Realistic Pro-2020 --> Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve6540

Hey Everyone!
Well, I'm new to these forums, also new to the whole scanner thing. Yesterday, my grandfather gave me this old scanner he found. My cousin tried it out before me and said it did not work. Well, I took it home and went on this site and found Pierre Eliot Trudeau Airport automatic thing. Kinda boring. I need help to as what I can do with a scanner like this one, how to use it, and some decent "stations" to listen to. I live in Laval,Quebec. I don't know how far my range is. I have 2 antennas; one small one that you can find on regular radios, and the other one plugs into the back, is double the size of the other one and has what looks like a roll of cable in the middle.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

tusker305

Well you sure got a great radio, it aint modern but you can still listen to some of the good stuff. Aircraft, Marine, Weather, Amateur (Ham) radio. If you can here the "Trudeau Airport automatic thing" You will soon learn to call this just plain ATIS (Automatic Terminal Information Service) It's a recording of the current state of the airport and is used by every pilot comming and going. If you hear it, that means you can also hear Tower, Terminal, Ground, etc. I listed them for you from the database on this site below. Being so close the Seaway and the Port of Montreal you can here all the marine traffic (Ships, Coast Guard, Sailboats etc) Google "St Lawrence Seaway Marine VHF Channels"
Amateur Radio is also good VHF / UHF listening there are a number of Ham Repeaters in your area. Again do a Google search for "Montreal Amateur Repeaters" or search with the radio between 144.00 - 148.00. Use the big antenna, here is a link to the operation manual. http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc45/45530.htm

This one is for your airport freqs http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=3524

Welcome to the hobby, hope this helps you get started. The database on this site is very useful. There are many folks on this board willing to answer any questions you have, so just ask.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
My goodness but this scanner is probably 10-20 yrs old!

It seems to have room for 20 memories (i.e. channels).

For the Montreal Police force you can enter in these frequencies:

410.11250* WEST ZONE*
410.26250* Free (Often use by the Command center)*
410.26350* SOUTH ZONE*
410.48750* NORTH ZONE*
410.61250* EAST ZONE*
410.78750* Subway (50-xx units)*
410.91250* General info channel*
410.66250* Simplex operations*
412.68750* Free*
411.31250* Free*

If I remember correctly Laval cannot be monitored
For the SQ check out the frequencies in district 6 and some of the bridges in district 10.
Check this site:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=2377

Last edited:

TIZ6

EJB this model was one of my first scanners. It's old alright... late '80s vintage. Good scanner for the guy to noodle around with until he decides if he likes scanning enough to drop a few hundred on something newer.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
EJB this model was one of my first scanners. It's old alright... late '80s vintage. Good scanner for the guy to noodle around with until he decides if he likes scanning enough to drop a few hundred on something newer.

I agree.
For now a good deal of Quebec/Montreal comms are analog & in the clear, no trunking.
That said I dont live there anymore, maybe a local might have more frequencies for the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.