Rare Tactical Monitoring Saturday - PPD

Status
Not open for further replies.
For whatever reasons, PPD decided to leave a pretty cool operation on A5 (in the clear) for hours Saturday night and I was wondering if anyone else caught the action.

So a guy shoots a cop, flees to some apartments, takes a hostage, and a standoff begins. A nora unit requested a restricted channel, but the lieutenant wanted the traffic kept on A. So for most of the even you could hear almost everything going on. The K9 searches in attics, the tactical guys using the "curly cam", snipers getting into position, laying out lines of fire and planning shots. Negotiators talking about what was being said with the bad guy, etc.

Unfortunately, near the end they went to a restricted TG and that was it. The guy ended up surrendering.

Cool stuff, and with the new yagi in place I could actually hear everything. I hadn't heard that much PPD action on a scanner since the days of UHF chase channels. Usually when things start to unfold it is right to a secured talkgroup. Very unusual.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yeah once I heard about the 999 I turned the scanner on for a few and I did hear some pretty cool stuff..but I didn't listen for long at all. I wish I would have. Generally on big incidents like that they keep the units on the same channel since there are so many of them, while only the tactical units goto encrypted..but thats some cool stuff!

cratliff

I happened to come across that incident on accident on Saturday night. I had just tuned to PPD "Simulcast A" (since the repeater is 1 mile from my house...info thanks to PHOENIX SCANNER) and heard all the action from when they started searching yards and apartments for the suspect. I listened until about 1am and fell asleep a bit after they called in negotiators. It was really cool and there was definitely a lot to listen to and try to follow! Too bad I missed the 999 (although I am very sorry an officer was wounded).
Overall, I am glad the guy was eventually caught without anymore incidents. I wish less people took the liberty of shooting at cops!

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs that people shoot cops. People who are generally such honest upstanding people, who sacrifice so much to protect others just don't deserve it.

Luckily she only got hit in the hand, and should be ok with some rehab for that hand I would think She still gets to go home to the family, that is all that really matters.

The bad guy will spend hard time in prison I am sure.

Although he surrendered, part of me wishes he would have come out and brandished his gun in front of the SAU guys. That way we wouldn't have to waste money on a trial and incarceration. He would be taking a dirt nap right now.

bigjstud1108

I was working that night at the hospital. Right after the shooting, we panned the camera over to the shooting scene. PHX PD was rushing all over the place. The officer came into our ER. She was shot in her right hand and her left shirt pocket. She was blaming her self about the shooting and how she could have done things different. But the Staff keep telling her that is was not her fault. Last that I knew, she was possibly going to lose her ring finger. She was discharge the next night. I wish her well and a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.