Ransom Canyon Traffic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich806

Member-KE5EWY
I am in Lubbock TX and am trying to listen to Ransom Canyon which is on a P25 Phase II System. I can hear the Simulcast group (PD, FD, EMS) with no problem but on Radio Reference it even lists Ransom Canyon and 3 Freqs and shows RFSS 5 (5) Site 005 (5) and I have it downloaded to my SDS100 in the bundle which also includes Idalou and Abernathy and they have listings and it even flashes Ransom Canyon on the Display (for a quick second) under Lubbock County along with Abernathy and Idalou vs the 16 freqs for simulcast. I tried to copy just the Ransom Canyon part to create it's own area but it will not let me append that by itself. Can anyone let me know what I'm missing. I'm sure it's something simple. Thank you.

Attachments

• RRPIC.jpg
    RRPIC.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 8

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am in Lubbock TX and am trying to listen to Ransom Canyon which is on a P25 Phase II System. I can hear the Simulcast group (PD, FD, EMS) with no problem but on Radio Reference it even lists Ransom Canyon and 3 Freqs and shows RFSS 5 (5) Site 005 (5) and I have it downloaded to my SDS100 in the bundle which also includes Idalou and Abernathy and they have listings and it even flashes Ransom Canyon on the Display (for a quick second) under Lubbock County along with Abernathy and Idalou vs the 16 freqs for simulcast. I tried to copy just the Ransom Canyon part to create it's own area but it will not let me append that by itself. Can anyone let me know what I'm missing. I'm sure it's something simple. Thank you.
I'm not sure exactly what you want to do here.

"Ransom Canyon" is the name of a site on the Lubbock City-County System.

It is not a specific agency that you can monitor. Those three frequencies listed are used by the site for coverage in that area. You indicate that you are hearing PD, FD, etc, from the system, but there is no specific agency or talkgroup identified as "Ransom Canyon". Programming just those frequencies as a separate system is not going to gain you anything you can't already hear using the Lubbock system.

You cannot append just that single site via Sentinel. But you can either create a system, using just those frequencies in a site, or append the Lubbock system, then either delete the other sites (Simulcast, Idalou, and Abernathy), or set them to Avoid so that they are not scanned. You can also show all the talkgroups currently listed as Avoided (locked out). Then, set the system, with Ransom Canyon as the only site, to scan via ID Search mode, to find any talkgroups not currently in the database for that system. Just remember that if you find an unlisted talkgroup being carried on the Ransom Canyon, that does not necessarily mean that Ransom uses it, only that it was carried on that site. You would need to listen to how it's being used, and then see if you can identify who it is, and what it's used for,

I do see a conventional (non-trunked) license for Ransom:

That is not currently listed in the database, but you can create a conventional system using that data, or add the frequencies to one of the existing departments listed for the county.

If you scan only the Ransom Canyon site, in either the existing Lubbock system, or one that you manually create using only that site, with the system set to ID Search, you would hear any talkgroups, carried on that site, that are not listed in the database.

If you find either talkgroups apparently used by Ransom, or can identify usage for any of the conventional frequencies for that city, then submit the information to the database so that can be included.

Note that you also have the option of running a Discovery session on the Lubbock system, selecting the Ransom Canyon site. That will let you se which talkgroups are being carried on the site, and also recording up to ten minutes (600 seconds) of transmissions that you play back later to assist in identifying the users.

FireJustin

Keep in mind, Ransom may use other communications methods on the regular - VHF or UHF. Keep an eye out of other frequencies in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.