• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ready to sell all my equipment

PACNWDude

Because our UHF CB FM band was in the 476-477MHz, we did use commercial radios. Motorola, Symco, Sawtron , Tait, and Midlands with 25watts OP, was way better that the standard taiwanese made 5watt radios. You could go to a dealership and if you had the money you could buy the proramming S/W. Plus you didn’t need cavity filters to block out the overdriven P.O.S. Commercial radio are built with commercial grade components and done properly.
When a company I worked for threw out older Icom IC-U400's I learned very quickly that I could sell these as "CB" radios in your area. They were bought up very quickly and I made some quick cash. Good thing for flat rate boxes too. I would sell one fully working radio and a second parts radio in a set. These were programmed for UHF CB use in Australia. I hope some of those are still in use as this was about 15 years old and the only reason they were being replaced was to standardize on the Icom IC F-2020 model instead enterprise wide.

PACNWDude

Thank you guy's. It's only two people causing the stir, but the are persistent. I liked WTP idea of fre banding, might try that.
Yes, do not let a couple of people get you down. Might even be an interesting Radio Direction finding project for someone. People are not as bold in person.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Thank you guy's. It's only two people causing the stir, but the are persistent. I liked WTP idea of fre banding, might try that.

A couple people in our area had the same issues. One guy sold his equipment but is active on GMRS. Very different class of people on GMRS and ham

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I had a few of the old timers step up last night and defend me. Some of the other old timers got pissed. It is what it is, but alot are behind me, but some think they own the airwaves.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Another problem is I go by my old handle that I had on here that was Comptech. Well a lot of times I will here what sounds like Comptech, but is really contact, then the local A=a**holes start laughing at me for being completely deaf in one ear and 50% in the other. Never once do the think they are so over modulated that they sound like a high powered slurring drunk.

kny2xb

Per Eleanor Roosevelt:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."

In this case, looking @$$hole$ in the face [actually in the speaker], then walking away, changing channels, etc

Many 73 to you

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Tonight is the tough night, the buttheads assemble.

KOK5CY

I too was heavy in the CB band mobile. Spent $$ on high $$ equipment and had it all set up for shooting skip and never could make a contact. So 1 day decided to throw in the towel and sold all my equipment and decided to go with GMRS and got my license and radio and I'm really enjoying it. At least GMRS is monitored by the FCC. Anyway I've made a few local contacts. I've got 4 repeater's programmed in our radio .

So go get your license and make new contacts and enjoy it.

FPR1981

Not all local CB is trash. Our CB community was a wasteland back in the 1990s, but the morons either all died off, moved away or lost interest.

We have a wonderful community of approximately 20 CB enthusiasts who all help each other out like family. If someone falls on hard times, a crew of us shows up to help. Someone's antenna blows down? We show up and fix it.

Somebody needs equipment? I have a small museum of radios and antennas I have amassed. I, and others, will put people on the air.

There is very little foul language, no fighting or bickering and we have all taken pride in getting to know each other.

In fact, the last time I was cussed out or treated like crap was on GMRS and FRS bands, where every idiot and their kid has a walkie talkie and acts like a butthead. I've found some real low IQ harassment and trash on those bands.

I am sorry that you are being treated with disrespect. Do not let those people get to you.

FPR1981

I too was heavy in the CB band mobile. Spent $$ on high $$ equipment and had it all set up for shooting skip and never could make a contact. So 1 day decided to throw in the towel and sold all my equipment and decided to go with GMRS and got my license and radio and I'm really enjoying it. At least GMRS is monitored by the FCC. Anyway I've made a few local contacts. I've got 4 repeater's programmed in our radio .

So go get your license and make new contacts and enjoy it.
I've tried GMRS, and encountering the idiots and kids with walkie talkie was no fun. I was setting up an antenna and attempted to make contacts, only for some smart mouth punk to cuss me out and threaten to kick my butt.

Clearly he's never seen me in person, but I digress.

Other times I've attempted to talk I've either been heckled by kids or treated like I was bothering people. I can see GMRS as an option for emergency communication, but I've found it to be no place for fellowship or random conversations.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Other times I've attempted to talk I've either been heckled by kids or treated like I was bothering people. I can see GMRS as an option for emergency communication, but I've found it to be no place for fellowship or random conversations.

GMRS was never intended for random communications like CB or ham radio. It was always intended for family use, and before the changes, small businesses. The CTCSS/DCS codes were what made it useful for many people, compared to CB.

Not surprising that was what you experienced. It is what happens to most when they try to use it like ham or CB.

wtp

free banding.
and you tell you friends to move to another channel like T 5 (tee five) and that just means stay off the air for five minutes take five.
and then go to a prearranged channel, sure they will find you but then you go to T 7.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
i moved a crystal in an old CB and got in between channels

We had modified radios and could slide between channels. Local group of morons used to screw around all over then go to ch 35 so we would go between 34 and 35. We would start on lower sideband, then to upper sideband. Even some FM. All with heaters (linear amplifiers) going. We would circle the group since we all had cars making it impossible for them to communicate. They all lived in the same town. They eventually started to play nice.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Clearly he's never seen me in person, but I digress.
They are all talking tough guys behind the mic and, well you know, when face to face. Been there, done that.

BTW,
Nice shirt. Its a shame what happened to Rick Allen.

Last edited:

FPR1981

GMRS was never intended for random communications like CB or ham radio.
I agree, and that's why I find it absurd when people suggest getting a license and using it instead. There are a few of those suggestions within this thread.

To each their own, but I don't care for it.

FPR1981

They are all talking tough guys behind the mic and, well you know, when face to face. Been there, done that.

BTW,
Nice shirt. Its a shame what happened to Rick Allen.
Yep. They either won't face you, or if they do, it's suddenly all a misunderstanding. And on the topic of Rick Allen, that poor guy has been through so much in his lifetime, my heart goes out to him.

bucket772

Feed Provider
As said before, consider getting you ham ticket. I just got into DMR. you can get a relatively cheap handheld and hit your local repeaters. Get a DMR hotspot and you have access to talkgroups all over the world. It's much more refined then CB for sure. And its crystal clear

Last edited:

285M

KC1SSG
Its truly disgusting, there as some real low life POS people out there. I have to shut my CB off several times a day due to this crap as well. I’m currently going for my general class ham license, I think the HF ham bands are much more civilized from what I’ve listed to so far. I’m not a fan of tests and licenses but I’m starting to realize that is might be the only answer. It’s truly shocking just how many nut jobs are actually out there. I don’t encounter them much in the real world so it’s easy to forget just how many insane people really exist. It seem like a large number of them are on CB radio. Honestly I’ve been away from CB for many decades and I just got back into it. It seems like the lunatic to sane ratio is worse today then it used to be on CB, but maybe my tolerance just isn’t the same as it used to be? Hell maybe I’m just becoming that miserable old geezer that I made fun of when I was a kid🤣