• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ready to sell all my equipment

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I should have know better. I got back into CB and enjoy it. But the local butt heads give me flack for being partially deaf. Was talking skip on 39 LSB tonight, but they found me and started degrading me up there. We have some real s@#t heads on CB. He a trouble starter, he can't hear same stuff different day. Maybe if their radio was tuned right they would not sound like a muffled mess across 3 channels.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I try, but they get the best of me. I run a Automotive repair shop and make good money. They treat me like a welfare recipient , when they are the ones on welfare but can buy amps and radios.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I try, but they get the best of me. I run a Automotive repair shop and make good money. They treat me like a welfare recipient , when they are the ones on welfare but can buy amps and radios.
Don't take it personally. That seems to be the current fad in America today. As my father used to tell me, "This too will pass".

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I am a lonely person. 1989 I had a brain tumor removed from my brain stem, lost my vestibule nerves and left me deaf in one ear and 50 percent in the other. My wife was by my side for two tly onths in Tampa general while I learned how to walk again. My wife passed unexpectedly 10 years ago. I still love her and have not had any activity in that space. thought this would be fun, but the inbreds run on stuff like this.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Have you considered GMRS or ham?

There may be ham or GMRS repeaters in your area that would have a higher class type of user. There are some GMRS linked repeaters that can link you to others from all over.

If CB isn't your thing, and you are NOT alone there, finding one of the other radio services might be a bit more friendly.
GMRS license is $35 for 10 years. No test.
Amateur license is cheap and the test isn't too difficult with a bit of studying.

If you are going to sell your equipment, you could buy a decent ham or GMRS radio fairly cheap.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
@mmckenna beat me to it. CB has been an absolute wasteland for years. I haven't really touched CB since the 90s and it was a wasteland back then. Sure, there are some pockets of good people out there, but generally speaking, it's just a huge waste of RF spectrum.

There are dbags in the ham world too, but the difference between CB and ham is night and day. Go get your ham ticket and you'll never look back.

kny2xb

Get your technician license & get on amateur, and/or GMRS, $35.00 for 10 years & no test for the license

If you're still in the Tampa area, there's the Tampa 575, the Tampa 700 [it's not as active as the 575, but it's there],
& the Clearwater 600 on GMRS, all three are open repeaters
The Tampa 575 & Clearwater 600 repeater owners are both hams also, & have repeaters on both services

Several users I speak with are both ham & GMRS, or they're studying for their ticket, & they're a bunch of good guys
I'm only GMRS, I don't have a ham license so I can't speak for the ham repeaters or users
I have listened to a few local repeaters on my scanner though & I haven't heard any jerks there

As my parents used to say: "Don't let the b@$t@rd$ win!"

Pardon my language, but it needs to be said

73 to everyone, ham, CB, GMRS, SWLs...

Edit: My apologies, I didn't see that you're now in SC, still, go for your ham ticket, check the RR database for ham repeaters in your area,
& check mygmrs.com for open repeaters near you

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am a lonely person. 1989 I had a brain tumor removed from my brain stem, lost my vestibule nerves and left me deaf in one ear and 50 percent in the other. My wife was by my side for two tly onths in Tampa general while I learned how to walk again. My wife passed unexpectedly 10 years ago. I still love her and have not had any activity in that space. thought this would be fun, but the inbreds run on stuff like this.
Many of us here on RR are lonely in our own way for what ever reason. It looks like you've been here on RR since 2011 but it sounds like you found some new friends tonight here on RR you didn't even know you had! No offense all you CB'ers but I'm sure you'll agree, CB is not the place to find what they call "model citizens". There are all walks of life, just like anywhere else. Not sure how old you are but the older I get the more disillusioned with people I have become. Stay active here on RR and join in more often! :)

Last edited:

wtp

move up the the 'higher' channels ?
i hate to say go illegal, but.....
years ago i had a good group that others tried to ruin.
i moved a crystal in an old CB and got in between channels.
others in the group used scanners to listen as we were on CB, CB in between, higher than CB(freeband), MURS, ham(148.0), and two on 49Mhz handheld(kids toy). the point was that no one listened to the channel they were on. we listened to other frequencies and no one ever caught on.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
@mmckenna beat me to it. CB has been an absolute wasteland for years. I haven't really touched CB since the 90s and it was a wasteland back then. Sure, there are some pockets of good people out there, but generally speaking, it's just a huge waste of RF spectrum.

There are dbags in the ham world too, but the difference between CB and ham is night and day. Go get your ham ticket and you'll never look back.

