• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

(RARE) Motorola Personal. Any info?

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I HAD to pick this unit up off of the 'bay as I never knew it existed. This seems to be a pre-FRS radio on what became an FRS channel. 462.6125
I couldn't resist as it seems to be a UHF first gen P10 Spirit in a light gray case aimed at the non-commercial user. The housing is interesting as it is the typical early Radius P10, but with a P100/P200-esque speaker grille. And yes, it works well! I will be replacing the MX style antenna and carefully cleaning the case.
Any info about the marketing/history on this radio? Was it a dealer-only demo program? Forgive my white balance. The actual color is a VERY light neutral gray.

20230324_020427.jpg20230324_020421.jpg20230324_020436.jpg

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Sure sounds like a product that first appeared in the 1997 Radio Shack catalog: the very first FRS radio, FRS-105, RS catalog number 21-1805, for $179.99 each. "Can be set to operate on any one of 7 channels, made for Radio Shack by MOTOROLA".
The RS catalog shows a generic Spirit radio in black with no labeling at all.

Does your "PERSONAL" have DIP switches underneath the battery for changing the frequency or is it in fact, a P10 with crystal control?

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if that was a precursor to the "Sport" line of GMRS radios they sold for a while.
Definitely pre sport era. I do have a family member of those though.
Pretty cool. Voice assisted programming and it even has scan!

Attachments

• 20230325_020927.jpg
    20230325_020927.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230325_020922.jpg
    20230325_020922.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 33

DeeEx

Honestly, I had better luck as far as durability goes, with the very early Spirit/Sport 7/Sport 7x/Talkabout Distance/DPS platform than I did with the P10/SP10/P50.

And somewhere in my garage I think I have some sort of mishmash that’s got a RS catalog number label on the back, I’m pretty sure RS branded on the top of the front, yet Motorola printed clearly at the bottom front, single-channel VHF business band (pre-MURS) that looks 100% identical to a Talkabout Distance, even the same short antenna although VHF.

Edit to add: The above-mentioned VHF radios look nearly identical to the BTX125, but not exactly. A quick search online found that to the the closest match.

Last edited:

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. A LOT of soldered connections and of course crystals in the P10 etc lineup. I think the whole lineage is kinda cool. It's mostly nostalgia, but I still geek out about this tough little platform and it's progression from single channel xtal up through fully synthesized. The marketing and brand crossover throughout the years is a trip.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
No DIPs. Seems like the board has cutouts for them though.
Based on the serial number, this is from mid 1992 (FSU) so this predates the "FRS-105" and is most likely indeed a P10 inside. Very rare find, almost FRS before Radio Shaft even thought about FRS. (Wasn't until 1996 when that NPRM was first introduced to the FCC and RS didn't start marketing FRS radios until 1997/1998).

mikegilbert

MHz so good
The Personal, Spirit 1, P10, and HT10 were more or less all the same radio - albeit with different housings and sales channels.

Personal: Single channel with drop-in charging; sold by retailers like C&H, Grainger, etc.
Spirit 1: Single channel with plug-in charging; sold by retailers like C&H, Grainger, etc. (predates the P10)
Radius P10: Single channel with drop-in charging; sold by Radius dealers
HT10: Single channel with drop-in charging. Same color as the HT600; sold by full-line dealers.

The Spirit 1 was sold in the early '90s and still had the old style transitional antennas before Motorola came up with a lower cost moulded MX thread antenna.

Here's some of my radios. I'll try to line em all up and snap a family photo.

52771149789_96403e8c41_b.jpg

52771149979_3b5f89d148_b.jpg

52771149959_434795f789_b.jpg

52771304960_62fdf1b37c_b.jpg

52770358182_b2c148cd3b_b.jpg

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm envious of your collection. You have some rare birds and man, this brings back memories. Remember seeing that "Catch the Spirit" display in either Sam's Club or Builder's Warehouse in 1991 when I was 16. This was an era where Motorola had a Radius plant in Mt. Pleasant, IA. Made in USA by...wait for it...Americans. Remember those days ?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I'm still intrigued by the frequency. P10's, Spirit's et al were rock bound and marketed on business/gmrs color dot frequencies of which 462.6125 was not in the offering. FRS came to be in the mid 90's which is viable for this line, but the radio fails on transmit power and removeable antenna for a FRS radio. Maybe a re-crystal?

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I'm still intrigued by the frequency. P10's, Spirit's et al were rock bound and marketed on business/gmrs color dot frequencies of which 462.6125 was not in the offering. FRS came to be in the mid 90's which is viable for this line, but the radio fails on transmit power and removeable antenna for a FRS radio. Maybe a re-crystal?
Agreed. I think this may have been a proof of concept pre FRS. I'm gonna keep it as is as a working shelf queen.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I'm envious of your collection. You have some rare birds and man, this brings back memories. Remember seeing that "Catch the Spirit" display in either Sam's Club or Builder's Warehouse in 1991 when I was 16. This was an era where Motorola had a Radius plant in Mt. Pleasant, IA. Made in USA by...wait for it...Americans. Remember those days ?

Thanks man! I've been working to photograph as many models as possible to preserve the history.

I remember seeing the off-white Spirit radios at Costco back in the day.

Ended up working all summer to save up enough money to buy a pair of Radio Shack (Motorola) PRS-102 GMRS radios. One was stolen, and I have no idea where the other one went.

ppw50.png

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Ended up working all summer to save up enough money to buy a pair of Radio Shack (Motorola) PRS-102 GMRS radios. One was stolen, and I have no idea where the other one went
Same here. I had a pair of P10s and thought I was a sys admin at 15 years old:ROFLMAO:.
Lets schedule a QSO...maybe the band will be open from Cali-Texas lol:LOL:.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Same here. I had a pair of P10s and thought I was a sys admin at 15 years old:ROFLMAO:.
Lets schedule a QSO...maybe the band will be open from Cali-Texas lol:LOL:.
The best part? A business in my hometown had a grandfathered license on a GMRS channel, so if I wanted to feel important, I'd turn to it and listen. They were a building supply company, so it was pretty active back in the '90s and early 2000s.