Ready for Irene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

Is RR and its online feeds ready for Hurricane Irene? This is being talked about now as the NYC Katrina and I am sure that there will be major impacts along the entire eastern seaboard. I expect that the online feeds will be even more congested then the EQ this week..... which did shut down the site for a bit.

Those in the area need to get ready also, or consider seriously getting out. Good luck to you all

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In chase, left Thursday AM, tenitive destination Massachusetts.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
In Onslow County, NC. The current models show the eye passing right over our location. I finished boarding up the windows, have the generator on stand-by and have plenty of gas, food, and water. We're staying right where we are. The last really big one to come through here was Fran about 15 years ago. We were without power for 2 weeks back then and it tore the crap out of everything. People seem to have forgotten about that one.

I just can't believe the amount of people that are so complacent.

N2JDS

Watch out for the Hurricane Chasers, Can they convert the TIV to HIV? But seriously, hope you all remain safe. I sat in on a class the outlined what NYC would be like for a hurricane, not a good idea to have one.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Baltimore. My preparedness kit consists of 3 cases of beer and 6 large bottles of wine for my Wife.

The hot tub is warmed up and ready.

Seriously, I'm taking my jet ski off the lift and helping some friends pull their boats out.

I have all my rechargable batteries fully charged and several hand crank lanterns.

I haven't used my genny in so long it won't start, so that is on the list to work on today or tomorrow morning.

We are expecting about a 3' surge and up to 50MPH winds here. But Ocean City, which is 130 miles away, is being evacuated and will be hit HARD by Irene. 10 Foot Surge and at least 70-90 MPH winds.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Sussex County Delaware. It looks like it is gonna be a mess. Batteries charged, ice in the cooler, candles and lighter at the ready.

Sent from my iPhone.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Sussex County Delaware. It looks like it is gonna be a mess. Batteries charged, ice in the cooler, candles and lighter at the ready.

Sent from my iPhone.

Yes... you guys in DE are going to get a big hit too.

Be safe.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ready as I am gonna get....
We have Hurricane related scanner files in the NC forum for
those that wish to use them.
Stay safe everyone!
Marshall KE4ZNR

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
We lost power for 30 hours and lost cable/internet/phone for 63 hours. A LOT of trees down (one in our yard). Lost some shingle on the roof too. That storm lasted longer than any hurricane I've been through. It was like the Energizer Bunny; it kept going and going and going...

We started getting wind/rain at 2100 on Friday. The Eye came ashore at 0730. The wind/rain did not stop until about 2100 Saturday night. Never have I seen a hurricane last 24 hours like Irene did. We are about 8 air-miles from the ocean.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I'm in a Suburb of Baltimore and my area has a ton of trees and wires down.

Our power has been off since Saturday evening and they "hope" to have the power restored in my area by Friday Sept.2nd aby 11:30 PM. After seeing all the damages to the power lines, I have my doubts.

Thank goodness the generator has kept the refrig & freezer going.

And no damage to our house, and that is good news.

Last edited:

oxi

When you live near the ocean, near sea level or below, near rivers or creeks especially near large hills/mountains, your asking for trouble...

Hurricanes you can see them coming and maybe prepare for flash floods but what if an earthquake hits and tsunami follows right after or a meteorite hits just off the coast and creates a massive wave?

Not much time to evacuate...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Early idea is that it won't even come close to Irene's path.

Luckily the predicted path has changed now has it several hundred miles North of where Irene went, and hopefully won't threaten the East Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.