• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rebanding and Channel Assignments Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lars128

Let me first say that I asked this question before, though I worded it rather poorly and never really got the answer I'm looking for.

I have two systems in my county that are Motorola Type II SmartNet. All frequencies are within 856.2625 - 860.2625. The federal lookup shows no change for rebanding.

Is it likely that any action will be taken in the near future to move the channel spacing to 12.5 kHz and change the channel assignments? Or is it likely that this will not occur until the narrowbanding regulations take effect?

Should I expect to wake up to things not working or can I sleep soundly at night knowing I do not have to replace a collection of scanners or get the proper updates? Thanks for the help.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Systems in the 856.0125 to 860.9875 range are not subject to rebanding, so your system will not be affected. I'm a little confused on the spacing, too. The "in-between" channels are only assigned in border areas (Canada and Mexico), so it appears they are already 12.5 spacing. Consider San Diego or other border areas. Closer to Mexico they use the "splinter" or in-between channels in some areas and they do not interfere with the "non-splinter" channels in areas further away.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=219

Russell

AlanTilles

800 MHz "Interleaved Channels" (i.e. 856-860 MHz) are not part of the FCC's narrowbanding proceeding (although it was considered briefly). That mandate applies to the 150 and 450 MHz bands.

BTW - Public Safety licensees have the choice of rebanding their 860.0125 to 860.9875 frequencies in the non-border areas if they so desire. It's a choice, not a requirement.

With regard to the Mexican Border issues addressed above, the channel centers are assigned on those 12.5 kHz offsets, with no center channel assignment on the main USA channel. Its not narrowbanded, its just offset.

Alan
www.800mhzrebanding.com

Status
Not open for further replies.