Reading Police and Fire Depts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo99

I havent been active in scanning for awhile,I own a Pro 95 from Radio Shack.I know the Reading Police went digital a couple years back.Will the R.S. Digital Pro 96 pick them up(both ends of conversations)or have they changed systems so they cant be monitored.I am thinking of getting one if it picks them up.Thanks.
Jeff

JHARKNESS918

You will be able to pick up most, but not all. Any talkgroup in the system that is analog you will pick up. The digital you wont. I have the uniden bcd396t that picks em all up. Not much chatter w/ I was up there last week though.

hoser147

I would check the RR database to see what radios are in use in the area in Penn. you want to scan. I looked and seen there is Open Sky in use there and that creates a problem when it comes to scanning..........hoser147

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
I would forget about listing to Reading PD. All but 1 or 2 of their talkgroups are encrypted all the time. Fire and EMS are a mix of digital (P25) and analog but unencrypted.

NgoraSweatr

Just some guy, ya know?
Reading PD/FD/EMS

Here's the skinny on the Reading, PA TRS...

Motorola system
Analog, Digital and Encrypted in operation.
(Check the Database for specifics including Frequencies and TG info.)

Analog includes:
Fire Dispatch
Countywide (patch to every TG and radio on the system, used frequently by D.I.D. to contact the City PD, and the City FD to contact the City PD.)
EMS Dispatch
EMS to Hospital
Fire Tac-1, Tac-2, Tac-3
Water Treatment Plant
Downtown Improvement District
Streets Department
Traffic Department
Public Works
Parks Department

Digital and encrypted includes:
Everything else, including ALL Police TG's.

What you do need to know is that the City PD has it's own Conventional Repeater system in case the 800 TRS goes down. It's in the clear analog and the Freq's are in the database under PA, Berks County.

Overall, still some good listening, but I miss the PD bad. As a good standby, program your scanner with all the Berks County stuff (PD, FD, EMS) as well, and you'll have good times.

Also, on a side note, program 501.6875 for some funny stuff sometimes. It's a local taxi company and man, are they a hoot some days.

mo99

The Pro 96 is on sale at R.S for 399.00 until 7/1/06.If it wont pick up much more than what my Pro 95 does,would it probably be not worth the money.My 95 picks up a lot of the Berks County action and I live just outside Reading.Should I program the anolog frequencie and talkgroups into my trunking scanner or isnt there much action on those.Thanks for your input.

mo99

I saw that Radio Shack has the Pro 97 on sale for 150.00.What advantages in my area outside Reading,PA would that scanner have over my current Pro 95.I dont think I will invest in the digital if it isnt going to pick up all the Reading Police action.Thanks.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
Last question best asked in the Radio Shack scanner forum, however some of the best advantages would be ctcss/dcs decoding, LTR trunking,and the ability to name banks to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.