Rank Amateur needs antenna troubleshooting help(YAESU FT-2800M)

theoctavist

My uncle has gotten into ham radio lately, to pass the time after retiring. He just got a license, etc. He has a yaesu ft-2800M. Prior to two days ago, he was able to pick up signal(stations?) , communicate, etc. On that day he made an adjustment to his antenna, keyd the mic up, and from that point on, he hasnt been able to pick up any channels(people? signals? forgive me. .i dont know the lingo. im a big audiophile/pro audio gear/instrument repair/maintenance guy, build my own speakers, crossovers, mics, guitars etc...but this Ham Radio realm is a whole new thing to me. terra incognita) the only thing he did was move the antenna.. (although he said someething about keying up the mic too close to antenna???) the 2800 and power supply work fine, they both power on... audio output is fine.. but were only getting static. before this event, he was able to pick up stations and talk etc with no issues at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My uncle is not in the best physical health, fixed income etc so he calls me. I know im a complete rookie, dont know anythng at all really. . but I have to at least "try" to diagnose as best I can. thank yall so much. TR

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Welcome to RR!

Lots of things come into play here and troubleshooting is more of an art than exact science. Here's some suggestions (not in any particular order):

• Check the programming (did it get corrupted or erased)? This means look at the programmed channels on the display and/or "read" the radio with the programming software.
  • Check the antenna cable connections both at the radio and at the antenna. Make sure they're secure.
  • Disconnect the antenna cable from the radio and antenna, then use a VOM to check the antenna cable for a "short". Depending on the antenna's design, you can also check the antenna, but know that some antennas will show a DC short because of their design, but be perfectly fine. Also make sure nothing is actually touching the antenna itself and that it's not in close proximity to any large metallic objects.
  • Check the radio's power supply voltage and wiring. The power supply should be putting out about 13.5 - 14.0 VDC. The wires should have a secure connection.
  • IF you can successfully "read" the programming and save the codeplug, you can also do a "factory reset" which will erase all the pre-programmed channels and preferences and return the radio to the original factory settings. After doing this, then test the RX and TX functions by manually setting up some test channels.
  • You didn't specify your uncle's location, so I'm going to work on the assumption he's in the USA. Try tuning in one of the NWS weather radio channels if there's one in his vicinity. They're wideband analog FM and broadcast continuously. I'd try it with the radio connected to the antenna normally and with the antenna disconnected, but a 18"-20" length of wire connected to the center terminal of the PL259 antenna jack. (DO NOT KEY THE MIC). This will check the VHF receive function. If there's an airport close by, you can also try that airport's ATIS frequency which will also be a continuous broadcast.
  • Connect the radio to a "dummy load" and power meter and key the mic. The radio will need to be set to a frequency between 144-147.995 MHz which is the limits of the 2meter ham band. You'll be looking for (1) an indication of transmit power and (2) check of the transmitted power is within the specified range of the radio which will have a "high", "medium" and "low" power range.
  • Try a "known good" radio or scanner on the antenna.
  • Call Yaesu customer service for additional assistance.

bharvey2

I checked the manual for this radio and it also picks up the 7 NOAA weather channels. Using the same procedure as LADN detailed in point 6, you can also press the P4 button on the mic and gain access to those channels. You should be able to pick up one or two and verify whether or not the radio is receiving properly.

theoctavist

How did he move it? Where did he move it from? Where did he move it to?

Details are important.I

just got off the phone with him. He said he was cycling through channels and listening/ talking as he normally does. He said he hit the transmit button. That's all. He did not move the antenna(he moved it earlier this year but I got the stories confused). So yeah. Transmit button and kaput.

Last edited by a moderator:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
He said he hit the transmit button. That's all. He did not move the antenna(he moved it earlier this year but I got the stories confused). So yeah. Transmit button and kaput.

So, that's kind of odd.

I'd suggest taking a close look starting at the antenna connector on the radio, all the way to the antenna, Make sure there is no damage or signs of water intrusion. Often lack of waterproofing of outdoor connections is an issue.

Also, as others have said, check programming/radio settings.

