RCMP NEWFOUNDLAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruddy

Have anyone heard that RCMP in Newfoundland will not be heard on any scanner due to their new system they're installing. Having heard what its even called yet. They're using the P25 here now and the old analog in some areas. I was told that I would need something better than the HP1 or the BCD536HP to pick them up in the very near future, have anyone else heard anything about this?

P

primehifi

Why would they be changing systems again. P25 was only launched a few years ago.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
That wouldnt be changing systems, it would simply be implementing an encryption key into each radio. You are right, you will not be able to Monitor them if that happens. This recently happened to most of all of NS with the exception of HRM and District. HP1 will pick them up no problem until they enable encryption at which time....nothing will pick them up except another RCMP radio with the same encryption key...good luck getting that legally :) lol

der_springer

Premium Subscriber
I can't see P-25 encryption in general use anytime soon. It requires a better signal quality than unencrypted and given that they have so much trouble communicating as it is - at least in Central - I don't think it will used for routine patrol.

P

primehifi

Right exactly. They have an Enc channel for sensitive comms and use their cell phones so routinely already why bother.

der_springer

Premium Subscriber
Although I am getting worried this morning as they are doing upgrades to the system in Grand Falls and I heard the radio tech mention encryption. I know they were doing upgrades on the west coast a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if there has been any change to comms on the Deer Lake or Stephenville talkgroups?

der_springer

Premium Subscriber
Now I am more worried as Unitrunker just logged an encrypted call. Hopefully they are just upgrading the 'ability' to go encrypted but will not be using it full time. P4 in the screenshot is the call.

Attachments

• p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 867

newlabone

Premium Subscriber
I know they use special events channels for salmon fest which is encrypted. I was listening to the tecks
and my impression is it could be full time encryption . I have 2 trunk tracker iv scanners a home patrol and the 2 latest scanners offered by uniden which offers p25 phase 2 that was just released in 2014. I am monitoring them and I think full time encryption is being installed. could be wrong .I use to get gander talk group and I haven't heard them for weeks . I use to get deer lake talk group at times and again haven't heard them. I am strongly thinking full time encryption is here and I hope I am wrong.. I will continue to monitor and will post anything I find out. a friend of mine from the city told me the next step is upgrades to enable total encryption across the province. I will be doing a lot of research on scanners that are being developed which could clone a unit and decrypt a transmission. lol its only a matter of time. they will be out of the average persons price range . I guess I will have to sell my scanners on ebay if they become useless. that's life . if anyone finds out any new info I would appreciate the post

Res21cue

Feed Provider
This recently happened in NS as many of you already know. I remember talking to a member of the radio communications committee for the province and it was mentioned on more than one occasion that it is a Federal Mandate of the RCMP to be encrypted across the country, I just cannot remember what the target date was for completion.

newlabone

Premium Subscriber
full time encryption in gfw and area my personal opinion is here. today all traffic from the police cars and portables are encrypted. you still get audio non encrypted transmissions from communication [ 97 ]
when all cars and portables covered by 97 is encrypted then 97 will be encrypted. we knew encryption was coming but not as quickly as it did. some day who knows, there may be an answer to it, but I doubt it.

mmisk

RCMP in Ottawa

In Ottawa, RCMP uses full time encryption. It is no great loss here because there was nothing really very interesting most of the time.

Ottawa Police are using EDACS Provoice and I can listen to them, sometimes quite interesting.
However, they will be switching to a P25 system in a few years, and I assume it will be all encrypted.
Just have to get used to it, won't be buying anymore scanners.

der_springer

Premium Subscriber
As of 8 o'clock, even 97 has been encrypted. Sad. Can see on Unitrunker that Gander is really active and on the GF-W repeater ... all encrypted. Anyone wanna buy a BCD396XT? I can take the old Icom R-2 out of the drawer to listen to fire and ambulance.

P

primehifi

Such a sad day. I truly think they're incorrect in encryption of a publicly funded service that benefits from more ears in the unified goal of catching criminals, but further, who monitors them now?

Countless times I've heard the following on the scanner "so and so heard the calls on the scanner and saw the red car you're looking for parked behind Clair's just off main road".

It's a farce that they feel they need encryption. RNC in corner brook have been analog forever and no issues have ever been reported.

Who's watching the watchers? No one.

At least in other cities, when the towns PD went Enc they'd provide the news agencies a radio to listen but I know for a fact that, for example, the RNC have never provided The Telegram a radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.