Raytheon will build 80 site system for ATCO Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113166

See the post in the Announcements forum and the press release linked in that thread from Raytheon.

Like I say in the announcement thread, I don't know if 80 sites are enough to cover the province. Maybe to cover ATCO Electric's share, yes. But considering that ATCO shares electric infrastructure comms currently with FORTIS and AltaLINK, over the entire province, would they walk away from their partners like that?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have my doubts that this is a province-wide system. I would think that 80 sites is only barely enough to cover the areas ATCO Electric handles (north and east-central areas).

And since they're just announcing it now, I would bet at least a couple years. The public safety system is scheduled to be ready to begin to accept users in 2010/2011 and it hasn't even been "announced" (i.e. who will get the tender) yet.

pug_27

ya hard to say,it must take lots planing and work to get it all sorted out.At lest well have some new systems to play with in the next couple of years ??

SCPD

QRT
ya hard to say,it must take lots planing and work to get it all sorted out.At lest well have some new systems to play with in the next couple of years ??

This new radio system been in works for years. Atco had leased space on existing radio towers around Alberta as far back to 2002 for a new radio system. It's not a province wide system, at least for now.

I can see ATCO Power bought out or merge with a power line transmisson company. With nuke power plants in Alberta's future the power industry ownership will look much different in 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.