RCMP adoption of AFRRCS bring radio silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

redtalon

RCMP adoption of AFRRCS brings radio silence

After local RCMP detachments switched over to the Alberta First Responder Radio Communications System (AFRRCS) at the end of June, concern has been expressed that communication from the RCMP K-Division is more restricted than before.
As the RCMP continues the switch to the province-owned AFRRCS from the RCMP owned and maintained Province of Alberta Communication System (PACS), the decision to encrypt their channels has left municipal enforcement officers hearing radio silence.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hm, do the CPOs not have the CETs (that all AFRRCS users are supposed to have)? That's what we're using in other detachment districts - working well.

redtalon

Hm, do the CPOs not have the CETs (that all AFRRCS users are supposed to have)? That's what we're using in other detachment districts - working well.
It sounds like their main issue is not being able to hear what the RCMP are dispatched to and not knowing if there’s major events happening unless they’re specifically advised.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I guess that's a fair gripe. I have the same/similar sentiments - I don't particularly care to know where every detachment member is and what they're doing, but in the past my FD had been told to get on their channel and call them if we were going to a job that we thought they would be needed on. That notification would often beat OCC's dispatch by several minutes.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
OF course I can't comment on what is happening with AFRRCs but certainly when using the PACs one could often hear, ambulance, fire, CPOs talking with RCMP on PACs on all the detachments surrounding Calgary. That was interoperability. But who the heck knows what the heck is going on now.

redtalon

OF course I can't comment on what is happening with AFRRCs but certainly when using the PACs one could often hear, ambulance, fire, CPOs talking with RCMP on PACs on all the detachments surrounding Calgary. That was interoperability. But who the heck knows what the heck is going on now.
Only RCMP and traffic Sheriffs are on RCMP talkgroups (Sheriffs are provided RCMP radios per their agreement/integration with the RCMP). The only way now for RCMP to talk to other agencies is to switch to their talkgroup or one of the CETs. Someone also has to request the change as there is no scan functionality programmed into the RCMP radios. The interoperability purpose of AFRRCS definitely needs some work.

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
Only RCMP and traffic Sheriffs are on RCMP talkgroups (Sheriffs are provided RCMP radios per their agreement/integration with the RCMP). The only way now for RCMP to talk to other agencies is to switch to their talkgroup or one of the CETs. Someone also has to request the change as there is no scan functionality programmed into the RCMP radios. The interoperability purpose of AFRRCS definitely needs some work.
It has always worked well in the past when the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing. It will just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Pleasant surprise this PM as Strathmore, Chestermere appeared on their Legacy frequencies. Good old time with at least something to listen to. AFRRCs must have had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.