Realistic 20-105 Pro-24 scanning receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckreig

Hello,

I couldn't find a manual for this unit although I did find the specs and parts list online. It is vintage. I'm wondering the function of the 4 internal switches with 3 positions of each switch. I have never been able to receive anything on it. Is it too old? I'm looking for an inexpensive scanner for emergency use. I'd like to know what I can know that is being broadcast during any sort of natural disaster or period of civil unrest in my area of East Tennessee (Knox County). I've never owned a scanner before. This unit was inherited years ago and since I couldn't get it to receive anything, I just shelved it. I would be interested to sell it if it is of no value for the application I desire. Please recommend something to suit my needs and I would consider buying a used one you have to offer or even trading, in part, my old unit if you are a collector. Thank you very much.

John

georgew0819

Pro 24 Pocket Scanner

The Pro 24 model you have is an older crystal scanner. It would monitor 4 frequencies determined by the crytals you put in. The 4 internal switches were to set the band the crystal was in (ie: VHF-Hi, VHF-Lo or UHF).

The Police Departments in you county operate on a Motorola Type II Smart net 800mhz, the county EMS run in the 400mhz range (UHF) and almost all of the County Fire Depts are in the 154 to 159 Mhz (VHF-Hi) range.

Now you could listen to EMS and Fire Departments on that scanner but you would be limited to only 4 choices out of approximately 30 other Fire and EMS channels. I would suggest looking on ebay or in the classifieds on this and other scanner/radio sites and purchase a used scanner that is capable of monitoring Motorola II Smartnet (I picked up a used one for $60 ) this way you can hear all the agencies in your area.

I would also figure out what VFD and Rural Metro Units are closest to you and purchase 4 crystals for thier frequencies and keep the Pro 24 for your collection and use that as well. Many of us have mutiple scanner new and old and enjoy using both, just watch out for the bug because once it bites you find you keep adding more scanners as you go along.

scansalot52

Its possible that the switches are not set for the correct band for the crystal in each position.
There are other troubleshooting steps, like do you hear static if you turn the squelch control back and forth.
Pull each crystal out and compare the frequency on it with the database here on RR. If its still listed you might still hear something. The frequency will either be stamped on the top or side or it may be printed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.