RCS and the new BCDx36HP scanners - MY observations so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
"NFM" is a setting for 12.5 kHz channels, not the 20 and 25 kHz channels at 800 MHz. It is suitable for the 150 and 450 bands. Stay with "FM" for 800 MHz.

JoeyC

One has to wonder why these scanners (or the Sentinel software) are utilizing NFM as the automatic mode for 800 mhz trunked freqs.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Good question. NFM is appropriate for the 900 band, so some programmer may have decided that all of it is NFM ...

mikeshepard

Well, setting modulation to FM solves the delay problem but clipping is still very prevalent. Unfortunate, because the PSR 800 and even the 396-XT I have both do a much better job of decoding digital than this new unit. Which - ironically - was supposed to improve digital quality of simulcast systems. From my experience on both North & South loops, this unit is sorely lacking., As Joey said - perhaps a new firmware upgrade will help.

JoeyC

v1.03.03 firmware update

No more annoying squelch tails on trunked systems - yaay! Too bad they still haven't been able to do away with the annoying kerchunk on conventional freqs even with PL or DPL programmed - unbelievable.

You still gotta go against the scanner default and change your band default modulation for 800mhz to FM - or change it in the software on the RCS. UPMan still will not comment on the difference, if any in the two settings.

Manual P25 threshold 10 still gives the fewest errors.

Missed transmissions due to delayed unmuting seems slightly better than before. The delay (when there is one) is improved to less than 1 second from the as long as up to 5 seconds that I was experiencing before. Would need to listen a lot more at different times of day also to be sure especially since this improvement was not mentioned as one of the fixes in this firmware, so it may be just a transient finding. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.