RCMP wildfires

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioKid604

I read that rcmp from all around bc and some from other parts of the country have been sent to assist with the forest fires. Anyone have any idea how they are all communicating? Certainly the local detachment doesn't have enough radios to go around. I know a lot of burnaby units went to help, would it be possible that an ecomm tech went as well to set up a temporary base station which would patch the ecomm 800mhz to the local vhf frequencies? Just a thought I had

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Anyone have any idea how they are all communicating?

Both Alberta and Saskatchewan use VHF, I imagine they would be able to borrow chached radios from those provinces, or BC likely has a bunch of radios in storage for situations like this.

Certainly the local detachment doesn't have enough radios to go around.

No they would not.

I know a lot of burnaby units went to help, would it be possible that an ecomm tech went as well to set up a temporary base station which would patch the ecomm 800mhz to the local vhf frequencies? Just a thought I had

I doubt it. Adds a layer of complexity that is not needed for an already complex situation. Especially with them being on VHF in that area, they likely have had techs bring in VHF radios from either other areas of the province that use VHF, or are using cached radios, or have a tech there with radios borrowed/bought for the event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC_Scan

They are communicating using their existing VHF encrypted radio system 139 Mhz, the local shop techs take a cache of radios and program them up depending on how many members show up, they all are issued special event calls signs , indicating they are tasked to that event. It is business as usual for them and because they have lots of tac channels if required they switch to that. Also within a given area they have multiple repeaters, if needed they could use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.