Rebanding - How to tell from your database if a scanner will work

Status
Not open for further replies.

skusner

I am new to scanning and considering a BC780XLT that does not support rebanding. I live in Delaware County Pennsylvania, in the town of Aston. How can I tell on the database if the towns I want to hear are part of rebanding?

Steve

mciupa

DELCOLHFC

You should be O.K.

Rebanding only affects 800MHz trunked systems, your local radio traffic in and around (for the most part) the Aston/Delco area is conventional (that means non-trunked). There will be rebanding changes on the Philly systems and the Delaware State system but both of those are digital which your BC780XLT can't monitor anyway.
Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to discuss what may or may not be monitorable from your location, or if you have any other questions regarding what is/are active channels in the Delco area.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding

Several elements have to be true before a scanner will stop working on a rebanded system. I looked at the DB page for your county, and only see 3 trunked radio systems there. If you are not scanning a trunked system, all you will have to do is program in the new frequencies and you are good to go.

Is the system a Motorola type trunked radio system? If not, and you were able to monitor the system before rebanding, just program in the new frequencies and you're good to go.

If the system is Motorola, and rebanded, do ANY of the voice frequencies fit the format of 8xx.xxx0 MHz? (Note the zero in the 4th position after the decimal point.) If so, your scanner will not track to these frequencies. Otherwise, it will.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Rebanding affects 800 MHz conventional frequencies, too.
Not really. They may change frequencies, but so what? There are no conflicts with preloaded LCN line ups on Motorola systems, which is the only concern with rebanding and scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.