• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rebanding of GMRS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

I have a question.With the FCC telling all of the users of two way radio systems that they will have to buy new equipment.I am a GMRS License Holder KAF3207 and was wanting to find out if by 2013 if I will have to buy new equipment to use on our local GMRS repeater? Is GMRS going to re-band or our we going to stay the way we are.I enjoy my GMRS and using our local repeater to work with others when help is needed.If anyone can share any infomation on this I would like to hear from you.I only want to hear from other GMRS license holders and people who are in the know of what is going on with GMRS.Thank You For Your Help. Tim DeLong GMRS KAF3207

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Well if you did a search you would easily find the answers. Re-banding ONLY applys to PS 800Mhz. Narrowbanding does not apply to GMRS, Marine or Amateur services. This has been stated in numerous threads here on RR

W2NJS

A while back the FCC asked for comments about GMRS, but since then there has been no further word on the subject and certainly no new NPRM regarding GMRS has been issued by them. From regular reading of this Board, the consensus is that any possible GMRS rule changes are 'way off in the future.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Ha ha ha. Nice!

W9NES

Thanks for the update and I was not aware of any updates on this issue. That is the reason why I asked for people to post on this fourm on GMRS.I did not do a google search on this as I wanted updated infomation from Real users of GMRS who would be up up to date on this. Thanks to all who posted and very usefull infomation to those of us who have been told nothing on this.The only way we know anything is by sharing infomation.Thanks for the infomation.

jf4164

Also, narrowbanding does NOT apply to frequencies in the 30-50 Mhz region. I have a couple of business systems down there and I'M SAFE.. Starts at 150 Mhz--but does NOT apply to us GMRS guys..

Thanks for the update and I was not aware of any updates on this issue. That is the reason why I asked for people to post on this fourm on GMRS.I did not do a google search on this as I wanted updated infomation from Real users of GMRS who would be up up to date on this. Thanks to all who posted and very usefull infomation to those of us who have been told nothing on this.The only way we know anything is by sharing infomation.Thanks for the infomation.
Total agreement here. I can't stand those who just say google it and thats it. That isn't what a forum is for.

Dantian

A while back the FCC asked for comments about GMRS, but since then there has been no further word on the subject and certainly no new NPRM regarding GMRS has been issued by them. From regular reading of this Board, the consensus is that any possible GMRS rule changes are 'way off in the future.

Is 2012 way off in the future?

The final decision in the NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) for GMRS changes is very much in process, having been completed at the staff level and is now under review by the top officials in the wireless bureau.

It has to be OK'd by other parts of the FCC -- especially engineering and enforcement, which it could greatly impact -- and should land in the Commissioners' inbox for their vote I would think by the end of 2Q 2012 if not before.

We will probably see the changes take effect by the end of 2012.

New nominees for FCC Commissioner are now in the running, and if they were to take office, that could delay things. For example this dude:

http://www.indiawest.com/news/1495-ajit-pai-nominated-as-commissioner-to-fcc.html

On the other hand, GMRS might as well be an alien planet at those top levels of the FCC. Nobody knows what it is if it is not spectrum worth billions, and does not have lobbyists coming in every day. They may have an idea what ham radio is but GMRS is way down in the techie. Thus the changes can glide through without anyone important caring about it.

Note that this GMRS NPRM is not to be confused with another one affecting GMRS that the FCC has said would be issued by the end of 2011. That one is concerned with the license fees only. Still waiting on that.

Last edited:

Dantian

Dantain, ...what are the proposed rule changes?

Well I think the best explanations are here:

PRSG HomePage

http://home.provide.net/~prsg/issues10-119.txt

and there is plenty of discussion on it in this GMRS forum, so look at previous threads.

The deadline for the public to send their comments expired over a year ago. But it is still possible to meet with FCC officials about this, provided that strict rules are followed. This is an example of such a meeting:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021649084

OCO

Dantian:
What indication do you have of any FCC activity on 10-119? (beyond continuing to file comments). The ECFS search for proceedings shows the original NPRM Docket 10-119 dated 6/1/2010 and a letter accepting a comment after closure of the comment period dated 8/31/2010. If the Commission is working on this, it sure isn't commenting in public.

Also what happened to PSRG? - they haven't posted anything on their website for over a year.......

Dantian

OK, thanks - just seemed strange that there was no public communications on the progress.

Some NPRMs take years with no peep as to what is happening. Then sometimes they throw the whole thing out because "the record is stale".

What I posted is what they told me, with my rant attached at no extra charge.

A subcommittee of the House has just passed a bill that would further sloww things down at FCC by requiring them to do more studies and create more justifications before they issue NPRMs.

One might think that they should have done such things before this GMRS NPRM but I don't know if it would be an improvement. I think it could add more obstacles and resistance. Perhaps it would add more federal employees to do that extra work...

Status
Not open for further replies.