Rebanding makes strange problem, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
As covered in another thread, Charlotte Co, has rebanded frequencys.

Here my strange problem & questions.

I am a RadioShack store manager, since Monday, I've had about 50 customers calling or bringing in their scanners, unaware of this change, wanting me to fix each one.

Our company did away with the stores programming scanners a few years ago, they removed the software & cables we used on our stores computers.

Since then, stores started stocking /selling a usb cable w/software for the customers to use on their own or needing to find a local guru that can help them.

For my customers, I was the expert, having programed hundreds of them over the years.

Now, here the question, I of course want to help all my customers, but have no tools or the time to help all of them.

Aside from telling them to join our forum for expert help, which is a great idea, what would you do in my shoes ?

Many of my customers are older, some have no computers, most have no idea how to re-program their own scanners.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Assuming the scanners we are talking about are models current enough to support rebanding, I'd bring in my presonal laptop with software & cable and program their scanners that way.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
As covered in another thread, Charlotte Co, has rebanded frequencys.

Here my strange problem & questions.

I am a RadioShack store manager, since Monday, I've had about 50 customers calling or bringing in their scanners, unaware of this change, wanting me to fix each one.

Our company did away with the stores programming scanners a few years ago, they removed the software & cables we used on our stores computers.

Since then, stores started stocking /selling a usb cable w/software for the customers to use on their own or needing to find a local guru that can help them.

For my customers, I was the expert, having programed hundreds of them over the years.

Now, here the question, I of course want to help all my customers, but have no tools or the time to help all of them.

Aside from telling them to join our forum for expert help, which is a great idea, what would you do in my shoes ?

Many of my customers are older, some have no computers, most have no idea how to re-program their own scanners.

If you don't have the time to do the actual programming, I would print up a little hand-out instruction sheet to assist your customers in becoming self proficient in scanner programming since Radio Shack could care less.

It is nice to see your concern for your customers. This is very rare at Radio Shack these days. Senior management should take some lessons from you.

Tryton

If you don't have the time to do the actual programming, I would print up a little hand-out instruction sheet to assist your customers in becoming self proficient in scanner programming since Radio Shack could care less.

It is nice to see your concern for your customers. This is very rare at Radio Shack these days. Senior management should take some lessons from you.

+1000 Customer service

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I helped you out before. Do you have a store model? I'll come up from Fort Myers and program it for you. Then you can clone them... k4ihs insertatsignhere comcast.net

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
I helped you out before. Do you have a store model? I'll come up from Fort Myers and program it for you. Then you can clone them... k4ihs insertatsignhere comcast.net

Yes, I remember, thanks for the help.

Right now I have the Pro197 & Pro196 on display.

I tried changing the 868.4000 , 6000, 8500, 9000 to 853._ _ _ _ etc... and the scanner hung on the 853.4000 freq

I tried the trunking mode, would not go into trunk mode. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I don't have the Pro107's .<--- those have the programming cable that came with the unit. Not sure how to handle those.

Dave

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Let me know what hours you'll be at the store on Sunday and Monday. I'll stop by... :)

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Let me know what hours you'll be at the store on Sunday and Monday. I'll stop by... :)

I manage the Port Charlotte store now, Rt 41 , between Olean & Harbor. Promenades shopping center.
3280 Tamiami Trial, Store phone: (941) 255-1120

Sunday 12 - 6 , I'll be there at nine, but will be busy until noon with store inventory.
Monday 10 - 6

Thanks , That is just great.

Dave

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
@CoolBlue/7GT: I sent you a PM. If you didn't get it, you can email me at WX1JAD@gmail.com

WX1JAD said:
Saw your post on RadioReference. I'd be glad to assist. I've been programming scanners for the local Venice Radio Shacks for a while now. You can contact Bob at the south Venice store for reference. We've worked together well. Give me a call if you'd like more information.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the message, yes, I know Bob in Venice well. I'm so glad we have forum members that can offer help like you & K4IHS

On the front lines at the store, I feel so helpless when selling scanners these days. When I tell them here's the cable you'll need to program your scanner, I feel like I'm abandoning them, instead of offing the service I was once able to provide.

