range issue 436 & 325

Status
Not open for further replies.

joerobb23

hi please help i have a 436 & 325 i live about 30 miles northwest of nyc. i can pick up most frequencies with no issues. i have an issue with uhf & 800 doitt systems from nyc. the uhf's were fine & then last week could not receive anything. I have made multiple calls to uniden on 436 upgraded from sentinel. changed batteries and antennaes. i dont have an outside antennae. according to uniden if it worked before should work now. Ive read the manual & changed range settings in scanner. Any help would be greatly appreciated, They are installing sewers where i live could that have caused an issue with metal etc? when i get closer to work closer to nyc both scanners work fine. Any ideas thank you.

ScannerSK

hi please help i have a 436 & 325 i live about 30 miles northwest of nyc. i can pick up most frequencies with no issues. i have an issue with uhf & 800 doitt systems from nyc. the uhf's were fine & then last week could not receive anything. I have made multiple calls to uniden on 436 upgraded from sentinel. changed batteries and antennaes. i dont have an outside antennae. according to uniden if it worked before should work now. Ive read the manual & changed range settings in scanner. Any help would be greatly appreciated, They are installing sewers where i live could that have caused an issue with metal etc? when i get closer to work closer to nyc both scanners work fine. Any ideas thank you.

It sounds like a problem with radio interference to me. Why? It works near the place of employment but not at home and due to the fact that it started suddenly on two different scanners without any known changes on your end.

Possibly a new radio tower went live and is creating a lot of noise or interference in the area of your house? I wonder if you drove so far in each direction (North, South, East, West) you could locate what is causing the problem?

Shawn

joerobb23

thank you i know our county is phase 2 may be building new towers as well as orange county building phase 2 system. my receotion always better closer to work ? any other ideas??

marksmith

If the systems you have an issue with are digital and moving to or building new towers, it is possible that they have adjusted the propagation of the signal to no longer reach your area.

This is especially true if phase 2 is involved but not just because of that.

The whole reason for lots of places going digital and upgrading systems is due to changes in federal regulations regarding signals and bandwidths.

If you are not within the service area covered by those systems they may have just modified their systems to not go outside their service area and not to conflict with others, etc.

There are quite a number of systems I used to be able to receive, that once they upgraded, no longer reach me because the configuration of how the signal is directionally propagated to stay within their own county, etc.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

joerobb23

ok thanks but if the systems im trying to receive are phase 1 does phase 2 affect them? also if they are uhf nyc doitt & i can receive regular uhf fd pd etc from nyc shouldnt phase 1 continue to work?? Thanks

marksmith

ok thanks but if the systems im trying to receive are phase 1 does phase 2 affect them? also if they are uhf nyc doitt & i can receive regular uhf fd pd etc from nyc shouldnt phase 1 continue to work?? Thanks
Conventional reception from 30 miles away is easy. Phase 1 or 2 digital systems reception from 30 miles away is a lot trickier. Like I said earlier, more modern the system, the more likely it will hug the confines of the operation territory and not invade spectrum outside the operating territory.

The UHF and VHF stuff is very wide spectrum, ancient, and hammers out signals typically not directional at all.

If you are using a Phase 1 scanner, and the system you are listening to is phase 1, you will hear it fine. If the system is also phase 2 capable, you will only hear the phase 1 traffic from that site, meaning you will hear activity on a talkgroup as long as a Phase 1 radio is associated with the talkgroup. When that radio leaves the talkgroup, it will revert to phase 2.

Other phase 2 systems in the area will typically not impact your listening to a separate phase 1 system in general, but could, depending on new sites or towers and the frequencies involved.

Mark

joerobb23

436&325 range

again thanksfor help just went to work again & away from house picked up tranamissions should i chamge antennaes to stock 800 meg ant seem to do well? still frustrated

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip> should i chamge antennaes to stock 800 meg ant seem to do well? still frustrated

Not sure what you mean there, but you might see some improvement with a better antenna. If your band of interest is indeed 800 MHz you could try the Remtronix 800 antenna, which is essentially the same as the venerable Radio Shack RS800, but with an SMA connector that will fit your BCD436. For the 325 you'd need the BNC version, also available at Scannermaster. Or you could get the Radio Shack BNC one. In fact, you might try a BNC version of it first, which you could also use on the 436 if you use the BNC to SMA adapter that come with the 436. If it solves your problem, get the SMA version and you'd have both radios fixed up with better antennas.

REMTRONIX 800 MHz Portable SMA Antenna | ScannerMaster.com

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-800mhz-scanner-antenna

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Oops, I see after re-reading your first post your problem might be with UHF, not 800 MHz. If that's the case the RS800 antenna may not be of any help.

joerobb23

uniden range

again thank you for the info i have the same reception issue with my grecom scanner apparantly something happened to to mess up my reception really frustrating re programming changing batteries moving locations in the house changing antennaes & multiple calls to uniden& still no answers

marksmith

would it help to set range location inside 436 & 325mfordistance?
The 325 does not have a range setting.
If the systems are scanning and not receiving on the 436, range setting will not help. Will only help to extend the range setting if the radio isn't even loading the systems of interest.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.