Real World Comparison 396XT VS. PSR500

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Sorry my mistake thought u were saying the Uniden was worse then the GRE because it only has 20 groups.
I take it back.

I agree more groups would be good, as well as more talkgroups per system.. in that regard the GRE wins with over 3 times more. 500 is pretty limited for a scanner with 25,000 channels.

I wasn't complaining about the 396XT, it is a fantastic scanner. Anyone that has a "T" version and wondering if it's worth "upgrading" do yourself a favor....buy one now. If you live someplace that has digital you'll soon fall in love with this little gem. My comment about 20 groups per system was just that a comment here in Indiana we have a state wide system and it would be easier to be able to put more than 20 groups in ONE system esp. in a scanner that has 25,000 "channels" that's all just a comment not a complaint........NOT ONE TIME has this near perfection gem made that damn bbbrrrraaaapppppp noise..........got to love the 396XT

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I have owned at one time the 396t 996t PSR-500 and now own a 396XT, and i have monitored most all digital systems across the country, the 396XT digital and analog are the best i have ever seen in a scanner, my only complaint is the attenuator is to strong, it would be nice to agjust the attenuation rate
just enought to get rid of overload, but not kill the signal

Ablice

It may be simply that I am a lower-level amateur user, but I feel that for some strange reason or another, the 396XT is over-rated.

I don't use my scanner all the time, so that could come into account. There are only four trunked systems in my area, no digital. The Sheriff and PD are duplex conventional freqs, and the others aren't very interesting to me.

396XT > 396T...maybe. I get the feeling that I have an old 1920's experimental crystal tuner compared to a highly exalted and inspirational mega-scanner.

I'm happy with mine, I could use some of the features of the 396XT, but not for $500+ (heck the standard 396T new costs 425+ already). I figure Uniden will no longer update the firmware for the 396T, probably to prevent it from getting too close to the 396XT. Which will likely be replaced by a 396XLT.

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
How is the 396T better then the 396XT? Just on duplex freqs?

Im sure there will be a 396XT replacement, I vote for the name 396XTS (unless Motorola has the XTS trademarked)

but a replacement in the future doesnt stop me from buying them (if that was the case nobody would ever buy cars as there is always replacements coming out, every year).

It may be simply that I am a lower-level amateur user, but I feel that for some strange reason or another, the 396XT is over-rated.

I don't use my scanner all the time, so that could come into account. There are only four trunked systems in my area, no digital. The Sheriff and PD are duplex conventional freqs, and the others aren't very interesting to me.

396XT > 396T...maybe. I get the feeling that I have an old 1920's experimental crystal tuner compared to a highly exalted and inspirational mega-scanner.

I'm happy with mine, I could use some of the features of the 396XT, but not for $500+ (heck the standard 396T new costs 425+ already). I figure Uniden will no longer update the firmware for the 396T, probably to prevent it from getting too close to the 396XT. Which will likely be replaced by a 396XLT.

Ablice

How is the 396T better then the 396XT? Just on duplex freqs?

Im sure there will be a 396XT replacement, I vote for the name 396XTS (unless Motorola has the XTS trademarked)

but a replacement in the future doesnt stop me from buying them (if that was the case nobody would ever buy cars as there is always replacements coming out, every year).

I do not own a 396XT, so I can't authortively speak on its behalf. But I will say that the 396XT beats the 'T in nearly every catagory except price.

With all the freqs that can be readily picked up in my area, I barely use 6% of the memory. And with recent additions for statewide and other freqs, I'll pobably be hard press to top 30% memory. With future planning for the principal city freqs of all 58 counties, I doubt I'll hit 75% memory. Scrolling with the multifunction knob through a bunch of systems is annoying anyways, so I'm well set on the 396T for my purposes.

I'm confident the 396XT is a good scanner, but I think we should lay off on the "holier than thou" going on with 396XT vs. 396T debates.

EDIT: Sorry to add at this time: Motorola already "owns" the XTS....saw it on the page adds just here ;) XTS4000, $2000; XTS5000 M3, $1300...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.