Rappahannock County

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfburns

There's a couple of new TG's that have come into use over the last 2-3 weeks. One is, 28752, which I believe is Rapp Sheriff car to car.

For about a month or more there has been a permanent patch to Warren County on 153.8525 Mhz, D351. I don't know if it originates directly from a TG or from one of the low band chs. Warren Co is still using the ch as FG 2, mostly without a CTS or DCS although I have seen 162.2 show up a few times. I don't know if it has a priority provision for collisions when the ch is being used for both purposes.

smwincva

Premium Subscriber
I know Rappahannock County has been slowly migrating to the Fauquier/ Culpeper TRS over the last few years. Last summer the FCC website showed a new tower for their county, using the current freqs from the Fauquier system, and adding 868.975. I am unsure how long until the switch is complete. However thier is still traffic using both low band & the 800 systems.

As far as 153.8525, I could not find it the FCC data base in 2008 when I first noticed it. (It also bleeds onto Jefferson Co WV's & Frederick Co MD old analog channels on my scanners.) I first started hearing the traffic when they started using the hand me down radios from Fairfax Co VA. All the traffic seems to be a one second delay from the TRS. But the nightly radio test does not mention the 800 system, only the low band freqs.

Steve

AES-256

For about a month or more there has been a permanent patch to Warren County on 153.8525 Mhz, D351. I don't know if it originates directly from a TG or from one of the low band chs. Warren Co is still using the ch as FG 2, mostly without a CTS or DCS although I have seen 162.2 show up a few times. I don't know if it has a priority provision for collisions when the ch is being used for both purposes.

Acutualy, it's been active for a year and a half. It's a crossband repeater for CO. 9's use to talk back with Rappahannock on Low Band from VHF. The Cross Band Repeater is a Motorola RICK attached to two CDM 750's 33.480 to 153.8525 located at Fire Station 9.

rfburns

Is there any chance that they moved it recently? I know station 9 is at about 1620' elevation, but I would think there would also be some terrain blocking to the north and west. On Christmas eve when Station 10 was out doing their Santa thing, the patch was a whole lot stronger in Winchester than the Station 10 mobiles. It just seems strange that as much time as I have spent in Clarke and Frederick counties in the last 1.5 years that I never heard the patch before and now it is full quieting.

AES-256

Is there any chance that they moved it recently? I know station 9 is at about 1620' elevation, but I would think there would also be some terrain blocking to the north and west. On Christmas eve when Station 10 was out doing their Santa thing, the patch was a whole lot stronger in Winchester than the Station 10 mobiles. It just seems strange that as much time as I have spent in Clarke and Frederick counties in the last 1.5 years that I never heard the patch before and now it is full quieting.

It's at the same location. Maybe the radio tech from Valley Two-Way has adjusted the transmit power levels. It's a great location for North, East and South propagation if you need to work some HAM repeaters in Pa., DC or Richmond.

For the Sheriff's Office, they should be moved over to 800MHz while still simulcasting on 39MHz. Work continues on the new 150 foot tower in Little Washington behind the SO. They are going to place the Low Band Antennas on the structure. Why on earth they will not consider remoting to a hill top somewhere in the county for better coverage is beyond me....oh, I'm sorry, the citizens/county will not allow any towers to be built because it detracts from the mountain views.

They have all of the Astro Spectras and XTS 3000's in 800MHz donated to them for free, why they are insistent on staying on 33MHz is also beyond me. Most of the 33MHz equipment is well over 20 years old.

ChartofVirginia

Premium Subscriber
And they said no one else would hear it.

Doesn't cover Lake Front Royal as requested, but the antenna was also supposed to be placed onto the roof instead of right smack middle of the side of the building.

Oh, RG-8 will do fine at 120' for highband. What's -6db among friends.

You should have heard the idea's woven by the salesman when someone wanted a lowband to VHF crossband portable.

Typical answer: Yeah we can do that, did you ask anyone who knows anything first? Well, no why?

