BCD436HP/BCD536HP: re, sentinel software. version that came with my unit possibly incomplete or demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, had my `436HP for a while (got it at Dayton, really nice, and this `un does have promise :)). HOWEVER...i now have a sneaky feeling the copy of Sentinel that comes on the unit is...or may be...incomplete or a demo version. won`t go into all of what i found (many bugs/issues too numerous to mention in one post, one of which is a lack of online help and save options not working and problems with writing to the scanner). What i wanna know now is, is there a place where i could get mabey an updated version or one that is at least complete? This is starting to get odd, and i`m now thinking i should (for now anyway sadly) regelate my shiny new `436HP to a box in a closet untill such time as an update comes out for both scanner and sentinel software (might hafta consider that ARCPro that i snagged at dayton too :). Thanx for any insight, it`s defenitely appreicated :)! N9NRA

lep

Was the 436 new? My 436 which I purchased in Feb 2014 at the Orlando hamcation is NOT come with Sentinel installed on it, I had to do that myself. Therefore, I really don't understand your question, is it is a new unit, did you follow the install instructions?

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, thanx for getting back so fast :). To answer the question, i did follow the instructions, as the software came on the SD card in the scanner (just tried some hunches i had on this just now, unfortunately no joy there. As i said, the issues i`ve been encountering are numerous, and at least anoying. Two of the bigger bugs (i can report the rest in the bug reports forum). One, i have several favorites lists with QK numbers from 0 to 25, and within those are department OK`s as well, i`ve been noticing that after writing the stuff to the scanner that the QK info isn`t getting to the scanner, and it`s there in the software (or ends up incoreect on the scanner), tried doing a full reset of the unit and starting over, just to see what that would do, no joy there, even tried to use the USB cable for my cellphone charger, no go there ether (seems that the cable with the `436HP is a proprietary one, the connector on the end that goes into the scanner is just a shade smaller than my cell`s cable), so right now i`m kinda at a loss, hopefully and update for the scanner or software (preferrably both) will come out and resolve all this, i really like this unit, got it for when i travel so i won`t have to program freqs for wherever i may be going. Thanx for the help anyway, much appreicated.

JamesO

Forget what ever software you have unless it is actually version 1.02 Revision 01.

You need to download and install the Sentinel software from the link I provided.

Sentinel is also used to update the scanners firmware.

The latest 436HP firmware is version 1.03.00.

As for the problems with the Quick Keys, I can guarantee almost all the problems with the scanner are pilot error either with programming or using it.

Favorite Lists have to be separately enabled, Distance settings and Service Types can limit the scanning.

Almost every option on the scanner is actually so software filter to limit what it scans. The software filters have to be configured correctly otherwise the scanner will not work as expected.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised that Quick Key information "isn't getting to" the scanner though it sounds like the other data is. Quick Key information is a part of the Favorites List file.

You might try the following on your scanner:

Menu>Manage Favorites (Select a Favorites List)>Set FL Quick Key and see if the FL Quick Key is the one you assigned via programming.

You can also go into Review/Edit System work your way down the tree to the department and similarly check the Set Department Quick Key.

If the FL Quick Key and Department Quick Key are present and correct, then it's most likely the things JamesO mentioned on Service Types not being enabled or perhaps some issues associated with Location Control if you've turned that on.

JamesO

In my opinion there are too many Quick Keys (QK) and they are not CLEARLY labeled in the software. Department Quick Keys, System Quick Keys, Favorite List Quick Keys and so on.

Then you have issues where the Specific Favorite List needs to be "Enabled" in the software/scanner, otherwise the Favority Quick Key will not respond.

It take 2-4 weeks for many to master these scanners and software, and some do not even fully master the scanner or software in this time frame. A small bite at the apple each time.

I am still trying to fully figure out and get everything sorted in my head and I have had these scanner for close to 6 months. There are a lot of things I still do not fully understand.

Just wait until you get "Nothing To Scan" on the display after you spent a lot of time programming something in the software. Do not worry, "Nothing To Scan" is actually a good thing, this means you are getting closer and something is configured. The problem is the software filtering is not allowing the scanner to monitor anything, just a simple case of "Pilot Error". Once you figure out what you did wrong, then you will be able to scan the list that is giving you the "Nothing To Scan" message.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised that Quick Key information "isn't getting to" the scanner though it sounds like the other data is. Quick Key information is a part of the Favorites List file.

You might try the following on your scanner:

Menu>Manage Favorites (Select a Favorites List)>Set FL Quick Key and see if the FL Quick Key is the one you assigned via programming.

You can also go into Review/Edit System work your way down the tree to the department and similarly check the Set Department Quick Key.

