Ranger Involved Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
What I know so far all from scanner traffic. A Sac County Park Ranger was involved in a fight with a subject. The ranger shot at the subject he then got in his car drove to the intersection of Winding and Illinois crashed his car then car jacked another car at that intersection and drove west on Winding then crashed the car jacked vehicle into a ditch he is now trapped in the car.

RolnCode3

Park ranger shoots suspect along American River Parkway
By Crystal Carreon -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 10:30 am PDT Monday, August 21, 2006

Get weekday updates of Sacramento Bee headlines and breaking news. Sign up here.

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)
[Updated 11:05 a.m.] A Sacramento County park ranger shot a burglary suspect Monday morning after he allegedly tried to drive away after punching the officer during a brief encounter at the American River Parkway, officials said.

The ranger, identified as Kathleen Utley, was reportedly recovering from a swollen cheek, as authorities investigated the 9:47 a.m. shooting near Sailor Bar area of the park in Fair Oaks.

The name of the suspect was not immediately released. He was taken to Mercy San Juan Medical Center where his condition was not known.

Shortly before 10 a.m., Utley was responding to a report of a possible burglary suspect sleeping in a vehicle at the park, said Daniel Hernandez, park ranger dispatcher. An unidentified female was also in the car.

When Utley questioned the man and began verifying his information, he "sucker-punched her," then tried to flee, Hernandez said.

Utley then fired two rounds, striking the driver moments before he crashed into a ditch.

The shooting was the first in about a decade to involve county park ranger.

cristisphoto

YEP he had it coming ...
I mean DUDE he not Only Assaulted a sworn Officer
But a female at that...
HE obviously does NOT deserve to be in ANY society except MAYBE
A Prison...
BUt then if he was that pathetic I wouldn't want any Correction Officers to be threatened by him either..
SO yeah He had those rounds coming
Shots out to Ranger Utley
and May she rest and Heal.
GET ER DOONE,
My gal,
GET ER DOONE!!!!
Warm regards,
Crista

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
The paper doesn't make it sound like a clean shoot for the officer. Hopefully the details are different that what's reported (frequently the case, in my experience).

I've learned LONG ago not to question what happened based on a media report.

Hope the cop's doing well, and can get through the weeks of aftermath that those few seconds will result in.

My county doesn't arm it's park rangers. Crazy, if you ask me.

servo_fan

Channel 3's story says the suspect attacked the ranger with a screwdriver, then fled in a car and crashed, whereupon he carjacked another car and crashed again. He was then taken into custody.

cristisphoto

Kirk said:
The paper doesn't make it sound like a clean shoot for the officer. Hopefully the details are different that what's reported (frequently the case, in my experience).

Hope the cop's doing well, and can get through the weeks of aftermath that those few seconds will result in.

My county doesn't arm it's park rangers. Crazy, if you ask me.

ROG all that
Yeah The media Here at least I have learned NOT to Base ANY facts on..
Of course NO one but The people on scene and ALLAh knows...
Secondly the lack of arms for Park law Enforcement officials is INSANE!!!!.
I mean Its where most of your trouble happens..
Folks get drunk,
Juvies hang out,
and/or get drunk
You get the picture!
In fact here in Frisco a while back about I KID YOU NOT,
20 or so juvies beat up about three indviduals for their wallets...
IN A PARK!!!
Now what are you going to say with Just Pepper spray or a baton
UM PLEASE NOT HURT ME LOL
UHH HELLLO!!!
THE ONLY thing that MAY work when you have the MOB Mentalty
is a full fledged firearm
NOT a little bitty 22 but
A shottie AT LEAST
But Anyways
I rest my case!!
Wait actually Not:
Allah Forbid SHe was umarmed she may have been beaten to death...
:twisted:
ANd YES its happened to cops before...
So Whomever is in charge needs a dismissal slip
or get their Officer's Porper weapons...
Forgive me of my angst
BUT Good Grief how can the Public feel safe If their Public Safety official Aren't

RolnCode3

For now, all I can say is that:

The officer is doing OK. She was hit in the face several times.
Subject had a 35K warrant.
He was shot at least once, but was released and is now booked at the Main Jail.
Details are sketchy regarding the screwdriver.

As her union rep (NOT her attorney), I can't put anything else on paper, although some of the details are still sketchy.