Memories

Hey Mark

Last edited:

AES-256

Doesn't cover Lake Front Royal as requested, but the antenna was also supposed to be placed onto the roof instead of right smack middle of the side of the building.

Oh, RG-8 will do fine at 120' for highband. What's -6db among friends.

You should have heard the idea's woven by the salesman when someone wanted a lowband to VHF crossband portable.

Typical answer: Yeah we can do that, did you ask anyone who knows anything first? Well, no why?

Memories

Hey Mark

This is the problem everywhere, too much crap is being sold out there or salesman trying to push products that have no technical background. I've always said get an engineering firm like CTA or RCC to plan out a well balanced system. Then do a RFP or go on the available state contracts.

Plenty of options for Chester Gap, a yagi or corner reflector could put the needed signal on Lake Front Royal. But if the requirement was to cover into Warren, Chester Gap, Huntley or Hume, then maybe a re-location of the crossband repeater VHF antenna and change out the cable to LMR-400/500. There is nothing wrong with the CDM's, they just need to get them to work like they should.

Everything worked well 20 years ago on Low Band when I ran up there. But with the trees growing like they have across the region, all of us are running into propagation issues. When you try to explain the tree issue to people who do not understand, you get lots of blank looks. I have had to move 4 high gain parabolic antennas on an 800MHz BDA system to point at different fixed sites in the last year due to stupid tree growth blocking.

Low Band can work well if properly designed; the county has to be willing to do whatever it takes to get the mission accomplished. This includes placing a tower and remoteing communications on a location that allows coverage across the service area, not coming up with stupid rules like "no towers allowed" and living 40 years in the past.

I understand the economic situation of Rappahannock, with only 6,000 people living in the county and no tax base, there is not a lot of money to spread around. They could have made a 4 year plan to change out to current technology getting everyone updated with new low band equipment. Or you can go with free equipment from another county and pay for usage on another counties system.

Either way, at some point all of the radios will need to be replaced because of non-serviceability due to equipment no longer being supported by the manufacture.

rfburns

You don't want to run LMR-400 in a duplex system, but I get your point. The foil/braid combination generates too much noise in duplex operation. After some oxidation, they would be worse off than with the RG-8. Maybe they could scrounge up some used LDF-4-50 and some used connectors for the VHF side. The corner reflector idea sounds feasible or at least worth exploring if the plan was to cover Lake Front Royal.

rfburns

Perhaps they meant Warren Co Dispatch would not hear it.:roll:

On the chimney fire a few minutes ago at 15 Windy Hill Ln, Warren E9 told Rapp that they could handle with Warren E11 and Rapp E4 and to cancel the rest of the response. About 5 minutes later Warren is still toning companies 1 and 3.

ChartofVirginia

Premium Subscriber
Well,

LMR is not a cable I have seen a use for in the commercial world even though claims are made it does as it should. The loss coupled with lifespan cannot compete with properly installed solid conductor copper or eeek, aluminum hardline. I spec the extra costs and run copper. If the crossband setup for Co.9 was duplex the braided cable would be even more a degrading sight.

The current use as I knew it the highband pagers carried for Warren by Co.9 would be toned by rappahannock via the Ch.2 in the pager. The 153.8525 with QC-II for Rappahannock is in channel 2.

This was how it was assembled and is / has been working. The coverage was so-so, but so was the setup. A primary interest was the Chester Gap area with additional coverage sweetening the deal. At the same time eliminating a pager from the belts of the volunteers.

The CDM750's were properly assembled and were aligned with the tone formats so a quality replication of the tones from rappahannock would alert the subscribers even with low modulation due to spotty coverage.

This setup has also provided a patch for the Warren highband portables and mobiles where a programmed unit can communicate back over lowband to rappahannock when a lowband radio is not available or able to do so. It has been used often when Ambulance 9 clears Warren ER as the lowband does not make the haul most of the time.

Overall for Co.9 this has sounded like it works. There are very few other options for their needs from what is sounds like with the terrain they run.

CoV

Status
Not open for further replies.