Range & Equipment Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam923

Hey guys I am a super newbie to radios, don't know too much about them, but I am a major aviation geek. I like to listen to the chatter from a bomb range in my state (NC). Except the only piece of equipment I have to listen to it is a Pro-164. Which of course only works withing a couple miles.

The range is actually a few hundred miles from my home. What kind of equipment or antenna would I need? Is it possible to use my Pro-164?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The range is actually a few hundred miles from my home. What kind of equipment or antenna would I need?

Depending on terrain, and a number of other factors, it might not be possible at all. A directional antenna up high and pointed toward the bombing range, along with a good quality low noise preamp may help. But at that distance, it's quite possible that nothing can be done.

Adam923

As the crow flies it is probably about 170 miles. I do have an extremely large directional antenna, sadly, I took it down a while ago and I really don't want to put it back up. I was just curious what kind of a setup I would need for that type of range.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.