RAMBIS Video on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
YouTube - About the Regional Area Multi-Band Integrated System (RAMBIS)

A neat, 10 minute video that I came across on YouTube that is intended to familiarize emergency workers with the cross-band interoperability system that MARC installed around the KC Metro area.

I looked around RR and I couldn't find a listing of the RAMBIS freqs. I found the FCC system licenses- but no assignment as to which was RAMCALL, RAMTAC-1 etc. Anyone???

Last edited:

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
They are all the national public safety frequencies.

So in essence they are the same anywhere in the country.

The MARC licenses for RAMBIS are not on the national mutual aid freqs.

Last edited:

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
10-22 Was confused the the VHF Freqs. I see the UHF and 800 freqs are the national mutual aid channels.

Seems to defeat the whole "common terminogy" portion of NIMS by renaming nationally recognized channels. Hope that they are training their responders what the national names are too so that they can communicate when they leave MARC.

whunsinger

MARC licensed out VHF freqs to use as part of the system. They utilized the old NPSPAC channels for the rest. Two of the tac channels, RAMTAC 1 and RAMTAC 2 can be used by agencies using systems within any band. RAMTAC 3 and RAMTAC 4 can only be used by agencies with 800MHz systems. The NIMS/ICS compliance only has to do with terminology used during transmissions and unit identification practices, not radio channel identifications.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
The NIMS/ICS compliance only has to do with terminology used during transmissions and unit identification practices, not radio channel identifications.

Actually, while it is not in NIMS- common frequency labeling is included in the state and national mutual aid channel standard operation procedures. However, I found the following exception that even specifically dealt with RAMBIS constantly bridged channels when they were developing these national standards. It still doesn't permit the renaming of the NSPAC 800 channels that are not constantly bridged (e.g. so-called RAMTAC 3 and RAMTAC 4)

"However, NPSTC’s work with multiband interoperability gateways has highlighted one exception that must be made to these required names. When these channels are configured through a gateway, having interoperability channels linked together, but with different names, would be problematic for identification purposes. We therefore recommend that, during the time channels are linked through a gateway, they be exempt from a naming requirement but be required to conform to a local or regional plan that is on file with, and included in, the state plan(s) for that area as recommended in the NCC’s Final Report on state plans."

"As an example, a two state/seven county region in the Kansas City MO area is installing, with significant funding from a DHS Office for Domestic Preparedness UASI grant, a gateway system that will link the Call and two tactical channels together 100% of the time in the VHF, UHF and 800 bands across the entire region using a simulcast system with over a dozen sites."

BigC801

are they ever going to fix there RAMBIS system? at least up here in Clay County you can not understand what people are saying on it will all the interference and cross talk.

nec911

MARC licensed out VHF freqs to use as part of the system. They utilized the old NPSPAC channels for the rest. Two of the tac channels, RAMTAC 1 and RAMTAC 2 can be used by agencies using systems within any band. RAMTAC 3 and RAMTAC 4 can only be used by agencies with 800MHz systems. The NIMS/ICS compliance only has to do with terminology used during transmissions and unit identification practices, not radio channel identifications.

As a trained and experienced All Hazards COML I must disagree. NIMS/ICS compliance goes far deeper and reaches much farther than just the terminology and unit practices. I have not looked at the document here that I have on RAMBIS but if they put their own name on National Mutual Aid frequencies then I am going to be very concerned.

It is not wise to do this for any reason because of the fact that most people are going to get confused and they are not going to know what someone else is talking about. RAMBIS is going to be an asset because it has the frequencies but because of the naming scheme anyone outside the circle that comes in to help or needs a link/patch is going to turned down because the name of the channel they want does not fit.

I don't know many people who memorize the exact frequency readout of the National Mutual Aids, therefore if I was responding as a COML and needed a patch, I would have to sit down and read the book or see the schematic.

I have the document here on my desk somewhere about this system. Let me get caught up and I will dig down under the pile for it.

As a NIMS true believer and a practioner of NIMS, I have to say that this system is lacking and may end up being a waste like the so called "Shawnee County Interops."

Regards:
Nelson

nec911

YouTube - About the Regional Area Multi-Band Integrated System (RAMBIS)

A neat, 10 minute video that I came across on YouTube that is intended to familiarize emergency workers with the cross-band interoperability system that MARC installed around the KC Metro area.

I looked around RR and I couldn't find a listing of the RAMBIS freqs. I found the FCC system licenses- but no assignment as to which was RAMCALL, RAMTAC-1 etc. Anyone???

Thanks for posting this KAA951. Here is the website that I had been given that was at the bottom of my IN Box.

MARC Public Safety: RAMBIS

I think we should be concentrating our time and money on a system such as this hear in order to get everyone able to talk. We seem to have an addiction to 700/800 here and we could be effectively using VHF and UHF still.

I won't get on the soapbox any more today. Too much homework due Wednesday morning.

Regards:
Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.