Realistic Pro 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

I am thinking of buying another Pro 2006 but first a question, there is a model that has a Dimmer switch and a model that has a Light switch, the light switch being a newer model. My question is other than the Dimmer/ Light switch, are they exactly the same radio or would the newer model be a better radio if so why. I also understand that with the model with the Light switch you can turn the display light off and or make it brighter is this correct?
Thanks for the help.

Moonbounce

ecps92

Two of my working 2006's are Dimmer
And to add - my two that sit for parts [TSA beat the crap out of them] one is Dimmer and one is Light

I am thinking of buying another Pro 2006 but first a question, there is a model that has a Dimmer switch and a model that has a Light switch, the light switch being a newer model. My question is other than the Dimmer/ Light switch, are they exactly the same radio or would the newer model be a better radio if so why. I also understand that with the model with the Light switch you can turn the display light off and or make it brighter is this correct?
Thanks for the help.

Moonbounce

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Production of the PRO-2006 began in early 1990 under catalog number 20-145. At the end of 1991, after producing over 50,000 units, the backlight function was updated. The original backlight switch had settings of dim and bright. The updated PRO-2006, catalog number 20-145A, had backlight switch settings of ON and OFF. The ON setting was actually mid-way between the old dim and bright settings of the 20-145 radio. The update was done to increase the lifespan of the backlight because it tended to go dim with use, especially if run on the bright setting continuously. There was no other change between the two versions of the PRO-2006. Production continued with the 20-145A until 1994 after more than 80,000 units had been produced.

moonbounce

Production of the PRO-2006 began in early 1990 under catalog number 20-145. At the end of 1991, after producing over 50,000 units, the backlight function was updated. The original backlight switch had settings of dim and bright. The updated PRO-2006, catalog number 20-145A, had backlight switch settings of ON and OFF. The ON setting was actually mid-way between the old dim and bright settings of the 20-145 radio. The update was done to increase the lifespan of the backlight because it tended to go dim with use, especially if run on the bright setting continuously. There was no other change between the two versions of the PRO-2006. Production continued with the 20-145A until 1994 after more than 80,000 units had been produced.

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know :).
Moonbounce

PACNWDude

Great information, have one of each version my self, and still use them for analog radio monitoring. Great radios that continue to serve me well. Now, I know the history of the backlight issue. Although, I was told when I bought my first one in 1992 to always keep it on the dimmer lower level setting to prolong its life. The Radio Shack owner was a grizzled old Air Force electronics technician, and gave me $50 off for being an Air Force electronics technician myself. That Pro-2006 may have to be buried with me one day....lol.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have a total of 6 of the PRO-2006 scanners (one of them is actually the Commtel COM205 version of the PRO-2006), all in great working condition and used daily. They first appeared in the 1991 Radio Shack catalog. I purchased one at that time, and acquired more over the years. 3 of them have the dimmer, and the other 3 have the on/off switch (including the COM205). There is no difference at all in the performance/features of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.