Randolph Police Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

08GMC4X4

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Can anyone tell me why Randolph Police has such poor reception? They should put them on the MIRS system.

fineshot1

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Can anyone tell me why Randolph Police has such poor reception? They should put them on the MIRS system.

Thats a pretty tough question to answer when we...

1. do not know what radio and antenna equipment you are using

2. do not know where you are listening from

At the very least please go to your user cp and update your general local
area to your posts so we know what area you are in.

C

comsec1

very poor

Randolph police comes in bad all over randolph, I had mentioned something a year or so ago about this. they have a terrible set up what ever it is or however they have it set up. my guess is that they have remote receive sites and have old radio tie lines. if you listen you will hear a car call in and it sounds OK, then a second later you can barely hear them. probably being re-voted or the RTL levels fluctuating.

also it seems confined to the police frequency only, the DPW, fire and ems comes in good by me.

I don't understand why it has not been fixed yet, with the amount of good tower locations located within randolph this could be fixed with one good repeater on a high tower.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Agreed

Randolph police comes in bad all over randolph, I had mentioned something a year or so ago about this. they have a terrible set up what ever it is or however they have it set up. my guess is that they have remote receive sites and have old radio tie lines. if you listen you will hear a car call in and it sounds OK, then a second later you can barely hear them. probably being re-voted or the RTL levels fluctuating.

also it seems confined to the police frequency only, the DPW, fire and ems comes in good by me.

I don't understand why it has not been fixed yet, with the amount of good tower locations located within randolph this could be fixed with one good repeater on a high tower.

I cant agree with you more, I live within eye sight of the tower and reception is S@%T. I travel through randolph every morning and even in town their signal is garbage..I've even heard the officers ask to go to their nextel because they say "I cant make you out on the radio" Back in the day when they were on low band their signal was GREAT...For fire/Ems Dispatch I listen to their old Freq.(46.3600) They still broadcast their calls on this freq.(but it is not advertised on the freq. page in RR) and reception is great. Well just my 2 cents to back-up what you are saying

Last edited:

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
Your wish might come true...

Word at the shop is that Randolph will migrate to MIRS sometime around 1/1/11. Roxbury is scheduled sometime around 9/1/10. Randolph will keep their FD and DPW repeaters and possibly their EMS repeater on the air. FD and EMS as an "operations" repeater since they will be on the TRS response group.

But now for a bit of technical stuff. Randolph is licensed for something rediculousely small, like 37 watts ERP with a 7 degree antenna downtilt at (I forget the azimuth). The system has two sites. "Tactical" (repeater) has its transmitter at Town Hall, and three voting receivers (town hall, eastern end of rt-10 and western end of rt-10). This site was chosen to get into the shongum area and down by Ash Lane on Sussex Tpke. The main site is located near Sussex Tpke and Dover Chester Road. There are two antennas (one RX (approx 280') and one TX (approx 320')), going through a RX multicoupler and a TX antenna combiner, respectively. There are four transmitters at the main site, PD, FD, EMS and DPW. Each repeater has three voting receivers (Main site, eastern end of rt-10 and eastern end of sussex tpke). All hardware is identical and the tie lines are/were pretty reliable. There was a problem in the past of the Power Amplifiers burning up and the related channel would obviously have next to no power output.

That could possibly be the problem on the PD channel right now, but I do not service them to be able to tell you for sure.

Sorry if there are typos or other things that don't make sense, I typed this from my bb.

mopd090

The answer lies in your response. Randolph is using a voting system which "automatically selects" which Tx tower the car is closest to and only Tx's from that site. If your car is on the west side of town (near Roxbury border), the radio signal from the car may hit the closet tower but due to interference, the signal may be the strongest on the reciever on the east side or middle of town, which means this tower will transmit the signal.

If Randolph had used Quantar repeaters, all the repeaters would transmit at the same time (simultaneously with a GPS link). The problem with this system is $$$ ($20K per repeater). When most towns switched from low band (with steering) to VHF or UHF they kept the steering systems instead of upgrading to the expensive Quantars.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Wow bad system

The answer lies in your response. Randolph is using a voting system which "automatically selects" which Tx tower the car is closest to and only Tx's from that site. If your car is on the west side of town (near Roxbury border), the radio signal from the car may hit the closet tower but due to interference, the signal may be the strongest on the reciever on the east side or middle of town, which means this tower will transmit the signal.

If Randolph had used Quantar repeaters, all the repeaters would transmit at the same time (simultaneously with a GPS link). The problem with this system is $$$ ($20K per repeater). When most towns switched from low band (with steering) to VHF or UHF they kept the steering systems instead of upgrading to the expensive Quantars.

WOW if this is in fact how their system works how unsafe!!! if a cop is calling for help and the closest unit is on the other side of town he won't be able to hear (clearly)the officers request for help??? Because it won't transmit from all repeaters..How is it that my $150 HAM radio can talk and hear repeaters 50+ miles away cyrstal clear ,(and im NOT talking about the linked repeaters in the HAM systems) using a $35 antenna but a police system in one town cant be clear though out its jurisdiction.. kind of stupid don't ya think..?

Last edited:

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber

You need to read my post... Randolph has voting RECEIVERS, NOT voting transmitters. I think my post is very clear as to how the system works.

Like I said, there is NO difference between the PD, FD, EMS and DPW repeaters, even to the point that they share antennas. If a person is only receiving the PD channel poorly, I would suspect a problem with the power amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.