RCS NextGen testing thread

hodad200

Just an update to my 325p2 next gen use: this thing rips! Loud and clear in University City. South and west are coming in great. I ordered a remtronix antenna but other than the battery life this thing picks up NG really well.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Have added this as a sticky.

Also, have locked the many multiple and repetitive threads on the topic in the forum.

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Still wondering when Fire CC and Law CC will migrate...heard Sycuan Tribal pop up on Nextgen overnight. The officer was having issues communicating, he migrated a few days early, said he turned on his radio and the user from Friday had changed it to "the new 9MHz system", and he could hear them but they couldn't hear him. :)

Calfire talkgroups are weird now, getting 10 and 11 zone north county traffic on South, but nothing on West or the old RCS North site.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Still wondering when Fire CC and Law CC will migrate...

Whenever the impacted comm centers move.

Calfire talkgroups are weird now, getting 10 and 11 zone north county traffic on South, but nothing on West or the old RCS North site.

The County Fire talkgroups are countywide - so if there is a radio monitoring those TGs on the South, the South will carry it. And if there is no radio on the West, the TGs will not talk on the West.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
By move do you mean migrate, or they are physically relocating Comm centers?

The weird thing is the units were in Valley Center, Pauma, those really far up there areas. I could understand if they were only affiliating on the North site 42, but not havng any new 45 or old 2 site and only old site 1 and new 41 was strange for Valley Center area traffic.

I cannot receive site 42 or 44 from anywhere south of the 56.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
By move do you mean migrate, or they are physically relocating Comm centers?

Migrate.

The weird thing is the units were in Valley Center, Pauma, those really far up there areas. I could understand if they were only affiliating on the North site 42, but not havng any new 45 or old 2 site and only old site 1 and new 41 was strange for Valley Center area traffic.

There are two State stations in the West footprint. They are dispatched on VHF. If the 800 radios are turned off, no affiliation.
AFAIK, they are all off the legacy network, so no Site 2.

I cannot receive site 42 or 44 from anywhere south of the 56.

As it should be. :)

jturner3

Question on the Comm Centers I have not been able to find an answer on in the forums.

Have the comm centers moved to the NextGen System?

If yes are they in the simulcast for the West, East, South sites?

I no longer copy them on the legacy RCS system and so far have not heard them on the NextGen West, East, South sites.

The scanner is the Uniden BCD536 so its possible its related to the scanners ability to capture all simulcast (its rock solid on the CHP, Sheriff, CalFire, etc.) but no comm centers or law air?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I hear comm centers on the Nextgen south 41 site. Typically, you wont hear Fire CC or Law CC etc outside of the South and West/North sites, but you will hear Law Air (and Med Air) on east and such, cuz the helicopters fly around affiliating all oveer the county.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Question on the Comm Centers I have not been able to find an answer on in the forums.

Have the comm centers moved to the NextGen System?

If yes are they in the simulcast for the West, East, South sites?

I no longer copy them on the legacy RCS system and so far have not heard them on the NextGen West, East, South sites.

The scanner is the Uniden BCD536 so its possible its related to the scanners ability to capture all simulcast (its rock solid on the CHP, Sheriff, CalFire, etc.) but no comm centers or law air?

The Comm Centers are on the NextGen system.

If a particular talk group has permissions for the legacy system (the users have not completed transitioning) and there is a unit on the legacy system affiliated with that talk group, you will hear the associated comm center.

jturner3

Thanks K6CDO, I am up in Ramona (West End)l istening with a BCD536 and have not been successful in hearing (at all not even distorted) the comm centers on the NextGen System, strong copy on the other traffic on the west, south and east sites, it may be the simulcast issues, re, the BCD536? Thanks for the feedback, 73 JT KG6ODI

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks K6CDO, I am up in Ramona (West End)l istening with a BCD536 and have not been successful in hearing (at all not even distorted) the comm centers on the NextGen System, strong copy on the other traffic on the west, south and east sites, it may be the simulcast issues, re, the BCD536? Thanks for the feedback, 73 JT KG6ODI

I don't see where the dispatch centers would be any different than the mobiles / portables. They all use the same backbone to transmit their signals.

I don't have a good answer for you.

jturner3

I figured out why I was not getting the Comm centers.The “service select” feature on the Uniden Scanners effects not only the Sentinel database monitoring but custom scan lists also (it overrides and omits the selection even if it is in the scan list but is in a selected category (such as “law interop”) Turning the selection “on” for law inter op and (other selected services that are in my custom scan lists, looks like it fixed the problem.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am currently in north Oceanside off of Douglas and N River Rd. Once I went east of the I-5 on SR76 a few miles, the ONLY SITE I can receive is Site 44 Northeast. I cannot get 42 North, and I can see 43 East a tiny bit. I have all the RRdb listed CC's for Site 42, but nothing, not a single bar anywhere north of the SR76...what gives?

Paul

wstcstas26

Premium Subscriber
I have a bcd 436 and I live up in the Temecula area with a discone on my roof however I only am able to receive the Northeast site. Are cities like Oceanside and Carlsbad exclusively on the North or West sites? Thinking about purchasing a sds 200 in hopes of improved performance with the new P25 phase 2 simulcast system however do not want to make the investment if little to no improvement is seen. What Does the asterisk mean next to the individual talkgroups listed for NextGen on the RR site? Thanks for any insights anyone may offer!

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I have a bcd 436 and I live up in the Temecula area with a discone on my roof however I only am able to receive the Northeast site. Are cities like Oceanside and Carlsbad exclusively on the North or West sites? Thinking about purchasing a sds 200 in hopes of improved performance with the new P25 phase 2 simulcast system however do not want to make the investment if little to no improvement is seen. What Does the asterisk mean next to the individual talkgroups listed for NextGen on the RR site? Thanks for any insights anyone may offer!

The SDS-200 will improve performance, but not reception. Only an antenna will do that. I had to switch to a Yagi to clean up reception on an SDS-200 and a BCD536HP. Neither did very well with the discone.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber

Looking over the logs, it's a mashup, and confusing. I see from the hits that oceanside PD doesn't exist on the Northeast site, yet when in Oceanside, that was the only site my SDS's were able to get any signal on, and full bars at that. I was also not hearing Vista Disp on Northeast. Carlsbad is West only. I don't know what is on North because I have never been in range of it, even when parked in north oceanside.

My station reaimed its yagi from Soledad to Woodson, and the SDS RSSI went from -60dBm to -35dBm! Yagis make a difference, a big difference! -35dBm is not enough signal to preclude the cell phone on our roof from garbling certain frequencies beyond receivability :(

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am currently in north Oceanside off of Douglas and N River Rd. Once I went east of the I-5 on SR76 a few miles, the ONLY SITE I can receive is Site 44 Northeast. I cannot get 42 North, and I can see 43 East a tiny bit. I have all the RRdb listed CC's for Site 42, but nothing, not a single bar anywhere north of the SR76...what gives?

Paul

Programming snafu...whe I created my master NextGen site lists in Sentinel, I inadvertantly put 853.6625 twice, and left out 853.6875, which is the current control channel. Did not notice it until now, because site 42 has changed CC's several times, so it worked before it switched to 853.6875. #doh!