Re: 50 cents a gallon TAX more??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmfun

From the bottom of linked article.......

"While Dingell's idea will likely lie dormant until after the 2008 election, the idea of carbon taxes is not. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John McCain all support some type of system that either directly or indirectly will raise prices to penalize polluters"

Seems Johnie is in on it too..... just keepin it "fair and balanced"...
Vote party at our peril
Better plan if they are in already - OUT they go. 30 years is just TOO Long.

brutalpilot514

Premium Subscriber
I know in Kentucky the gas tax gets raised annually but a certain amount. I just find it ironic how the left is wanting to go after the oil companies when the government gets over triple (and that's a very conservative estimate) what the oil companies get in profit

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
This is such BS! Michigan has one of the highest gasoline taxes in the Nation already. The money is supposed to be used to repair our roads. Right...just take a drive through Michigan and you'll see it isn't going into road repair. :evil:

Plus, with the higher gas prices, they're already getting much higher tax revenue than ever before!

They don't call him Congressman Dingell for nothing! :roll:

XTS3000

GreatLakes said:
This is such BS! Michigan has one of the highest gasoline taxes in the Nation already. The money is supposed to be used to repair our roads. Right...just take a drive through Michigan and you'll see it isn't going into road repair. :evil:

Plus, with the higher gas prices, they're already getting much higher tax revenue than ever before!

They don't call him Congressman Dingell for nothing! :roll:
Ain't that the truth!!

With the roads as bad as they are, how the hell are they gonna fix them all before next winter??? There is so much dammage, they would have to bring in outside help from contractors to get most roads patched. If they don't have the money for state workers, they sure won't be able to hire outside help to repair the roads. We're screwed!!

In Illinios, when the roads get so bad they are un-drivable, the county just puts up signs: "Pavement Ends". Major roads have been turned into back country roads. This is unaceptable.

ROCKnTIME

I guess since were already bending over and taking it from the Middle East every day, Michigan feels they need to lube up and give it to us some more. Blood Suckers!! I hate this state!!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Carbon Tax started in Europe and like a cancer it's spreading so get used to it, we're screwed. Al Bore says "Paint it green!" while we wonder whose pockets we're lining with green money. Meanwhile the motor vessel Steve Irwin is out chasing whales and we thought we'd gotten over that save the whales thing. We used to call him the Crocodile Hunter but he's become the Jap Hunter the way his legacy is messing with people's food. Global warming is right, if you follow the lemmings you'll jump from the frying pan into the fire and it's money that's fueling it. We're running out of oil so squeeze us while you can.

You squeeze an oil can so pardon the pun. <groan> Speaking of which the name John Dingellberry is punny, now think of John Smallberries the Red Lectroid. (Buckaroo Banzai for those who don't get it.)

FPO703

Why not make legislation to make engines with less carbon emissions. If they can do it for Diesel engines, why not gasoline engines?

Why not use Propane or natural gas. I've seen a cab company fleet use Propane for fuel. And, a major transit bus fleet use CNG. And, the local natural gas supplier uses Natural Gas for it's fleet of service vehicles.

Piston52Heavy

I live in Michigan and I heard about this on the radio the other day and all I could say was, "What an ass!!" But again, Dingell is a Dummycrat!

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
A gas tax to stop people from driving isn't going to work in the US. We're too spread out, which makes public transportation in most areas nearly impossible.

ROCKnTIME

I don’t smoke but remember another big Michigan tax on cigarettes aimed at stopping teenage smoking which was later proven not to work at all. Even though the point to the increase failed the tax still remains in effect.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Additional taxes had nothing to do with stopping people, or even convincing them to conserve. It's just an excuse to take more money from people who have to work for a living. The additional money is seldom used to do anything about the problems.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The way I see it, even though the prices keep going up, I do not see the number of autos on the roads going down. As long as people continue to do so much driving, the prices must not be "too high".

Yes we are "spread out" in the USA, but that is typically our own decision. People keep moving farther away from city cores, and commuting daily to & from work in the cities.

brutalpilot514

Premium Subscriber
gmclam said:
The way I see it, even though the prices keep going up, I do not see the number of autos on the roads going down. As long as people continue to do so much driving, the prices must not be "too high".

Yes we are "spread out" in the USA, but that is typically our own decision. People keep moving farther away from city cores, and commuting daily to & from work in the cities.
I think he was referring more to how most cities are a good distance from each other. and also in many cities public transportation isn't even an option. I'm in one of them even though there's close to 60k people here. Most of my family lives out of state so 70 vs 55 makes a big difference. Not to mention that I get my camaro gets its best gas mileage around 70 or 75 because of the way it's geared. When I'm at 60 I'm too low in 5th and therefore when I get to a hill I have to downshift to 4th and even on a lot of curves and that uses a lot more gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.