BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The way RR sets up the database rules for Departments is this: The location is approximately the center of the Department (which is an agency/city/entity). The Range of the Department is such that the circle will encompass that jurisdiction.

So if you have Mayberry with the Location being XXX/YYY as the town center and Mayberry is 5 miles across, the Range will be 2.5 (as in the radius of the circle for Mayberry). (If the Department Range was 0 and the scanner's global Range was 0, then the only time you can hear Mayberry is when you are at the town center.

The thinking was "Why listen to Mayberry if you are not in Mayberry?" So that is the basis for how things are done in the database.

Me, my preference is I want to listen to Mayberry before I get there if I am traveling. That way if the roads are impacted by an incident I know sooner than later and can think about a detour. Or I might be interested in listening to them because they are the community next to me, or I might know a responder there. So in that situation I tend to bump up the Range so I can monitor them.

Of course the price for me listening to Mayberry 10 miles before I get there, is that I gotta listen to them for 10 miles after I leave. But that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Pros and cons to everything and each "scannist" has their own desires. Modern scanners are flexible enough to accommodate all desires fortunately.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
what's the different between using range or no range for distance for any Department ?
If you are using just the main database, with no Favorites lists, then you need to enter your location and a range, plus designate the Service types you want to monitor. More about how location works here: How it Works: Location, Location, Location

If you are using one or more Favorites lists, you have a choice. You can specify whether or not any of your lists use Location Control. If the answer, for all of the lists you want to scan, is no (do not use Location Control), then you are not using location or a range. But if you are using location on any of the lists, that list may not be scanned unless you specify location & range details. For normal scanning, I do not use Location Control. I know which systems I can hear, and which I cannot, from my location.

However, if I were taking a trip to or through an area that I was not familiar with, then I would use location details to specify what the scanner should be focusing on. For a road trip, a GPS will keep your location updated/ However, you would need to specify a range.

For any System that you manually add, if you intend to use Location Control. then you need to specify location & range details for the system's Departments, as well as sites (if it is a trunked system). Otherwise, with those fields blank (no location entered for the department or sites), the scanner will treat them as out of range. (If no location is entered, the scanner treats that as zero degrees for botch latitude & longitude, which is a location in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Africa, and will simply ignore that system if you are using Location Control.)

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Try this link...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Try this link...

Thanks Randy

I’ll update my bookmark

scannerprogrammingofLvKs

Premium Subscriber
The way RR sets up the database rules for Departments is this: The location is approximately the center of the Department (which is an agency/city/entity). The Range of the Department is such that the circle will encompass that jurisdiction.

So if you have Mayberry with the Location being XXX/YYY as the town center and Mayberry is 5 miles across, the Range will be 2.5 (as in the radius of the circle for Mayberry). (If the Department Range was 0 and the scanner's global Range was 0, then the only time you can hear Mayberry is when you are at the town center.

The thinking was "Why listen to Mayberry if you are not in Mayberry?" So that is the basis for how things are done in the database.

Me, my preference is I want to listen to Mayberry before I get there if I am traveling. That way if the roads are impacted by an incident I know sooner than later and can think about a detour. Or I might be interested in listening to them because they are the community next to me, or I might know a responder there. So in that situation I tend to bump up the Range so I can monitor them.

Of course the price for me listening to Mayberry 10 miles before I get there, is that I gotta listen to them for 10 miles after I leave. But that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Pros and cons to everything and each "scannist" has their own desires. Modern scanners are flexible enough to accommodate all desires fortunately.
Tks for the reply appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.