Rappahannock Electric Cooperative

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsp5151

Does anyone know what changes REC made to their 217 MHz system? I can no longer hear them in the analog mode. It doesn't sound like P25 but I could be wrong.

CPerk

I’m getting a DMR tier III for that , seems like they went DMR? Anyone can confirm it !? But I’ll have it on record and see what I can pick up .

Attachments

• 0DDBBF9E-2158-4105-B009-EC3CB9DA1E63.png
    0DDBBF9E-2158-4105-B009-EC3CB9DA1E63.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 53

vsp5151

You are correct. They were using narrow band FM on a MPT1327 trunking system. I was monitoring them with a Baofeng portable just scanning the voice channels.

W4UVV

I just did a FCC General Reports Menu search for VA licensees 216.0000-218.0000 mhz. The only two callsigns returned were for both Southside Electric Cooperative in Powhatan Co. (WQUP789 & WQUR203). Both are DMR with color code "0". I'm receiving a strong DMR signal on 217.7935 mhz. data & infrequent indications of a short voice comm displayed but not heard. 217.9375 mhz. is one of their many listed frequencies. I did two separate FCC searches and only Southside Electric call signs returned both times. I am out of reception range for REC transmissions but don't understand REC's calls sign license(s) did not return along with Southside Electric Coop's in Powhatan Co. No doubt I am hearing Southside Electric Coop. transmission at Highway 809 &623 in Powhatan Co.

John:)
W4UVV

vsp5151

REC's frequencies are leased from NRTC(National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative, Herndon,Va). I think there may be a subsidy under NRTC that is also involved in the lease. We went through this several years ago on this site and I need to do more research to find out what that company name is

vsp5151

additional information with google search:

CPerk

I just did a FCC General Reports Menu search for VA licensees 216.0000-218.0000 mhz. The only two callsigns returned were for both Southside Electric Cooperative in Powhatan Co. (WQUP789 & WQUR203). Both are DMR with color code "0". I'm receiving a strong DMR signal on 217.7935 mhz. data & infrequent indications of a short voice comm displayed but not heard. 217.9375 mhz. is one of their many listed frequencies. I did two separate FCC searches and only Southside Electric call signs returned both times. I am out of reception range for REC transmissions but don't understand REC's calls sign license(s) did not return along with Southside Electric Coop's in Powhatan Co. No doubt I am hearing Southside Electric Coop. transmission at Highway 809 &623 in Powhatan Co.

W4UVV
John I agree on that , and I remember month or so ago heard them say go to new radio and 217.8000 starts the control channel and 217.66 is site 6 and site 4 is 217.7200 and one TG I got was 6011 is Fredericksburg so far and as for the call signs for REC can’t find the new ones to support DMR but their old call signs are confusing

KLO5078

Looks like they have moved to DMR. Very busy during last weeks storm. Found 9 frequencies between 217.5 and 218. Slot 1or 2 ---color 0.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
No doubt I am hearing Southside Electric Coop. transmission at Highway 809 &623 in Powhatan Co.

FYI, Route 809 doesn't exist in Powhatan. If it was 609 & 623, however, that's not too far from SEC's Powhatan branch office.

W4UVV

John I agree on that , and I remember month or so ago heard them say go to new radio and 217.8000 starts the control channel and 217.66 is site 6 and site 4 is 217.7200 and one TG I got was 6011 is Fredericksburg so far and as for the call signs for REC can’t find the new ones to support DMR but their old call signs are confusing
--------------
My experience updating my database for these past 35+ years is if the licensee physically is located in Virginia, all frequencies under that call sign will be inclusive and returned on a FCC General Menu Report query. The only exception I am aware of was in the 2000 time period when the STARS initial site installations began. It was then the STARS consultant, VITA, VSP, and GS et. al . all of them, failed to initally plan for the minimum number of STARS vhf frequencies required to support all STARS site's installations statewide. Phone calls/letters immediately were made to the FCC. The FCC quickly issued the initial 151-152 mhz. frequencies via a LETTER authorization to help alleviate the initial problem. Lack of sufficient vhf frequencies being available for installations plagued STARS installations for the next 6-7 years. Unless things have changed, these 151-152 mhz. frequencies will not return a frequenices search using a General Menu Reports query.

If the call sign for the licensee physically located out of the state of VA, but has a radio operation in VA, that information typically is found within the frequencies sub-link of the call sign.

So, regardless of whether in state or out of state, the actual call sign belonging to the licensee should be
returned on a valid query to the General Menu Reports. Usually a modification to the license will correct the error.

Regarding REC, in my opinion, something's not right somewhere. REC's license should have been available on the FCC General Menu Reports data base the day it started using the frequencies. Word of mouth frequencies passed to individuals to monitor after the fact is not way things are supposed to be documented especially of such a large operation.

W4UVV

SP

W4UVV

I am still searching for the 220 licensee for Va. No luck yet. However this is a good example. East Kentucky Power Cooperative uses a 220 spectrum but this is the licensee. If you do a FCC search EKPC does not have a license.

-----------------

Now that I think about it, maybe the FCC is relooking the public's relatively easy availability the Electric Cooperatives and Electric Company's frequencies. Also, FYI the 454-455 mhz. frequencies which were auctioned by the FCC a few years ago will not return on a General Menu Reports query. I located the call signs some years ago by "drilling down" to that level and copied the call signs of the winners. Once I had them in my database, the query for the appropriate selected call sign returned the info fine. But I had to enter each call sign as they did not return those auctioned call signs like the non-auctioned call signs.

I don't know what's going on with the utilities. When and if more information is provided on the subject hopefully we will have some answers.

W4UVV

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Okay so far in the database I see a control channel listed for fredericksburg. Any other channels and talk groups noted?

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=11052119

I found the above link. So If I understand it now they are leasing the spectrum and/or the owner of
the license is a law firm. The new callsign is WRBV929.

Sites are:
Essex- Dunbrooke
Caroline- Bowling Green
Louisa
Warren- Hogback Mtn
Clarke- Berryville
Madison- Blakey Ridge
Warren- Linden
King William
Spotsylvania- Fredericksburg

Last edited:

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I am picking up 217.5200 on Site ID #8- ??? appears that all frequencies are control channels.

Last edited:

vsp5151

Am I over looking the frequency chart that was in RR for trunked radio systems in Madison County VA (Blakey Ridge) or has it been removed?
It did not list all the sites that were found on the license WRBV929 but did list the control channel and voice channels for Blakey, Fredericksburg, Bowling Green and I can't remember the other sites. KD4IIW great job finding the license posting!!

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
What I find interesting is that this radio service is a secondary user in a Coastal Maritime Mobile band which I thought was transitioned to a Automatic Train Control segment of the 216-200 mhz band.

https://selectspectrum.com/AMTS_217-220_SpectrumSummaryRail_190909.pdf

I am also assuming that the base stations ID as one of the four office locations:

Fredericksburg
Culpeper
Bowling Green
Blue Ridge

I have heard a truck call "Fredericksburg on the air" using my 436hp to do a scan of the spectrum.

Attachments

• AMTS_217-220_SpectrumSummaryRail_190909.pdf
    947.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.