In the past I'd have a customer wait a few minutes as I'd use our Scancat-lite software on their new scanners, then they would be a happy customer for life.

I'd get one or two back now and then as they would accidentally lock out the data channel, wondering why it "magically" stopped working. They would be amazed when I would hit one button and restore unit, by unlocking the frequency.

Now that we are left with out the tools we once had, I feel like I'm not providing the best service, but as I must, the corporate line is , "sell em the cable & move on to the next customer" (not officially, but close)

Thanks , I'll keep your message & may call on your expertise now & then.

Dave Lambert
Retired FF: Frederick County MD
Former Frederick County Sheriff Dept Fire Police

Thayne

Good that we all have the spirit of helping others out--I Re-programmed a scanner yesterday for a little old lady and she gave me a ceramic Fish that has "Bait" in pink letters on both sides :p

Hellzabeth

Premium Subscriber
This is a great thread...you almost make me want to come down there for help...lol. I agree it's great you care about your customers like that. And what man has enough ceramic fish anyway!

Hellzabeth

Premium Subscriber
If anyone knows a "helper" in the Tampa area that wouldn't mind a nice fish, I would love the help. The "kid" in my local RS looked at my scanner (as I was looking on the wall for the 9V adapter) and turned it around a few times as if it was a Rubik's cube and said, "What do you use these things for anyway?". I figured with that question I should keep my response easy to understand, so I replied, "Just listening to stuff." Oy,

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
K4IHS said:
Great seeing you again Dave. Let me know if you need anymore help...

Thanks for the help, using the base station unit, we've been cloning a bunch of scanners & sold a few scanners w/ new programming. Wish it would do the older scanners.

I managed to get the Pro-107's setup w/ the firmware update & new frequencies using the software that comes with the 107's.

After working bell to bell @ the store almost every day, wish I had more time to spend with this project. Still need to download the freescan software we talked about.

Would love to become as proficient as you are, as we move into the new year, I may be able to find the time & strength to learn how to use the software.

I found my older laptop wouldn't hook up to the mobile hotspot the cell phone provides, so I had to bring in my Acer laptop running vista.

Looking forward to hearing from my company on a better solution to help the customers out. So far, haven't heard any feedback.

Anyway, thanks again for coming to the rescue again, you helped make a bunch of my customers happy.

Hope you had a great Christmas & best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Dave

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
All the RR folks reading this thread are wishing their Radio Shack manager was as good as you! I'm just 20 minutes down the road Dave if you need anymore help. And... if you want a lesson on the software lets meet for coffee away from the store where there are less distractions. :)

Hellzabeth

Premium Subscriber
All the RR folks reading this thread are wishing their Radio Shack manager was as good as you!
Amen to that. I finally went into a different RS and as soon as I uttered the word "scanner" and held mine out, the guy behind the counter (not the person I was talking with) reached over and handed me a business card for a guy who used to work there and programs them as a side gig. At least I'm hooked up now.

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
In my continuing search on trying to help my customers,

If I wanted to Purchase a license for the Butel software & Purchase a RadioReference.com Premium Subscription, I would need to purchase the following to support my customers

Advanced / Digital Radios ($39.99/each)
Trunking Radios ($29.99/each)
180 Days Access - $15.00 USD

$85 dollars for 180 days, or $99.98 to 360 days

That's a lot of money for me to spend to support my customers, who I can not charge for the reprogramming service. (against my policy)

I know a fellow member told me about other software, freescan & a few others.

To be frank, I can't afford to spend 100 bucks for software. (edit, well, can afford, should read, "don't want to spend 100")

Don't want to "fold up my tent & leave town", but can't help but think there is a better way to access software.

What do most of the members here use ?

Currently in store, I have about 6 customer scanners to program
Pro-106 , Pro-2055, Pro-528, Pro-164 Pro-90, Pro-95 and a few others.

The Pro-197 that K4IHS programmed for me is working great, it will only clone to a few scanners.

Thanks for any advise, Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.