Rebanding article on the wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Recently I was approached by a user who wanted to add some data into the rebanding article. Investigation showed that the article itself was well over 200k long. While modern browsers like Firefox and IE can handle this, some older browsers - such as Navigator, I believe- can get into problems when trying to view articles of this size. I also suspect that some screen readers (common for sight-impaired folks) may also have this issue (I work for SSA, so I am sensitive to issues like this).

Further investigation showed the culprit to be the table listing all the systems that expect to be rebanded. I won't go into all the errors I found there, but suffice it to say that the majority of the actual length of the article was in this table. There were also numerous systems that were repeated twice or even three times, making this table unwieldy and difficult to modify.

I have now recoded this table into 2 seperate ones; one for all US systems, the other for foreign systems. The table coding has been changed from HTML to wiki markup language, making it far easier to maintain and modify. All duplications have been dropped, and borders make it a little easier to read the individual rows (at least I think so...). These 2 tables are now linked to the rebanding article, far and away reducing its size and also making it more manageable.

Please feel free to update these tables as systems reband. There are specific instructions and suggestions on each article - be sure to include your own ideas here. Although the US table is very long, it's still well within most all browser's capabilities to read and edit without MediaWiki getting uptight.

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.