The last time I actually used CB for any real communications, we ran into some guy that had decided Channel 19 was "his" channel and proceeded to interfere with us every time we tried to talk. Each time we changed channels, the guy would follow us.

I had recently installed a GMRS mobile, and the two others I was with had GMRS radios. We switched to a GMRS simplex channel and didn't have any more issues with the guy.

Shortly after that, I pulled the CB out of the truck. Every now and then I put it back in, thinking I might find some use for it. I don't. Back in the box it goes.

Some people benefit from CB, some don't. I don't. It has it's place, but unfortunately there are those individuals that have to wreck things for everyone else.

FM CB with a CTCSS/DCS squelch would be useful if you knew who you were talking to. That's about the only reason I'd try CB again, but I'm not going to waste money to find out.

And, there are absolutely jackaśšēś on ham radio. It's not magically exempt for them. But it's easier to find someone else to talk to when you do run into them.

PACNWDude

Back in the day, when we encountered ****heads that did nothing but cause trouble, each and everyone learned valuable lesson. That lesson was be respectful or keep purchasing new coax and antennas.
You hit the nail (or staple) right on the head.

Have you considered GMRS or ham?

There may be ham or GMRS repeaters in your area that would have a higher class type of user. There are some GMRS linked repeaters that can link you to others from all over.

If CB isn't your thing, and you are NOT alone there, finding one of the other radio services might be a bit more friendly.
GMRS license is $35 for 10 years. No test.
Amateur license is cheap and the test isn't too difficult with a bit of studying.

If you are going to sell your equipment, you could buy a decent ham or GMRS radio fairly cheap.
Good recommendation is Ham radio. Entry exams are easy even if your not technically minded. If you enjoy the entry license bands (sorry I’m not sure what they are in the US but you can Dr Google it) you can always upgrade to get extra band and power privileges. Warning: there’s butt head’s also on Ham radio but are few and far between. Also with Ham radio there’s soo much different operating you can do, so you’ll never get bored of just rag chewing. Plus you can learn the mechanics (amplifiers, antennas and radios) and physics (sunspots and propagation…).
Good luck.
I know it’s hard but don’t let these wombats try and ruin your hobby or sports. There will always be people like this. People who do this generally have a life problem and take it out on other.

Last edited:
The last time I actually used CB for any real communications, we ran into some guy that had decided Channel 19 was "his" channel and proceeded to interfere with us every time we tried to talk. Each time we changed channels, the guy would follow us.

I had recently installed a GMRS mobile, and the two others I was with had GMRS radios. We switched to a GMRS simplex channel and didn't have any more issues with the guy.

Shortly after that, I pulled the CB out of the truck. Every now and then I put it back in, thinking I might find some use for it. I don't. Back in the box it goes.

Some people benefit from CB, some don't. I don't. It has it's place, but unfortunately there are those individuals that have to wreck things for everyone else.

FM CB with a CTCSS/DCS squelch would be useful if you knew who you were talking to. That's about the only reason I'd try CB again, but I'm not going to waste money to find out.

And, there are absolutely jackaśšēś on ham radio. It's not magically exempt for them. But it's easier to find someone else to talk to when you do run into them.
We have been using FM CB with tone for over 30 years or more Down Under. And no it doesn’t matter. The trouble makers still make havoc for some or all. They’ll just find your tone and it’s back to square 1. Look at what I posted about UHF FM CB here in Australia. I know the US is going or already gone 27MHz FM but I don’t think they use tones.

gary123

The no tone in the radios is a cost cutting thing. All its going to do is put a pile of inferior cheap radios on the market. Anyone in these threads would know you should be looking at a all mode (AM,FM,SSB) radio. As its been said a million times. Better to have a feature and not use it then to need or want it and not have it. PL and DPL is one of these features eventually you are going to want to have.

scanman56

CB is a fetid dump heap

The no tone in the radios is a cost cutting thing. All its going to do is put a pile of inferior cheap radios on the market. Anyone in these threads would know you should be looking at a all mode (AM,FM,SSB) radio. As its been said a million times. Better to have a feature and not use it then to need or want it and not have it. PL and DPL is one of these features eventually you are going to want to have.
Because our UHF CB FM band was in the 476-477MHz, we did use commercial radios. Motorola, Symco, Sawtron , Tait, and Midlands with 25watts OP, was way better that the standard taiwanese made 5watt radios. You could go to a dealership and if you had the money you could buy the proramming S/W. Plus you didn’t need cavity filters to block out the overdriven P.O.S. Commercial radio are built with commercial grade components and done properly.