RCS Next Gen on a Uniden 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue_pooh

Does anyone know if the Next Gen will work on a 396XT. I'm reprogramming my dad's, but not sure if it will work.

desertscan

I got a RS Pro 106 and 197 working perfectly on Nextgen everyone said they wouldnt work on Phase II. they actually pickup signal faster and better than the uniden sds100 they all said it was the best. I say program it and try it you have nothing to lose.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I got a RS Pro 106 and 197 working perfectly on Nextgen everyone said they wouldnt work on Phase II. they actually pickup signal faster and better than the uniden sds100 they all said it was the best. I say program it and try it you have nothing to lose.
A Phase 2 system will fall back to Phase 1 if there are any Phase 1 radios affiliated. Your Pro 106 is not actually receiving P25 Phase 2, it's receiving Phase 1 transmissions being put out by the system in backwards compatibility mode. As soon as the Phase 1 system radios are upgraded to Phase 2, your Pro 106 will go silent.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Also note the desertscan user location.... Imperial County.

Also to note, the older scanners will still work good out in Imperial County sites and those non simulcast RCS sites.
Most people on the forum was talking about the simulcast sites in San Diego County area when they talked about those scanners. Those scanners will have harder time on those sites.
Just need to remember what sites people are judging their scanners on, when they post on the forum.

Posts from Santee would be South Cell/East Cell,West Cell aka Simulcast sites.
Posts from Imperial county would be it's own regular Astro 25 site. Since Imperial County doesn't have any simulcast sites.

99% of the talkgroups is still using Phase 1 per the RCS South Cell log I checked this weekend.

Last edited:

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
A Phase 2 system will fall back to Phase 1 if there are any Phase 1 radios affiliated. Your Pro 106 is not actually receiving P25 Phase 2, it's receiving Phase 1 transmissions being put out by the system in backwards compatibility mode. As soon as the Phase 1 system radios are upgraded to Phase 2, your Pro 106 will go silent.
I totally agree. My 996xt only does P1, not P2. Don't think otherwise

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
On Wednesday 2-19 I wanted to do a test ....so brought my 996XT..... (Not the 996P2) ( normally I run a SDS 200) on my trip to San Diego / National city......... to see what it will do on the Next Gen & San Diego City P25 ....... I was able to pick up most traffic ok ......... could not get El cajon CHP .... maybe P2 ?.

Worked good on the Next Gen South & west cell in National City as all Metro Fire / Heartland Fire came in great

San Diego City P25 had Issue's ....... the 996XT struggles to lock onto the control channels.....If The 996 is not locked onto a CC it not going to work...... there were quite a lot of (dead spots) in and around the San diego area.......I was parked In National City I could not get any SD City Control channel ?

The SDS 200 receives The San Diego City P25 Flawlessly..... has no Problem with Control Channels , as I can pick up All of San Diego City CC in Escondido.......I could never do that with the 996XT.......... yes I'm using the same antenna.

As long as The 996 gets a CC seems to work pretty good.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, the city of San Diego 700 system just doesn't work well with an XT, mostly because it will get faded off of RX on 700MHz by Verizon 4G cell towers within half a mile, so that would be your dead spots, many of which you will see full bars but no CC data, because the cell interference is just destroying the decode capability of that data.

Paul

On Wednesday 2-19 I wanted to do a test ....so brought my 996XT..... (Not the 996P2) ( normally I run a SDS 200) on my trip to San Diego / National city......... to see what it will do on the Next Gen & San Diego City P25 ....... I was able to pick up most traffic ok ......... could not get El cajon CHP .... maybe P2 ?.

Worked good on the Next Gen South & west cell in National City as all Metro Fire / Heartland Fire came in great

San Diego City P25 had Issue's ....... the 996XT struggles to lock onto the control channels.....If The 996 is not locked onto a CC it not going to work...... there were quite a lot of (dead spots) in and around the San diego area.......I was parked In National City I could not get any SD City Control channel ?

The SDS 200 receives The San Diego City P25 Flawlessly..... has no Problem with Control Channels , as I can pick up All of San Diego City CC in Escondido.......I could never do that with the 996XT.......... yes I'm using the same antenna.

As long as The 996 gets a CC seems to work pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.