
--Win96 File.

Sorry fellow BC3 owners...I can't make you up a crystal set for these changes. :D

I am going to "stick" this thread for awhile to hopefully keep the questions to a minimum.

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
What Split District Dispatching looks like when viewed through Trunk88:

lRXMp.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have updated this thread with the news of the permanent
switch on Tuesday March 6th at 0500hrs.

I have also attached several scanner software files that are configured
with the new RPD Split District layout.

Get ready for the change!

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just now getting home from work so I have not had a decent
change to monitor all 3 Split Disp TGs but in the limited time
I have monitored today things appear to be rolling along pretty smoothly.
Give it a few days and I think folks will love the new setup :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

rpgallagher

Premium Subscriber
Patched RPD dispatch channels appear to remain available on their own. Today, a unit was talking with dispatch about how to handle a confusing call, and the talk was on 40016, the Northwest District talk group that is normally patched to Southwest 40096. It was the kind of traffic that would have occurred on one of the status talk groups under the old system. For what that's worth. I'm keeping all six dispatch talk groups active just in case there's more of this.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Patched RPD dispatch channels appear to remain available on their own. Today, a unit was talking with dispatch about how to handle a confusing call, and the talk was on 40016, the Northwest District talk group that is normally patched to Southwest 40096. It was the kind of traffic that would have occurred on one of the status talk groups under the old system. For what that's worth. I'm keeping all six dispatch talk groups active just in case there's more of this.

I should have explained this part better. RWECC has a total of 4 dispatchers that
handle Raleigh PD Comms. Before Split District Dispatching the dispatchers were divided
up as follows:
1 Dispatcher for "Raleigh 1 Citywide Dispatch"
1 Dispatcher for "South Unit Status"
1 Dispatcher for "North Unit Status"
1 Dispatcher for "Special Ops Status" and to help out when things get busy

With the implementation of Split District Dispatching these Dispatchers duties have changed:
1 Dispatcher for NWD & SWD Dispatch & Status
1 Dispatcher for ND & NED Dispatch & Status
1 Dispatcher for DD & SED Dispatch & Status
1 Dispatcher to help out when things get hectic and to help out on the LE OPS TGs.

The Individual District TGs can still be unpatched and relegated to the control of the
4th "spare" Dispatcher if needed. This was configured this way for situations like the following:

A pursuit starts in the NWD on the NWD/SWD patched TG pair. If the pursuit does not come close to the SWD then RWECC can make the decision to unpatch temporarily the NWD/SWD and handoff the SWD dispatching duties to the spare dispatcher until the situation is resolved. Then the NWD/SWD combo would be patched together again.

At no time did myself or anyone ever suggest not keeping all 6 dispatch TGs programmed in for monitoring. In all of my scanner software files above all 6 dispatch TGs are programmed in. It is more the organization of the TGs to their duties now.
You are best off to keep the dispatch TGs organized as follows:
--NWD Disp and SWD Disp together
--ND Disp and NED Disp together
--DD Disp and SED Disp together.

Since I use Uniden scanners heavily I have the above setup in 3 "groups" within a RPD system. That way If I am in NWD/SWD coverage area I turn on group 1. If I am in DD/SED area I turn on group 3.
That way I don't have to hear radio traffic for areas that I am no where near.
I really need to finish that updated Monitoring Raleigh PD Wiki article and get that online by the end of the weekend to help clear up some confusion :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall,
Does SET get to keep its status TG under the new arrangement
Ron

I am gonna guess you mean SEU/SWAT?

They never really used Raleigh 8 for status anyway.

If you are talking about Special OPs (800 Units) then they will use the
Dispatch TG for the district they are in. You will hear them do traffic
stops or help assist with calls during shift change or when there is
not enough officers to keep up with call volume.

The Special Ops and Investigative Talkgroups remain in service for use.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Gcom

Tg 40048

I noticed tonight that TG 40048 for the NED Disp is now being utilized by Wake Med ER. Forgive for I have been away from monitoring Raleigh PD since the Split District Disp. came into effect & have not yet updated My HP-1 . Is this change in the latest download since i see that it was suppose to be a Disp TG in the new arrangement ? Thx Rog

rpgallagher

Premium Subscriber
RPD NE Dispatch

That's weird indeed. I keep all six dispatch channels active Friday nights and all weekend when I'm in Raleigh working at the N&O, and I haven't caught that Wake Med traffic. RPD sometimes uncouples the districts if the situation dictates. (Yesterday afternoon, for example, they split SW and NW because SW had extra traffic going on.) I believe they're all still RPD TGs, though.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I noticed tonight that TG 40048 for the NED Disp is now being utilized by Wake Med ER. Forgive for I have been away from monitoring Raleigh PD since the Split District Disp. came into effect & have not yet updated My HP-1 . Is this change in the latest download since i see that it was suppose to be a Disp TG in the new arrangement ? Thx Rog

40048 has always been and continues to be
RPD Northeast District (NED DISP) Dispatch TG.
Simulcast Digital Distortion can cause false decodes in scanners from time to time
and that is probably what happened here.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Gcom

Raleigh Pd Tg's receiving Wake Med

I also just discovered the same issue with 40032 (RPD) receiving Wake ER. Btw this only occuring on the Homepatrol and not the 396xt. I am gonna deselect all of the Viper sites except Wake Simucast based on your comment . That is what remedied my problem when I could not receive RPD outside of the county.
Thanks Marshall.

Gcom

After some refinements , resetting my hp-1, updating , and avoiding all sites except Wake Simucast , I continue to experience problems with hospital ER's being received on RPD TG's. A new TG has entered the pic 40096. While this is occuring I am also monitoring with a BCD 396XT , Pro 2096 , & pro 106 and it is not happening on those units. This was not occuring on my HP-1 previous to March. Radio was not used between March & May 5th with 1st occurence on May 5th. Thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.