RasPi 4 and OP25

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBud

I bought a Raspberry Pi 4 (8 gig) to run SDRs on, and other stuff.

I have 2 SDRs, a NoElec using an 820T chip, and a DVB with an 820T2.

Have OP25 set up and working, but when I try the command line to get the NAC, I get several errors,
starting with PLL not locked, and "value error, need more than 1 value to unpack".

The command like came from 2 different people, and is the same from both.

I have "./rx.py --args 'rtl' 'LNA47' -N 250000 -x 2 -f 855.6875 -o 17e3"

I have tried adding the -q 2" as one user showed, but he said that might not be necessary.
Also tried changing the 250000 to 100000 and several other values, with no difference.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can try??

wgbecks

Not sure who you got the command line from but it's incorrect! To get started, what version of op25 did your install, Osmocom or Boatbod?

SDBud

Not sure who you got the command line from but it's incorrect! To get started, what version of op25 did your install, Osmocom or Boatbod?

Boatbod is the stuff I'm using, but read the Osmocom readmes as well, AND Fuzz the Pi Guy video on YouTube.

So, WHAT is wrong with that command??

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It looks like you want to monitor the SmartZone system, which is not done entirely by command line arguments. You will need to use the multi_rx.py program, vs. the older rx.py program. There are brief instructions in the readme files included with op25 - look for Smartnet.

Here is the command line I use to start op25 for SmartNet / SmartZone:

./multi_rx.py -v 11 -c cfg-aaco.json 2> stderr.2

It calls a configuration file named cfg-aaco.json in my case. You could create a config file name (like "cfg-sd.json") and insert it in the command line.

Then you need to create the json file mentioned above - "smartnet_example.json" is an example / template included in the op25 installations apps folder.

Last edited:

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
I bought a Raspberry Pi 4 (8 gig) to run SDRs on, and other stuff.

I have 2 SDRs, a NoElec using an 820T chip, and a DVB with an 820T2.

Have OP25 set up and working, but when I try the command line to get the NAC, I get several errors,
starting with PLL not locked, and "value error, need more than 1 value to unpack".

The command like came from 2 different people, and is the same from both.

I have "./rx.py --args 'rtl' 'LNA47' -N 250000 -x 2 -f 855.6875 -o 17e3"

I have tried adding the -q 2" as one user showed, but he said that might not be necessary.
Also tried changing the 250000 to 100000 and several other values, with no difference.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can try??

the rx.py is for one sdr dongle.

wgbecks

Boatbod is the stuff I'm using, but read the Osmocom readmes as well, AND Fuzz the Pi Guy video on YouTube.

So, WHAT is wrong with that command??

You didn't confirm the system but if it's the San Diego City 800 MHz system then it's in fact a Motorola Type II SmartZone system
that will require two (2) SDR's minimum using multi_rx.py as was pointed out by @maus92 in post #6.

Smartnet/SmartZone technology is a very old trunking format and vastly different from P25 used on most systems today.

boatbod

I'm only trying to get one working. THEN I'll go on from there..
The op25 smartnet decoder *only* works with multi_rx.py and you will definitely need either two RTL dongles or one wide-band dongle such as Airspy or RSP in order to trunk track an Astro system. With a single RTL you will be able to decode the 3600bps control channel but not tune the voice.

SDBud

You didn't confirm the system but if it's the San Diego City 800 MHz system then it's in fact a Motorola Type II SmartZone system
that will require two (2) SDR's minimum using multi_rx.py as was pointed out by @maus92 in post #6.

Smartnet/SmartZone technology is a very old trunking format and vastly different from P25 used on most systems today.

I figured that it would be easier he older system. But I CAN easily monitor that with the multiple old scanners I have, so I'll go try the County P2 system, if THAT is easier. OR, I can just go with aircraft, and ADSB. AS a last resort.

code37f

SDBud, the San Diego City 800mhz or the new 700 Mhz system or the County's NextGen System will work with OP25 and one rtl/SDR using Ubuntu on the City's 700mhz system and Win10/VM VirtualBox on the NextGen system.
This works for me for last 12 months with a big help from wgbecks
./rx.py --nocrypt --args "rtl" --gains 'lna:44' -S 960000 -X -q 0 -D cqpsk -v 1 -V -U -T trunk.tsv -l 'http:127.0.0.1:8080' -w -2 2> stderr.2

It works so good that I almost forgot how to edit the trunk.tsv files because I never have to fine tune the file.

Private message me if you need more help........the landline is faster than typing !

SDBud

SDBud, the San Diego City 800mhz or the new 700 Mhz system or the County's NextGen System will work with OP25 and one rtl/SDR using Ubuntu on the City's 700mhz system and Win10/VM VirtualBox on the NextGen system.
This works for me for last 12 months with a big help from wgbecks
./rx.py --nocrypt --args "rtl" --gains 'lna:44' -S 960000 -X -q 0 -D cqpsk -v 1 -V -U -T trunk.tsv -l 'http:127.0.0.1:8080' -w -2 2> stderr.2

It works so good that I almost forgot how to edit the trunk.tsv files because I never have to fine tune the file.

Private message me if you need more help........the landline is faster than typing !

OK, but I can't PM you, because you don't allow that (system says). What's in your trunk.tsv file, please??

Status
Not open for further replies.