If the FL Quick Key and Department Quick Key are present and correct, then it's most likely the things JamesO mentioned on Service Types not being enabled or perhaps some issues associated with Location Control if you've turned that on.

Yeah, that`s one of the first things i did, and how i noticed the issue. Example, i had a list that had the folloowing QK`s, FLQK 0, SQK`s, 1 2 3 4 5 & 6. All looked good in the sintinel, however when i went (via direct entry on my unit) to that FLQK i saw this, F.0, S.--------- (nothing assigned), and also, some QK`s weren`t what i`d set originally when i created the lists, so somewhere there`s something going on here, i`m just not sure what. Could be "pilot error (kiinda hope)", but i`m thinking there`s a bug somewhere in ether the scanner firmware or the sentinel software, i`ll keep trying with this and see where this takes me.

baayers

Did you set the monitor favorite list setting to on for each of your lists? If monitor is off then quick keys do not work. In Sentinel right click a list and select Monitor Favorite List and choose On. You need to do this for all of your lists. Lastly when you upload to the scanner just to be safe go ahead and check the clear favorite lists from scanner check box just so you know the lists on your scanner are the newest.

JamesO

Directly on the scanner, push the Menu button.

Choose "Set Scan Selection"
Choose "Select Lists To Monitor"
First see if the Favorite List is actually in the "Lists To Monitor" and then make sure the selection for the "Favorite List" is set to "On".

If you only have the 2 default Lists showing, then your "Favoites" did not get loaded into the scanner for some reason.

The 2 default "Lists To Monitor" are:

"Full Database" and "Search with Scan"

To turn off the "Full Database", select Off.

I find some things are more straight forward directly on the scanner than via the Sentinel software.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
(seems that the cable with the `436HP is a proprietary one, the connector on the end that goes into the scanner is just a shade smaller than my cell`s cable),

The cable is not proprietary, the scanner end connector is a standard mini-USB.

Could be "pilot error (kiinda hope)", but i`m thinking there`s a bug somewhere in ether the scanner firmware or the sentinel software, i`ll keep trying with this and see where this takes me.

See this checklist for programming with favorites lists:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...4-x36-nothing-scan-checklist.html#post2121181

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
but i`m thinking there`s a bug somewhere in ether the scanner firmware or the sentinel software, i`ll keep trying with this and see where this takes me.

I don't recall seeing any other posts where Quick Keys got jumbled up. I imagine if there was a bug in the software or scanner firmware, numerous posts would have appeared.

As noted above, be sure you have the latest Sentinel installed on your computer and re-check the things JamesO mentioned.

It's probably a case of getting used to the scanner and the programming software - something that will happen the more time and patience you spend on the scanner/software.

AC2OY

Directly on the scanner, push the Menu button.

Choose "Set Scan Selection"
Choose "Select Lists To Monitor"
First see if the Favorite List is actually in the "Lists To Monitor" and then make sure the selection for the "Favorite List" is set to "On".

If you only have the 2 default Lists showing, then your "Favoites" did not get loaded into the scanner for some reason.

The 2 default "Lists To Monitor" are:

"Full Database" and "Search with Scan"

To turn off the "Full Database", select Off.

I find some things are more straight forward directly on the scanner than via the Sentinel software.
Wow that was great you learn something everyday!!! Seriously good reply man.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
First off he's using the Sentinal software from the scanner itself. Off the SD card that came in it. Not from the site.

He HAS to do what James told him to do and DL the latest from the Uniden site.

Because he's using an old not fully complete software he's having, guess what? Issues with the software.

I would venture that all the "Bugs" and other things he thinks he's found in the software etc. are from using the not fully formed included version of Sentinal. Also I'd bet he's using an old version of the firmware too.

Between the two I'd bet lie most of his problems.

As James has said you must get the Sentinal program from the Uniden site which is the link he provided to you. Then and only then with the correct new Sentinal hook up and update your firmware then see if your problems aren't mostly if not completely solved.

brucewarming

(Ghstwolf62) Because he's using an old not fully complete software......... I hope this version 1.02 Revision 01. Sentinel is not the finial version. There is no help file, you still can't save column width and settings. I needs some work yet.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
(Ghstwolf62) Because he's using an old not fully complete software......... I hope this version 1.02 Revision 01. Sentinel is not the finial version. There is no help file, you still can't save column width and settings. I needs some work yet.

Sorry I wasn't and am not interested in debating the current software out. You have a problem with it, that's fine.

My comment was because everything he said indicates that he was using the Sentinal version off the SD card which came with the scanner. I remember when I was getting mine it had been clearly stated over and over again that you cannot use that software that comes with the scanner for the reasons I stated.

What your comments have to do with that statement I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.