Even if SWR was through the roof, hitting the transmit button isn't going to immediately blow anything up, and shouldn't impact receiving. I'd really lean towards radio programming issue if I was a betting man (I ain't).

bharvey2

You mentioned a power supply. What is its current capacity? Also, what signs did your uncle see that would make him equate keying up as the cause of the radio failure? As mmckenna pointed out, a short transmission coupled with bad SWR wouldn't immediate damage the radio. Some details are missing.

theoctavist

You mentioned a power supply. What is its current capacity? Also, what signs did your uncle see that would make him equate keying up as the cause of the radio failure? As mmckenna pointed out, a short transmission coupled with bad SWR wouldn't immediate damage the radio. Some details are missing.
He said that after he keyed it up , it stopped working. Said it was good to go before that, sir. Re psu capacity MFJ 4225-MV

bharvey2

He said that after he keyed it up , it stopped working. Said it was good to go before that, sir. Re psu capacity MFJ 4225-MV

The reason I asked about the power supply is that a sub-optimalr power quality can cause a lot of weird things to happen. It's not uncommon for an underpowered supply or poor connections to cause the radio to shut down or reboot, expecially upon keying up because the radio is demanding more current while transmitting. This problem is usually short-lived and things can return to normal when the radio goes back to receive mode. MFJ has a history of questionable quality control so while the power supply may be fine, it would be worthwhile to confirm it's voltage output in both idle and "under load" states.

As others have pointed out, it's time for basic troubleshooting steps. Since you mentiioned you're a ham radio greenhorn, you probably won't have SWR meters and what not but I supect you have and are comfortable with DVM/VOMs etc. Visually inspect all power and antenna connections. Confirm voltage as close to the radio as possible (in both receive and transmit if the radio powers up) Once you get that done then start looking at the basic receive testing that was mentioned in earlier posts.

While it's possible the radio is bad, it's more than likely that there is something going on that your uncle hasn't noticed and passed on to you. Heck, when your done, you may find that you have a new hobby yourself.

theoctavist

Yessir I've had an interest for a while, just needed a good jump off point, and here it is lol! I do actually have an swr Meter and made a dummy load already (I've been into audio /recording electronics/hifi/speakers /reel to reel/phonographs for a long time ) y'all are the best really. Thank you so much

ladn

Premium Subscriber
I do actually have an swr Meter
Sounds like you're on the right track. Make sure your SWR meter is for VHF/UHF as opposed to one for CB.

Since the radio appears to power up, I'd try Rx testing as outlined in #2. Do make sure that the radio is set to receive CARRIER SQUELCH (CSQ) as opposed to Tone Squelch (TSQ). The NWS channels will be fine for VHF but you may have to use the VFO and tune around for UHF activity (you may have to tune above 450 MHz if you don't hear anything in the ham UHF band).

theoctavist

Sounds like you're on the right track. Make sure your SWR meter is for VHF/UHF as opposed to one for CB.

Since the radio appears to power up, I'd try Rx testing as outlined in #2. Do make sure that the radio is set to receive CARRIER SQUELCH (CSQ) as opposed to Tone Squelch (TSQ). The NWS channels will be fine for VHF but you may have to use the VFO and tune around for UHF activity (you may have to tune above 450 MHz if you don't hear anything in the ham UHF band).
Well, good news. It's working just fine now! The only thing I did was replaced the barrel connector. So I suppose it is just a matter of setting up/optimizing the antenna? End user error? I do have an SWR Meter, now just need to figure out how to set up an antenna! My uncle is a great man, and I'm just trying to avoid him spending money if possible. I'd rather invest my free time helping him. Plus, I like learning. Y'all are the best, truly. Thank you so much!

ladn

Premium Subscriber
Well, good news. It's working just fine now! The only thing I did was replaced the barrel connector. So I suppose it is just a matter of setting up/optimizing the antenna? End user error? I do have an SWR Meter, now just need to figure out how to set up an antenna!
Glad it was a simple fix!
What kind (manufacturer/model) of an antenna are you going to be working on and where will it be placed? Most ham antennas are tuned about right from the factory. In the world of antennas, everything affects everything else. You might want to open a new thread (with reference to this thread) and ask about tuning the antenna and optimizing the system.

Remember that SWR meters are frequency/band specific. A CB SWR meter won't give accurate readings at 2 meter ham frequencies. If you can get your hands on an antenna analyzer or nano vna, these instruments will give a better picture of antenna performance.

theoctavist

Glad it was a simple fix!
What kind (manufacturer/model) of an antenna are you going to be working on and where will it be placed? Most ham antennas are tuned about right from the factory. In the world of antennas, everything affects everything else. You might want to open a new thread (with reference to this thread) and ask about tuning the antenna and optimizing the system.

Remember that SWR meters are frequency/band specific. A CB SWR meter won't give accurate readings at 2 meter ham frequencies. If you can get your hands on an antenna analyzer or nano vna, these instruments will give a better picture of antenna performance.
Thank you sir. I grabbed an astatic analog meter (because it was all he had) from Radio Shack and I've ordered an H4. that should be here within the week I reckon! I have no idea how to use either of them but the way I figure it; well; I'm real good with SPL/FFT/Spectrum Analyzers and anything in the audio domain. (been a recording engineer and musician since I was in my teens (I'm 47 now);so it can't be *too* hard? (I'm probably wrong. Ha)