Rebanding in Sacramento or Roseville

Status
Not open for further replies.

abiu01

Premium Subscriber
Roseville press release

The only problem with Roseville releasing their press release, is that ole DeeDee Gunther will be fielding telephone calls for the next week from a bunch of little old ladies wanting to know how to program their scanners that now don't work. (-:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-164 or PSR-300

Thanks for the info guys! Apparently there is some difference between the PSR-300 and the Pro-164 in that after further searching of info, I found out that the tables can only be entered in the Pro-164 by using software programming.
I don't think there is a difference. The manuals on either scanner indicate that you can use FUNC 3 while in the TG viewer/editor to change the table. But the only selections provided are "normal", "splinter" and "multi-table". In WIN97 there is the additional step of being able to select which table you want when Multi-Table is selected.

I have the software, but I thought it would be a simple matter to put the Roseville channels in reprogram the radio. Oh Well. Anyway, all is well, radio works just fine now. Thanks again.
I believe in having all frequencies of a TRS programmed in to my radios. Since the prior system had 10 frequencies, and the current has 11; one needed to be added. As luck would have it, I have Roseville as the first frequencies in its bank. So everything else had to be moved down, a task much better handled by software.

In my continuing quest to be able to program anything manually that I can do with software, I tried the FUNC 3 command. I never did test it out before downloading from the software. Perhaps when I get my next '300 I'll try and program in the cc freqs and make the settings manually to see if it works.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Ok everyone, I have a question: I did the update a couple days ago when avtarsingh posted it, and included the custom bandplan that he showed in the submission. Because I haven't worked on a lot of TRS's, I asked other Admins to review it for errors. I was told that I should not have included the bandplan because it looked like only a partial bandplan, and unless the system was non-standard, I shouldn't need it.

So, I went in and deleted the bandplan I had entered, and just kept the updated frequencies. Anyone who has already made the leap and is getting reception (and knows TRS systems), please let me know by PM or submission whether there needs to be a bandplan, and if so, what the complete bandplan is.

I can't do it myself because I have a PRO=97, and they just put me out of the Roseville monitoring business until I can get a new scanner...damn.

Thanks,

David

I am not sure about the Radio Shack/GRE radios but on the Unidens you do need to program the TRS band plan as shown here under "Motorola 800 Custom Band Plan (Rebanding)".

I have done it for the Vacaville/Fairfield and Roseville TRS now and it works on both.

Last edited:

Markinsac

I updated my 396XT tonight using Freescan - saw that both custom bands were in the fields (the way it was before was mixing the band edges for band 2 with the offset for band 1). I set the download to only download the control channels, and also set control channel only on the system page. Downloaded to the scanner, and I am now picking up the Roseville system with no problems.

I'll monitor for a bit - since this is a new system, you never know if they will decide to put another control channel up on the system.

sacscan

Rebanding

Last night I programmed Roseville's system into my BCD396T. I have the latest firmware (3.02.02). Unlike the good old days when Roseville was on 866-868, I could not receive any control channel or voice audio when I cycled through the frequencies manually, or when I did a limit search between 851-854 MHz.

Tonight I drove towards Roseville, and when I was in Folsom I started receiving control channel noise on all 11 programmed frequencies when I cycled through them manually. However, doing a limit search produced normal audio on the voice channels, and control channel noise on 853.550 (new data channel). When I got to Roseville the problem with the programmed frequencies got worse. Full-scale control channel noise on all 11 frequencies programmed, and NO TRUNKING! Of course, doing a limit search yielded normal results, with the data channel still on 853.550.

I know I programmed the system correctly. I tried scanning with and without the custom band plan that used to be in the database. No dice.

Anybody have any ideas, or do I need to save up for a BCD396XT? I would prefer to stick with Uniden if possible.

Markinsac

Anybody have any ideas, or do I need to save up for a BCD396XT? I would prefer to stick with Uniden if possible.

Make sure you have both band plans from the following page programmed into your system.

Software Support for Uniden Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

I know that the XT in Freescan needs to have system as Motorola II, and the site as Motorola Custom/Reband - don't know if the 396T has the same windows for programming.

I had some difficulty for a little while when I only had the control channels in the Trunk Frequencies tab - when I reloaded all the frequencies, and then checked Control Channel only on the Site Setup page, everything seemed to work.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Roseville after rebanding

I could not receive any control channel or voice audio when I cycled through the frequencies manually, or when I did a limit search between 851-854 MHz.

... when I was in Folsom I started receiving control channel noise on all 11 programmed frequencies when I cycled through them manually.
This just does not sound right, regardless of programming or the brand of scanner you are using. I get the control channel on one frequency. I might add, that it seems as though reception is better since this change too.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber

On the 396T you must set up a 800 custom system and enter the band plan then enter all the system frequencies. I did it by hand to make sure it worked, the Roseville system is not that hard to program by hand.

I might add, that it seems as though reception is better since this change too.

I agree. I was up in Roseville early this moring covering some news and the audio quality and reception seemed to be much better than the old frequencies. I also used to get lots of interference on SRRCS from the old Roseville control channel when near the Roseville PD station and that interference is now gone.

Last edited:

sacscan

Works now

OK, I took the advice of Markinsac and scannerboy02 and programmed both band plans, as per Uniden's instructions. Now I can hear Roseville in Sac again and it works perfect. Reception is about the same as it was with the old system, and the control channel is still 853.550 as of this posting.

