Re: Antenna I have with my BCD536HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBobTerp

Hi
I currently have with my BCD536HP is this antenna https://www.scannermaster.com/SpectrumForce_Wideband_Antenna_with_SMA_p/01-541327.htm I have it stuck on my roof a little bit and I’m unable to hear a lot of the systems that I have it just automatically scanned by putting in the ZIP Code. I also have a bigger antenna but it’s at my parents house I don’t remember exactly which one it is but it’s one that I can connect to the chimney. I was wondering if somebody could give me a good antenna that I could buy that comes with the cable so I could stick that on my roof that’s not gonna be very hard to put up on my roof so I can start hearing some systems. I will take a picture of my roof tomorrow or over the weekend so somebody can see a better example of what I’m working with so maybe they can help with a better choice and then maybe one day I will get the antenna from my parents house and put it on my roof

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
You are not going to be able to listen to stations with quality signals and audio with a mobile antenna plopped on the roof. You need a ground plane, even if it's as simple as a cookie sheet or pie plate under the antenna. You would be amazed what you will be able to hear with a base station antenna, mounted securely on a mast attached to the chimney, or other structure on the roof of the location where you want to use your scanner. Or maybe you live in an HOA that prohibits outside antennas of any kind. Many scanner enthusiasts, ham radio, and CB'er mount base station antennas in the attic.

I use a BCD536HP as my mobile scanner attached to a multi-band antenna permanently mounted on the trunk lid of my car. I can monitor just about everything I have programmed in the '536.

JimBobTerp

??????? You need a ground plane, even if it's as simple as a cookie sheet or pie plate under the antenna. ?????????????

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I’m unable to hear a lot of the systems that I have it just automatically scanned by putting in the ZIP Code.
Hi JimBob, been a while. You're not still trying to pick up Allentown & Bethlehem from 40 miles out are you? Might be a stretch for 800mhz. Why not program what you're aiming to hear in favorites list(s) rather than zip code scanning?

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Hi JimBob, been a while. You're not still trying to pick up Allentown & Bethlehem from 40 miles out are you? Might be a stretch for 800mhz. Why not program what you're aiming to hear in favorites list(s) rather than zip code scanning?

Sounds like he should try a dedicated 800mhz "stick" antenna then. I picked up a Laird FG8063 for $25 brand new on Ebay last year. Works awesome. They're small and would be easy to install on a chimney or wood siding...or even zip tie it to a stink pipe on the roof if you need to be discreet

JimBobTerp

Where does it say this is an outdoor antenna? Looks like a car mag mount to me. Pretty sure this needs a ground plane.

what do you mean a ground plane? Also look on Walmart or find me a cheap one that comes already with the wires and all that so I can hook it to my antenna after putting kind of on my roof somewhere if I can

Status
Not open for further replies.