Rebanding concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottk

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how or if i will be affected by rebanding.?

I have a uniden bcd996t, and also a uniden bc895 xlt ,and a handheld sc150b,

I've been doing som research on rebanding and expect it to affect the two latter scanners, because they are analog,

But what I want to know is will rebanding even affect my area.

I live in pott county in the northeastern corner of kansas, and so far i havent seen where rebanding is going to happen here any time soon.

Any help would be great

Bottk

BCD996t, BC895xlt, and SC150b.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Rebanding support has nothing to do with whether a scanner is an analog or digital type - it's more to do with the age of the scanner and/or whether the firmware can be reflashed or updated to accept the new table configurations. Neither the 895 nor the sc150 can - but the 996T can be.

I point this out, because the 246 and BCT15, both analog scanners, are also rebandable and are analog trunkers.

When your area in Kansas will go ahead with rebanding, I have no clue. It's been happening in fits and starts nationwide, so I suspect it will be quite a long time before all regions are completed. I understand that, at least in some states, Nexhell and Sprint are dragging their heels (this is the case, as I understand it, in Delaware), and let's face it - finances aren't what they were when this whole mess began.

I would bet it would be some time before it gets to Kansas, but I'll let the locals validate that line of reasoning 73 Mike

firefive76

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how or if i will be affected by rebanding.?

I have a uniden bcd996t, and also a uniden bc895 xlt ,and a handheld sc150b,

I've been doing som research on rebanding and expect it to affect the two latter scanners, because they are analog,

But what I want to know is will rebanding even affect my area.

I live in pott county in the northeastern corner of kansas, and so far i havent seen where rebanding is going to happen here any time soon.

Any help would be great

Bottk

BCD996t, BC895xlt, and SC150b.

Rebanding has to do with 800MHz systems. Pott Co is on UHF, or 400 MHz. If you are listening to the Shawnee County TRS, they have already started the rebanding process.

ksduster

Weather enthusiast
Feed Provider
I know this much about the wichita area.. they are starting to rotate in the digital radios, on a analog/digital hybrid setup..
You can tell the difference between the old radios, and the new digital ones for when they go live on the system sometime later 2010 - to early 2012.. (pending funds, as its never cheap to switch to digital)
On the current set up.. the digital is horrible.. (comming over the analog hybrid setup) Its really sad, when you can hear an officer over a portable better, than transmitting over his/her mobile radio..

keithb

Premium Subscriber
FYI:

Pott county, Wamego and WB county are also using the 800 P-25 KSICS system - mostly for law enforcement communications, although fire and EMS has talkgroups assigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.