I looked at my Vacaville/Fairfield rebanded TRS programming (which works flawlessly), and sure enough I had entered both band plans when they rebanded last year. The reason I didn't enter both band plans the first time I programmed Roseville was because other posters reported that their scanners worked fine with one band plan or none. To top it off, the one band plan that was in the database was deleted 2/26.

I guess the moral of the story is to always follow Uniden's directions. Thanks to all who responded.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
u only need to have the bandplan that applies to the freqs in use

all of roseville's freqs are covered within the lower freq bandplan

so thats all you need

i highly recommend the 396 xt

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
I'm the one who deleted the band plan from the Roseville page on 2/26. I don't have a lot of experience dealing with TRS stuff, so I asked senior staff to review it. I was told that the band plan didn't "look right" and I should probably remove it. I did notice that I can only put one frequency in, there is no way to put both lower and upper freqs in the table. So, once again, I'm not sure which way is the correct way to finish this page...

OK, I took the advice of Markinsac and scannerboy02 and programmed both band plans, as per Uniden's instructions. Now I can hear Roseville in Sac again and it works perfect. Reception is about the same as it was with the old system, and the control channel is still 853.550 as of this posting.

I looked at my Vacaville/Fairfield rebanded TRS programming (which works flawlessly), and sure enough I had entered both band plans when they rebanded last year. The reason I didn't enter both band plans the first time I programmed Roseville was because other posters reported that their scanners worked fine with one band plan or none. To top it off, the one band plan that was in the database was deleted 2/26.

I guess the moral of the story is to always follow Uniden's directions. Thanks to all who responded.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As long as the database has the site flagged as rebanded (which it does), then you don't need to put a band plan entry in the dB. All rebanded sites use the same band plan (so far...there technically could be a 2nd band plan used, but no one who has gone down that path has gone live). As long as the entry is properly flagged as to type, the entry is good to go.

My only other suggestion for Roseville would be to give the site a meaningful name. "Simulcast" is what is going to show up for that system on some scanners as the primary system identifier. Since it is a single site entry, I think I'd call it "Roseville PS".

UPDATE: Ooh, one more...I'd put the geographic coordinates in for the system so that scanners that had the ability to be GPS controlled can be directly populated with location and range from the database.

Last edited:

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Sounds good! I changed the name of the site to "Roseville City", because it is a citywide system, not just the Public Safety agencies; I updated the geo coords last week when I did the original update. Roseville's page should be current as of now. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

As long as the database has the site flagged as rebanded (which it does), then you don't need to put a band plan entry in the dB. All rebanded sites use the same band plan (so far...there technically could be a 2nd band plan used, but no one who has gone down that path has gone live). As long as the entry is properly flagged as to type, the entry is good to go.

My only other suggestion for Roseville would be to give the site a meaningful name. "Simulcast" is what is going to show up for that system on some scanners as the primary system identifier. Since it is a single site entry, I think I'd call it "Roseville PS".

UPDATE: Ooh, one more...I'd put the geographic coordinates in for the system so that scanners that had the ability to be GPS controlled can be directly populated with location and range from the database.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For a trunked system, location goes in at three levels:

1) System level
2) Site level. If nothing is entered, location is "inherited" from the system level.
3) Channel Group level. If nothing is entered, location is "inherited from the system level.

I see that you've put in at the Site level, but because of inheritance, the most important is #1 (but all three levels can be important for a larger system that has multiple sites and/or covers multiple cities).

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
i can't say enough good stuff about freescan - makes stuff so easy to program -

i entered the lower rebanded freq bandplan quite easily
its a shame uniden doesnt have software that works this good
to charge for a software key for a bct15 is pretty rank

i would endorse uniden scanners over ANY other brand all day long but the software is lacking

i love freescan and it works on ALL the different types of uniden scanners i have

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Fixed. Thanks for the information!

For a trunked system, location goes in at three levels:

1) System level
2) Site level. If nothing is entered, location is "inherited" from the system level.
3) Channel Group level. If nothing is entered, location is "inherited from the system level.

I see that you've put in at the Site level, but because of inheritance, the most important is #1 (but all three levels can be important for a larger system that has multiple sites and/or covers multiple cities).

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Anyone happen to know if any of the SRRCS radios have had the Roseville rebanded system programed into them?

I know several Metro Fire stations (27, 28, 25) go into Roseville on mutual aid a lot and was wondering if they can still communicate directly with Roseville on the new system.

sonticus

Anyone happen to know if any of the SRRCS radios have had the Roseville rebanded system programed into them?

I know several Metro Fire stations (27, 28, 25) go into Roseville on mutual aid a lot and was wondering if they can still communicate directly with Roseville on the new system.

From what I've heard the SRRCS portables will not be able to communicate with Roseville until SRRCS is rebanded. Not sure if there is some contingency plan to allow those stations to communicate with RPD in the meantime.

clanusb

Metro units know they cant talk to Roseville on the 800 system. They have to contact Roseville on VHF channels.

A metro unit was just dispatched to Roseville for a fire. The unit ( i think it was E27 ) was told on A2 to go to Roseville tac 4. E27 informed dispatch they werent able to talk to Roseville on the 800, and they were going to make contact on VHF.

I do not have Roseville programmed, so let me know how that worked out.

The call was placed around 11:37pm. on 3/3/10

Last edited:

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Engine 27 was just dispatched with Roseville for a crash on I-80 and was told by Fire Dispatch to contact Roseville on Roseville Fire Tac 4 and engine 27 told dispatch they were no longer able to operate on Roseville's 800 system and would come up on Roseville Fire VHF.

Edit, What clanusb said. Glad I was not the only one who heard that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.