• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Read This -> How to get TALK PERMIT TONES on your radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezking

Well, now that I've got your attention, please read this entire post. :roll:

What are talk permit tones?
Talk Permit Tones are the three quick beeps (that sound like a "chirp") that Motorola radios seem to be famous for playing when a radio user keys up.

Why are they there? What are they for?
Talk Permit Tones are usually only encountered when a radio is being used on a trunked system. When the radio user presses the PTT button, the radio must ask the system for a frequency on which to transmit (it is asking for something called a "channel grant"). When this request has been properly acknowledged, the radio will sound the talk permit tones to tell the user that it is ready to transmit his or her message over the TRS. If, instead of the "chirp," the radio user hears a low-pitched, continuous "bonk," it means that the system has not assigned the channel, and the user may not transmit at this time.

How can I get my radio to play Talk Permit Tones on a conventional personality?
Basically, you can't. When not on a TRS, there is no need for a channel grant, so there is no reason at all to play talk permit tones. After all, the only reason TPTs exist at all is to tell the radio user that the system is ready to receive the transmission. If you're not on a trunked system, there is no need to ask the system for permission to transmit, so there's concept of being "permitted" to transmit.

But some people made it work! How did they do it?
There are three ways in which people have simulated or tricked their radios into giving Talk Permit Tones.
  1. The HT1000 Method: In this method, which only works on the HT1000, the radio is set up to play DTMF tones upon transmit. The frequency and duration of these tones are set up such that it sounds like the radio is giving talk permit tones. This method is inadvisable because it causes the tone to be transmitted over the air, which will become annoying to whoever else is on the frequency, especially if you're using Amateur Radio. In the real world (on a TRS), the tones are not transmitted over the air - you've never heard them on your scanner, right?
  2. The DVRS Method: This method only applies if the user is going to be using a Quantar P25 conventional repeater. In this method, the radio is tricked into thinking the repeater is really a Digital Vehicular Repeater System (DVRS), which it's not. When the radio is operating on a DVRS, it can play talk permit tones to tell the radio user that the DVRS is ready to receive communications. This method doesn't work if you are using an analog repeater or on simplex.
  3. mikegilbert's Method: Requires the radio to have the Front-Panel Programming (FPP) option. Enable the DVRS option then click the "TA when no DVRS comms" tab, program the radio, and then set the personality via FPP to analog.

Please don't start any more threads asking how to apply Talk Permit Tones to conventional frequencies - as you've just read, it's really not possible at this time without special tricks that may or may not be removed from future firmware releases.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mikegilbert

MHz so good
The DVRS Method: This method only applies if the user is going to be using a Quantar P25 conventional repeater. In this method, the radio is tricked into thinking the repeater is really a Digital Vehicular Repeater System (DVRS), which it's not. When the radio is operating on a DVRS, it can play talk permit tones to tell the radio user that the DVRS is ready to receive communications. This method doesn't work if you are using an analog repeater or on simplex.

Please don't start any more threads asking how to apply Talk Permit Tones to conventional frequencies - as you've just read, it's really not possible at this time.

Thanks!

You're incorrect- It is possible to have talk permit tones on simplex/repeated analog with any FPP XTS2500/4000/5000 radio:

1. Enable the DVRS option then click the "TA when no DVRS comms" tab
  2. Program the radio
  3. Set the personality via FPP to analog.
  4. ???
  5. Profit

Last edited:
I tried the above when it was first posted and can confirm it does work. I can try to make a YouTube video showing it if you really want one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

viper0222

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the above methods, an MCS/MTS2000, or XTL/XTS2500/5000 can be set to issue a single beep on Tx, mimicing the Talk Permit function. This works best in a secure-equipped radio, but will work fine in a non-secure radio (just ignore the POST error code).

In CPS:
1. Enable "Secure"
2. Enable "Tx Clear Alert Tone"

What this does is generate a warning tone when you transmit in Clear mode. This is not transmitted over the air. If you are using MDC or DTMF signalling in the "Leading PTT-ID" mode, this tone is generated after the PTT-ID is transmitted, and in this mode will actually act as a clear-to-talk indicator. This is a great function to have as it can really reduce accidental open mics as you get a beep every time you key up.

Enjoy.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
...make a YouTube video showing it if you really want one...

Not necessary, I was just kidding- TPT sounds are annoying in my opinion. Although, I do have a question: If you are on a trunked network, and your radio is programmed to emit tones, if you have the Tones ON/OFF selection enabled in a Mot radio menu, does setting it to "OFF" disable the TPT as well? Reason being, I've seen radios on the same system in which some have it and some don't. User preference?

...this tone is generated after the PTT-ID is transmitted, and in this mode will actually act as a clear-to-talk indicator...

I've set that before, and that is more annoying than the chirp TPT sound.. IMHO..

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You're incorrect- It is possible to have talk permit tones on simplex/repeated analog with any FPP XTS2500/4000/5000 radio:

1. Enable the DVRS option then click the "TA when no DVRS comms" tab
  2. Program the radio
  3. Set the personality via FPP to analog.
  4. ???
  5. Profit

But It wont work with scan list operation..

OCO

I'm betting the Moderator/Originator of this sticky is wishing he'd remembered to lock it as soon as he posted it...:wink:

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Demo please? ...Besides that one famous YouTube video... ;]

:D I'll make one for you guys- just give me a few days. That video still gets me tons of email with all sorts of questions and warnings haha! "why are you talking on someone's system, etc..." :lol:

I'm betting the Moderator/Originator of this sticky is wishing he'd remembered to lock it as soon as he posted it...:wink:

:wink: He provided incorrect information, so I felt the need to chime in and help out my fellow RR members.

But It wont work with scan list operation..

Good point. I'd edit my post, but it won't allow me to.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I should also say thanks for posting the information in the first place, it should definitely eliminate multiple threads asking for the info. Hope my first reply didn't come off as snide as that wasn't my intention.

bezking

Not at all. I appreciated the opportunity to learn something new myself. I hope you don't mind my adding your info to the OP. :)

Last edited:

2009KVFD976

I got a similar sound on my HT1250 and PRO3150. DTMF tone with 000 and all the times and pretimes are set to the minimal setting. Its not an exact match but its close enough...

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I'm listening to Sac PD North Command right now, and I can hear the TPT tones when some units- mostly the mobiles- transmit. Quite annoying IMO.

Their 800 system seems a little different to what I'm used to hearing because when someone transmits, you can hear the carrier before the system controller actually brings the TX'ing unit's audio through the system. Either that or my scanner is slower than the one on the feed.

W2NJS

If by chance you're using a Motorola DMR (TRBO) HT, then you definitely CAN have talk permit tones if you're using analog FM. It serves no purpose whatsoever but it's still available if you want it.

4-crime

Does anyone know how to get TPT on a digital simplex channel for the XTS5000? Or can it only be done on an analog channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.