Raspberry Pi3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JW

I'm ready to begin feeding to Broadcastify (and soon LiveATC) using a dedicated Raspberry Pi3 device and a dedicated scanner. How do I get this thing set up now? I haven't powered it on yet and have a MicroSD card ready to load up whatever image might be available.

Anyone available to walk me through setup?

DC31

Feed Provider
Read through this:

KK4JW

I've just finished loading the Broadcastify image to the MicroSD card, and have inserted it into my RPi3. I'm lost now. I don't understand how to do much any of the configuration stuff that I'm seeing. I don't see any instructions for setting up a wifi connection either? Once the RPi3 is powered up, how do I "login" to it?

I do have a USB soundcard dongle, my feed scanner set up and receiving, and a 3.5mm audio patch cable to plug into the USB soundcard dongle.

Last edited:

DC31

Feed Provider
I don't see any instructions for setting up a wifi connection either?

The BCFY image is from the days of the pi2 which did not have wifi.

Once the RPi3 is powered up, how do I "login" to it?

Use an hdmi cable and plug inyo your tv. Then power it up. Use a usb keyboard and mouse.

The “Darksnow” setup is MUCH easier.

I_am_Alpha1

It's much harder than it appears (unfortunately). I just added my third broadcastify feed. I tried setting it up using a Pi3b and couldn't get Darkice to run...even after going back several versions to Jessie. I did e-mail the broadcastify folks regarding a prebuild Pi3 file--they responded that they're still working on it. Get you hands on a Pi2b...not from amazon (way overpriced). E-Bay has new ones for around $30. Use the preconfigured file from the link below. Follow the instructions on that page--your Pi2b is case sensitive, so type it exactly as written. When you're are finished, you will no longer need the monitor, keyboard, or mouse anymore. Your USB sound card should blink...if not (or if it stops some days down the road) just power cycle the Pi2b...or you did something wrong. I added a wifi controlled outlet so I can reboot my Pi's from anywhere. Use hardwired Lan if you can, otherwise you'll need a USB wifi dongle--and setting it up headless is beyond me...GTS (Google that ****).

KK4JW

Yeah I don't know anything about "Darkice" or "Darksnow". I already have a Pi3, kinda hate to buy a Pi2 and start all over again. So I basically just clicked on the "Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Image" link and downloaded that, and then put it on the MicroSD with Balena Etcher.

I guess now I need to dig up an HDMI and get this thing hooked up to my TV somehow to configure it via the instructions I'm seeing here: Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Image - The RadioReference Wiki

What do I need to do to set it up with my home wifi, so that I can just leave it hooked up to my feed scanner 24/7 and let it feed away?

DC31

Feed Provider
Working with KV4JW we put together an image that works on a pi3 or 4 using the Darksnow GUI interface. I made a generic image based on this and it is available for download at: darksnow.img.zip
This is a 1.8 gb .zip file so don't expect the download to be quick. Once downloaded, follow the instructions in the text document attached to this post. I am sure that I missed a couple things so post your questions back here.

Attachments

• darksnow_image.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 17

I_am_Alpha1

Huh...so you did something in about a day or two that the broadcastify staff hasn't been able to do in over a year...huh. Thanks guys...awesome work.

DC31

Feed Provider
The time consuming part was putting the initial Buster image on the card and then; after setting it up; copying the image, shrinking the image, and then compressing the image to get it to a manageable size to transfer electronically. The actual set up of darkice/darksnow/icecast is probably less than 30 min.

Let us know your experience with it when you try it out. Does the image actually work?

KK4JW

Public thanks to DC31. He has spent quite a bit of his time helping me with my feed and getting it all set up. He knows what he's doing with Raspberry Pi's and DarkSnow. It seems pretty complicated at first but I'm slowly learning with his help!

DC31

Feed Provider
I made a couple revisions to the instructions included as an attachment a couple posts up. Here is the revised document.

Attachments

• darksnow_image_Rev1.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 27

VK2GEL

DC thanks for this package.

Am getting “cpp1237 cant open connector” when trying to start streaming. Have triple checked all server parameters.

Any thoughts please?

DC31

Feed Provider
Usually, that indicates that the source can’t be found. Do you have a usb sound card plugged in? If you do, then open a Terminal window on the pi and type arecord -l (that is lower-case L). This will show all audio input devices:

pi@Raspberry-pi:~ $ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 2: Device [USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

From this output, you are interested in “card 2” and “device 0”. This is used in Device Input under Audio Options in Darksnow. The above would be hw:2,0. If you have numbers other than 2 and 0 change these.

VK2GEL

The longest I have been able to keep my feed up is two days. My VDSL internet modem reboots occasionally, some days a few times and other days not at all. The reboots last about 5 minutes. After these reboots the feed stops but the Pi3 is still accessible via VNC.

I have the new image above, a wired lan, a static ip for the Pi3, have tried a second Pi3, leaving the Darksnow window open and also quitting but leaving Darkice running.

What I think may be happening is when the modem reboots, Darkice gives up sending?

What I think I need is a more resilient setup that will make Darkice reconnect automatically, say 10 minutes after each modem reboot?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks. G

Status
Not open for further replies.