• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Re crystaling an HT220

Status
Not open for further replies.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Hello everyone! I have an HT220 which I bought at a yard sale a few years back. its been sitting on my desk as s show piece. I would like to get crystals for it and use it on the ham bands. I know where I can get crystals for it just now how to actually remove the old ones and install the new ones. Do they just come out with needle nose pliars or do i need to do some soldering? Is this going to be a big project?

Thanks
Steve
WX3PMC

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Crystals

Unless you can find used crystals, you are up against an expensive project, probably much more than the radio is worth. International Crystals, one of the best known,just announced it is going out of business, and the last time I checked on ordering for an older radio, the cost was more than a new synthesised dual band HT.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hello everyone! I have an HT220 which I bought at a yard sale a few years back. its been sitting on my desk as s show piece. I would like to get crystals for it and use it on the ham bands. I know where I can get crystals for it just now how to actually remove the old ones and install the new ones. Do they just come out with needle nose pliars or do i need to do some soldering? Is this going to be a big project?

Thanks
Steve
WX3PMC
The crystals are soldered in so some bit of soldering skill is required. Also these radios require some tuning, so you need the manual. You can probably get crystals from one of the other few vendors if ICM can't take one last order.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The crystals are soldered in so some bit of soldering skill is required. Also these radios require some tuning, so you need the manual. You can probably get crystals from one of the other few vendors if ICM can't take one last order.

Jan is one of the only vendors who will still take orders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

When changing frequencies in an HT220, you may also need to change the 2nd , oscillator frequency to avoid some spurious responses. That and the fact that the antenna impedence is odd, requiring a 50 ohm tune up adaptor, make these unique to tune.. Portable Clinic in Ocala Florida may be a good resource. These radios can be easily refurbished and it would be simple to rig up a lithium Ion battery to power it.

cmdrwill

HT220 is really a fantastic portable. But no one is making good crystals for them anymore.
(in the US).

And every bit of RFI-EMI-GUY's post above IS true, been there did that.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
When changing frequencies in an HT220, you may also need to change the 2nd , oscillator frequency to avoid some spurious responses. That and the fact that the antenna impedence is odd, requiring a 50 ohm tune up adaptor, make these unique to tune.. Portable Clinic in Ocala Florida may be a good resource. These radios can be easily refurbished and it would be simple to rig up a lithium Ion battery to power it.

I want to remember hearing something about the antenna impedance being 39 Ω.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I want to remember hearing something about the antenna impedance being 39 Ω.

I used to have all the widgets and tools to service these things including the UHF and VHF impedance adapters. I had a small collection of HT220 and HT100 stuff. I finally gave all away to another enthusiastic collector of those artifacts. I was refurbishing them from discarded (plan X) frames and buying new plastic and knobs cheap from NPD. I only had one that I could not tame the receiver. The engineers told me to 'sprinkle the board lightly with 30PF capacitors".(WTF Over?) Finally I discovered a broken ground connection.

I knew an engineer from the HT220 design team. He told me that if they had to design that radio all over again they could not do it because it was such a finely engineered design with unique parts and parameters.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Was anyone aware that there was a digitally encrypted HT220? It had CVSD and BCD selection of encryption code. I had the manual for this item. Never saw one though.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The antenna impedance is 72 ohm, that's the reason for the tune up box for RX and TX. I never had to replace a second osc crystal unless they went bad. I still have a few display units including a Vietnam era VHF(139mhz) slimline with PL Military Police model which is all black including the frame which is anodized. A few Converta-Comm units on VHF and UHF.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The antenna impedance is 72 ohm, that's the reason for the tune up box for RX and TX. I never had to replace a second osc crystal unless they went bad. I still have a few display units including a Vietnam era VHF(139mhz) slimline with PL Military Police model which is all black including the frame which is anodized. A few Converta-Comm units on VHF and UHF.

That's probably the correct RF impedance. The speaker is 39 ohms if I recall. The second oscillator change is only to shift from lower to high side injection to avoid some "birdies".

Status
Not open for further replies.