Really Basic R-2000 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTCSZ

While digging through the basement in preparation for some remodeling, my grandson and I came across a Kenwood R-2000 Communications Receiver...I believe it had belonged to my father and somehow ended up in my basement...We want to check it out and see how it performs...First question: On the back of the radio there are two terminals for a wire antenna...They are labeled "50 Ohms and 500 Ohms"...To which terminal should I attach the random length wire antenna? I am sure I will have other questions and will appreciate both your information and your patience! Thanks a lot...

Steve and Kevin in Kansas

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I used to have a R-1000 many years ago. It was a great receiver. Anyway, you can put a random wire into the 50 ohm terminal, but either can be used. See which sounds better. Since you're not transmitting, it's not critical to match the impedance.

I used a 20 to 30 foot section of wire just spread out on the floor (at the time) with the R-1000, and that worked pretty well for a quick setup.

majoco

Stirrer
More information than really wanted....

R-2000 Instruction Manual

I've had my R2000 since new in about 1982 and it hasn't really put a foot wrong - still as sensitive as my other much more expensive radios and spot on frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.