rebanding in the 700's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffy

Folks, when do y'all suppose rebanding will start in the 700's? Also, who will be the type of entities moving there?

Jeff ... southeastern Ohio

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Folks, when do y'all suppose rebanding will start in the 700's? Also, who will be the type of entities moving there?

Jeff ... southeastern Ohio

I don't think there are any plans to reband the 700 MHz band. It is a new band and does not suffer from Nextel like interference like the 860 region did which was the whole reason for rebanding in the first place.
Many agencies are getting licenses in the 700 band and I have several here but they did not reband. It is simply new licensee's or license additions. Some have also moved but did so by their own free will.

Last edited:

dw2872

That's the band previously assigned to analog TV. I heard they were going split that freq spectrum into blocks and auction the paired blocks to cell phone companies and use a large unpaired block for public safety.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That's the band previously assigned to analog TV. I heard they were going split that freq spectrum into blocks and auction the paired blocks to cell phone companies and use a large unpaired block for public safety.

I would think the licenses they are granting now are to stay. Surely they do not want another Nextel type mess which costs a ton of money to fix for the end user.
Then again, what do I know! Government at work.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Rebanding has nothing to do with the migration to 700 - read this article and this will become clear...

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

As for entities, for the most part, Public Service trunking systems are impacted. In addition, any interop frequencies will also need to move.

73 Mike

I would think the licenses they are granting now are to stay. Surely they do not want another Nextel type mess which costs a ton of money to fix for the end user.
Then again, what do I know! Government at work.

800 rebanding per the FCC agreement was at no cost to the PS ends users but was paid for by Sprint-Nextel.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
800 rebanding per the FCC agreement was at no cost to the PS ends users but was paid for by Sprint-Nextel.

Yes, you are correct on that and that is how I intended my post to read;) I've fixed it below.
My post was to say: "Surely they do not want another Nextel type mess which cost Nextel a ton of money to fix and an inconvenience for the end user."

I know the inconvenience for the end user part was not bad for many systems and in fact was fairly transparent but I've heard of some that were headaches for the users and/or system admins.

Sorry for not proofreading my own post plus thanks for clarifying it!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
As for entities, for the most part, Public Service trunking systems are impacted. In addition, any interop frequencies will also need to move.

73 Mike

Now I'm confused. The Public Service systems you speak of, they will not be forced to move to 700 correct? Or is that not the case. I was under the impression that a move to 700 was voluntary for currently existing trunked public safety systems. Now the Interops I did suspect would find homes in 700 as is evidenced by licenses I see for interop frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.