Rangecast Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hullonian

Has anyone tried the New Rangecast Scanner just made available by the Quincy Patriot Ledger. The link is at the top of the Ledger's homepage. It seems to work well and is customizable to some extent by the listener. I'm not sure who is doing the uploading, but the reception for the most part is very good over a very wide range of South Shore towns. The only major problem I can see is the time lag which can be a few minutes in some cases.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I have listened to a few of those feeds. Whatever they are using for scanner/antenna setups it works very well, reception is incredible.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Norwood doesnt seem to be heard on the Norwood feed. North Andover PD is heard on the North Attleborough PD. Some of the signals are scratchy - like Cambridge PD. There does not seem to be any 800 Mhz feeds - yet. I assume they have a few tweaks to get the system in tip top shape.

I noticed that the Flint Michigan newspaper put a couple of Radio Reference feeds online recently. Maybe this will start a major trend on the news media websites.

Hullonian

My town of Hull shows on the scanner as a bank, but is still not heard yet. Whoever provides the feed to Rangecast is most likely having the same problem I am having picking them up. I noticed several others are not working, but I'm sure it's all a work in progress. Cambridge may be on a low power temporary transmitter as they prepare for 800. They are scratchy. Most others work great. Now you just have to dedicate one of your older computers to use as a scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed some small anomalies as well, such as Gloucester being included on the Georgetown feed and a few other small things, but overall, a very neat system.

On the other hand, I have been trying to contact them for some information about setting such a system up for my own needs, with no luck at all.

I have emailed the address given at the rangecast website with some specific questions, and also there is an informational brochure promised by emailing scannermaster. It's been a week now and no reply from either address.

I guess they must have enough customers already!!

Hullonian

Try contacting Rangecast through wickedlocal.com newspapers like the Quincy Patriot Ledger. That might get you better info.

sm1rich

Scanner Master Representative
Scanner Master Representative
Rangecast Info

Hi, I'm part of the Rangecast team. Really appreciate all the very positive words about our technology. This was a massive project for this media outlet in eastern Massachusetts and we're still doing some final tweaking on it. We are aware of those few glitches and we should have most if not all resolved by sometime in March if not sooner.

Rich Barnett

Hullonian

Does Scannermaster (Rich) or anybody else know when the Hull link will be live? That's the hot one for me. Hoping soon. Thanks

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hullonian - this feed has Hull listed - Scanner Wicked Local Milton - I dont know if that is the feed you tried

Several of the "Wicked Local" sights have Hull listed as one of the agencies covered for that particular area, but I have noticed the same that Hullonian has - there seems to be no feed to it.

Also, Wakefield was working good when I first listened to it, but now some other town is being fed through it. But still, a very nice system - and as Rich Barnett said above they still have some tweaking to do.

I'd contact scanner master they are the ones who set up the system

When I was trying to find out some info about costs and procedures involved with setting up their system for my company, I did contact Scanner Master as well as contacts listed on the Rangecast website twice - I received no reply from either. :(

Hullonian

Several of the "Wicked Local" sights have Hull listed as one of the agencies covered for that particular area, but I have noticed the same that Hullonian has - there seems to be no feed to it.

Also, Wakefield was working good when I first listened to it, but now some other town is being fed through it. But still, a very nice system - and as Rich Barnett said above they still have some tweaking to do.

When I was trying to find out some info about costs and procedures involved with setting up their system for my company, I did contact Scanner Master as well as contacts listed on the Rangecast website twice - I received no reply from either. :(

I would guess that the Hull feed is not active because police and fire are so difficult to receive. I live a couple of miles from the transmitter site and reception is intermittent at best.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I guess it's coming along a bit at a time, A friend in Tyngsboro was happy to see his town come online about 6 weeks ago on Wiced Local's Westford page, but no transmissions have been heard from Tyngsboro since it showed up.

Last edited:

crowleyd102

Premium Subscriber
Marblehead feed silent

Do you know why the Marblehead Rangecast in the Wicked Local Northshore group has good silent?
Can you suggest someone to contact?

Thanks,
Dave Crowley, St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.