!?!?!?Range question/Idea?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
With many Thanks to whom ever set the ranges on El Paso county tower sites
Are there plans to do the same for the rest of the state?

Example of why I ask up my way Horsetooth Mtn can be heard Id bet more than 50 miles away wile
Mead is spotty at 15 miles in most directions
bald Mnt can be heard in eastern Berthoud but as you drive closer to Carter lake the hills block it 100%
yet all three are listed as 50 miles

Anyway I understand the task involved but I’m wondering if we all worked together could we make those range circles more realistic or is the task just way to much??

Just thinking and waiting for turkey!!
Have a blessed day!

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
The ranges are general in nature and are meant for programming the location-based scanners, and are really meant for that instead of being a coverage prediction map. We would entertain suggestions vetted in the forum for adjusting these on a per-site basis, but keep in mind that the coverage will be a circle radius around a point. So we could make Horsetooth have a 70 mile radius since it gets out on the plains really far, but that wouldn't be a reasonable approximation for the mountain coverage o that site. Personally I think that the set 50 mile radius for most of the DTRS sites works, but again, I would be open to suggestions made to the entire group for everyone to see and discuss.

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks Greenthumb I kinda figured it was something like that ,I just happen to be programming the springs and I noticed something other than 50 miles. I would wonder if maybe a compromise
of 15 to 25 miles for those Local towers would be a fair deal for example Auroria campus site is very local or PVH and Down town Loveland are as well were as mead seems stronger than those but certainly not as strong as Hoursetooth ...............

Anyway Ill judge by lack of response but 87 views its a mute point .........Now were are those leftovers

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
No problem. I have thought the same myself but I end up having the circular discussion above in my head and figure that what's out there must be alright since we don't hear too much discussion on it.

But again, if the group thinks we should do some tweaking, I am open to it.

Enjoy those leftovers ;)

rfburns

You don't have to enter the coordinates of the site. I have most of mine set for somewhere other than the site in order to tailor where a site turns off and on in my mobile 996T. In the Horsetooth example, move the coordinates 20 miles east, set the radius to 50 and that gives you 70 miles east of Horsetooth and 30 miles to the west.

You can also enter the same site as two or three sites with a smaller radius and overlay the circles to get more of a rectangular coverage. IMHO, when you do multiple coordinates for a site, the radio gets too busy turning on and off and beeping all the time. I'm happy using just one offset point. Mapping software helps you to come up with the offset coordinates and to visualize where a site turns on and off.

I realize that probably doesn't work well for the RR database and would confuse a lot of people as to where a site is actually located.

Status
Not open for further replies.