• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Range Of GMRS Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

dksac2

I see a lot of posts saying GMRS radios will usually talk 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I'm sure this is true in urban areas, but we talk 5 plus miles in our rural valley. It slopes between two mountains on either side.
One person talks from the middle of a small town to another who is higher, but not on the mountain, just higher in the vallery about 6 miles.

I have talked 3.5 miles with Trisquares, but have not tried further.

So much depends on where you are transmitting. If you are rural, with scattered homes, no tall buildings and some varience in height, you can talk far more than most people post.

Where you live and the make up of the area makes a huge difference, so if you live in a rural area, fairly flat or one side higher than the other, don't let the reports of 1/4 mile scare you from getting a GMRS.
If you live in a Urban area, then maybe the 1/4 mile is more accurate.

John

miamimd1

There are so many variables with VHF and UHF comms that range estimates are too complex to accurately guess. I have 2 MURS handheld radios that can communicate 23 miles on 2 watts with my home base station (J-pole antenna) very easy on a 14th floor balcony. My GMRS 5 watt commercial radio can duplicate this as well just not as clear. On the ground ive gotten from 1/2 mile to 4 miles, 1/2 mile in the miami beach metropolitan area and 4 miles on GMRS on a long stretch of road.

k8krh

Murs is alot better, with my beam 27 to 30 miles average. GMRS UHF 3 or 4 miles, not for me.
doctor/795

miamimd1

Yeah out in the open nothing beats VHF, however around many buildings i.e (concrete jungle) UHF is definitely superior, VHF attenuates quickly inside building not so much for UHF. 900mhz frequencies are great too for short distance concrete and steel, LOS sucks though due to path-loss.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The post are also for PORTABLE (handheld) type radios. I get the same as everyone else on my portables, but on my mobile unit (GE Orion) I get quite a bit further on simplex at 40 watts. Elevation at 40 watts and I could probably talk a long, long way!

Status
Not open for further replies.