REACH 1 (Medical Helicpter) in Sonoma County

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiml850

Does anyone the frequencies used by REACH 1 when they are dispatched (or when they transmit) to an accident scene or rescue purposes?

Thanks.

SAR923

Reach One uses REDCOM frequencies for most incidents. They will come up on the main REDCOM dispatch frequency and then be directed to one of the tac frequencies listed in the link. They will also occasionally use CLEMARS 1 or 2 or CALCORD. You won't hear much of this traffic unless you are close to the scene since it's all simplex. FYI, Reach One does not do rescues, only medical transports. If there's a rescue involved, Henry One, the S.O. helicopter, will be dispatched. That's usually handled on the S.O. main dispatch frequencies but they will also use REDCOM channels and the mutual aid channels I listed.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Also, REACH 1 has a Satellite Phone in between the seats (or the pilot's seat and the gurney I remember the cockpit of the A109 looking pretty cramped). They have a company dispatcher at STS but they communicate all their initial dispatches or flight following of the fleet primarily via the satellite phone from what I've heard. I noticed someone submitted a company freq for them on 131.875 Mhz - does anyone know if this is primarily used between the pilots or if they have a base station for it at STS so dispatch can talk as well? Next time I'm up there I'll have to give it a listen.

Once airborne and responding to a scene, they'll check in with the county comm center they're headed to. SAR2401 says in Sonoma County thats REDCOM dispatch (and then they'll be directed to a relevant Control or Tac). In Marin County we often use REACH 1 as well (or CALSTAR 1 from CCR), and even though Marin is primarily digital trunked they check in on "MARIN 17" 155.10 PL 114.8, which is used as a mutual aid channel between comm center and outside EMS agencies. They might start using "Marin Local" on 151.04 PL 146.2 as that's a new CAL FIRE mutual aid frequency with the Woodacre ECC of Marin Co Fire (which used to be loband).

Regardless of the frequency, REACH 1 will check in with the county comm center first, obtain updated information about the conditions and location of the LZ, provide an updated ETA, and obtain ground contact information and a frequency. Ex: "REACH 1, LZ is (lat/long coordinates), your ground contact will be Engine 621 on CALCORD, do you have an updated ETA?" or often "REACH 1 you've been cancelled thanks anyway for your help!"

When the pilots switch to CALCORD they talk simplex directly with the units who have prepared the LZ and get some general geographic and weather information and any pertinent hazards. The pilots usually make a pass over and inspect the LZ (with the spotlight especially at night), fly a small traffic pattern and land, advising the units on the ground what they're doing and when it's safe to approach.

Hope that was helpful,

-Inigo

BlueZebra

Hi Inigo!

151.04 isn't a new CalFire mutual aid channel. It is the old Marin DPW freq (either Control 10 or 20- I can't ever get them straight). It has been planned to become "Marin Local" in the Cal Fire Radio plan for many years, pending the completion of MERA. It has been installed in all Cal Fire radios, as a easy way to deal with Marin's trunked radio system. It finally went truly active the middle of 2007.

The other old DPW freq is available as "Marin Command", but hasn't been used to my knowledge.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks! I realize I should have been more clear - I think it was DPW Control 20 county roads, which had a PL of 203.5, but they changed it to 146.2 when it became MRN LCL. Thanks for the info on the other one becoming Marin Command too, I hadn't heard that yet but I'm kind of out of the loop. I haven't heard an air ambulance call in a few months but last I did hear one REACH and CALSTAR were still calling Marincomm on Marin 17, so for all I know they may stick to that.

-Inigo

Status
Not open for further replies.