This is the third officer involved shooting the department has been involved in since the Rangers gained peace officer powers, and were armed (in the mid 80's)

Last edited:

cristisphoto

Thank you RohnCode 3
for the Update..
She may be alright physically
But don't kid yourself she's gonna need ALL the support you all can give her
and Patience..
The Mental effects, trauma etc may not show for months, years,
it varies on the individual
ANd yeah she may act all tough as to not let her peers think less of her
But Believe me she will have lasting effects
SOOOO
ANyways,
Just sayin!!!
Nough gettin mushy for me....:roll:
LOL
With the upost respect and Warmest regards
AND of course my
thoughts and prayers
Crista

RolnCode3

Suspect in custody after being shot by park ranger, car crashes
By David Richie -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 8:07 pm PDT Monday, August 21, 2006

Get weekday updates of Sacramento Bee headlines and breaking news. Sign up here.

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)
A man was shot by a Sacramento County park ranger Monday morning but escaped into Fair Oaks above Sailor Bar, where he allegedly carjacked a vehicle only to wreck it a few moments later, investigators said.

The incident started about 9:45 a.m. when a park ranger identified by a dispatcher as Kathleen Utley tried to investigate a white Ford Focus parked near the Illinois Avenue entrance to Sailor Bar on the American River.

Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran said the vehicle matched the description of a car used in a recent burglary.

Curran said the car was occupied by a man and woman and it looked like they had just finished changing a tire.

"The man tried to walk away but the ranger stopped him," Curran said.

The man, later identified by sheriff's investigators as Karlawan Seunarine II, started fighting with Utley when she tried to do a pat-down search.

"He produced a weapon, either a knife or a screwdriver, and the ranger shot him," Curran said.

He gave this sequence of following events:

Although hit in the upper body, Seunarine got back into the Ford Focus and drove away. He collided with another car a few blocks north at Illinois Avenue and Winding Way.

When another driver stopped to make sure everybody was OK, Seunarine stole that car. He barreled west down a steep hill on Winding Way, where he lost control and rolled the car into a ditch.

The suspect was still inside when emergency personnel arrived to extricate him and transport him to Mercy San Juan Medical Center in Carmichael, Curran said.

By mid-afternoon Seunarine was out of surgery and expected to survive. He was under arrest and being interviewed, but it was not yet clear what offenses he would be charged with, Curran said.

The suspect had a domestic violence-related warrant for his arrest out of Yolo County but not much else was known about him, Curran said.

His female companion did not participate in the fight with Utley or the escape up Illinois Avenue, Curran said. She was taken into custody at Sailor Bar.

Utley suffered bruises and contusions. There was no information available about the condition of the people in the Winding Way-Illinois Avenue crash, but Curran did not think they suffered serious injuries.

A sheriff's spokesman would not confirm that Utley was the officer involved or other information about the officer.

The Bee's archives indicate Utley has been a ranger with peace officer status since about 1988 and was involved in a 1991 shooting.

While on duty in 1991, Utley shot a man who threatened her and her partner with a hunting knife, according to a story in The Bee. The man survived the shooting in Discovery Park, near downtown Sacramento. The county honored Utley and her partner for their actions, a later story said.

Monday's incident disrupted the upscale Fair Oaks neighborhood for much of the day. One of the difficult aspects of the case was that there are three crime scenes - the area where the shooting took place, the intersection of Illinois Avenue and Winding Way where the alleged carjacking occurred and the scene a little farther west where the man rolled the stolen car.

By 1:45 p.m., Utley was walking through the first crime scene with sheriff's investigators.

servo_fan

The Bee's archives indicate Utley has been a ranger with peace officer status since about 1988 and was involved in a 1991 shooting.
Wow, involved in 2 shootings? While Hollywood movies and tv shows would make that seem like a low number, in reality it seems high. Glad she's okay.

556fmj

servo_fan said:
Wow, involved in 2 shootings? While Hollywood movies and tv shows would make that seem like a low number, in reality it seems high. Glad she's okay.

Yup, I was suprised to hear that too. I was one of the many units that responded to the shots fired call. We had great help from the surrounding districts (Northwest, RCPD/East and CHP).

I talked with the Ranger and she seem to be doing ok after this ordeal.

kma371

QRT
Kirk said:

I can't agree with you more!! Never believe what the paper/news says folks, 99% of the time it's an incorrect account of what really happened.

RolnCode3

kma371 said:
Bail is kinda low in this county. (talking about the new charges)
How so? It's only 8 felonies and 3 misdemeanors!

Wow...watch him post bail. Can only wonder how much trouble he can get into while out. It looks like he might have gotten into a fight at the jail as well, because that 243c2 I don't think is related to the arrest.

kma371

QRT
RolnCode3 said:
How so? It's only 8 felonies and 3 misdemeanors!

Wow...watch him post bail. Can only wonder how much trouble he can get into while out. It looks like he might have gotten into a fight at the jail as well, because that 243c2 I don't think is related to the arrest.

Well, for all the charges against the peace officer, that seems low. I think our bail schedule is higher. Oh well.

The new charges have the same case # so maybe they are related.

Status
Not open for further replies.